16 March, 2010

St. Patrick's Day

It's tomorrow, so I just want to say a few things about it. For one, this is (supposedly) a holiday to celebrate Irish culture, isn't it? Well, it seems like, instead, Americans seem to use it as a day to goof off and be rather insulting to the Irish. Drinking, acting up, going crazy . . . it seems like that's the stereotype of Irish people, and that's NOT TRUE.

If people, for example, said that Italians or English people were thugs and heavy drinkers who frequently lost their heads, what would those countries think and say at the US? Ireland is not all leprechauns and fools. I don't know why Ireland tolerates that kind of representation, but we shouldn't take advantage of it.

So, my point is, before anyone goes to party and wear green, (hey, I like green, so that part I'm not opposed to :) think about what you're actually celebrating--the real Ireland, or just a tiny, tiny part of its culture.

1 comment:

Icewolf said...

come to my blog soon and i'll have something of my own about st.Patrick's day