13 March, 2010

Gone With the Wind

My dear, I don't give a damn.

Rhett Butler's words are my sentiments exactly for many parts of this book. If you'll excuse the language, no, I don't give a damn for Scarlett for the most part, nor Ashley, nor Rhett, and not even Melanie. They all lack something very, very important, and I find that infinitely frustrating. At least now I know what happens, and if someone quotes from Gone With the Wind, I'll at least know what it is they're talking about.

Do I recommend this book? It depends. If you are someone who enjoys stories about people living during the Civil War and after, then yes, by all means, READ IT. If you are, however, the kind of person who prefers Aretmis Fowl and Genius Squad and The Five Ancestors, then I don't think this is your piece of cake. But that is my opinion, and you'll have to try it to find out.

2 comments:

Brooke R. Busse said...

I read this book a couple of years ago, but from what I can remember, there were times when I liked the characters and times I didn't. I did, however, most often find it interesting.

If you thought this long and tedious, try making the movie. It was a good movie, but sooo long.

The Golden Eagle said...

Brooke: I found parts of interesting, too; but overall I didn't really like it.

I've seen it in the library . . . while I don't mind long movies, I probably wouldn't enjoy it much, based on what I thought of the book.

And wow, this is a old post to comment on! Thanks for reading. :)