21 March, 2010

Pretties

Pretties
Author: Scott Westerfeld
Genre: SF

***SPOILERS*** (consider yourself warned . . .)

I did not especially like this book at all. Yes, the general idea of being free/ugly vs. controlled/pretty is a good argument; that part I found "though-provoking" as it says in one of the reviews. However, there were several other things I didn't like.

One thing was the language. Tell me I've been living under a rock, but I've never heard anyone use the phrases "brain-missing", or "pretty-making" or anything else "whatever-making". At least not that I remember. So that is one thing that annoys. People don't actually talk like that, and, frankly, I think it's a little stupid.

And for another complaint, I do NOT like the whole David/Zane thing. Unlike Twilight, Westerfeld does not put enough emphasis on this; Tally blows David off like he's nothing. (And I think that David's much more committed to the Smoke, and after all, ZANE GAVE AWAY SO MUCH INFORMATION IT'S NAUSEATING.) One moment away from precious Zane, and it's over. It's like, OK, David's ugly, Zane's pretty, I've been through so much Zane and not with David, let's stay with Zane and possibly reveal all my friends in the process! Besides! Zane's so bubbly!! And while she might believe that she isn't programmed to like the person who's prettier, I think it's true. Natural selection, anyone?

And Shay-la. Ugh, ugh, ugh. Do I despise that girl. You know, I think she's a tad hypocritical if you ask me. For one thing, she's one moment spitting fire at Tally for revealing the Smoke, and then it's cozy-cozy. If Tally had any head at all, I think she'd forget about Shay for at least a little while. Don't lose her altogether, but you can't let some self-mutilating idiot get in the way of rescuing dozens of other people . . .

So my overall rating is low. It's worse than Uglies, and I'm not sure if I'll bother to read Specials, but I probably will anyways. I don't like leaving things undone, or it nags until I do.

3 comments:

Icewolf said...

weird, i sorta liked it actually...

Icewolf said...

but then again, there a few books that i hate! :D

Brooke R. Busse said...

They're supposed to sound different from how people talk today. The story is futuristic. It wouldn't make sense for them to talk the exact same way.

Of course, I'm reading this almost two years later. You might know this by now. :)