16 April, 2010

The Space Program

Yes!!! I'm happy that they're going to start building new rockets for the space program and not cut the whole thing, stopping spaceflight. After all, we can't advance if we're staying on the ground.

I know some people will not be happy with this, since tax dollars are funding this thing, but I think it's worth the cost. Space is unchartered and unknown--humans are adventurers and there could be goldilocks planets within reach in the future! (Okay, in the future, or wa-a-a-y in the future. But it's possible we'll find one sometime . . .)

*****

Now for a review of a book I just finished yesterday evening . . .

Title: Beka Cooper: Terrier
Author: Tamora Pierce
Genre: YA Fantasy/Adventure
Rating: 4.5 out of 5

The good: I like the heroine. She's strong, and has good ideas. I simply cannot stand people who are weak and don't have any backbone. As a Puppy (the terminology is a bit strange, but you get used to it) Beka is determined to find the Shadow Snake and crackdown on the person digging up fire opals through slave labor. She sticks with it, and while tired, she doesn't show many signs of being about to give up. Romance? Sure. Rosto may be a rusher (hired thug, essentially), but that doesn't seem to stop the "mots" from thinking he's attractive. Beka has willpower when it comes to him, too. She's not a sap.

The bad: Wording, perhaps. I think the whole Dog/Puppy/Fetch thing is a little weird, since they talk to Beak and her fellow peers like they really are puppies at their master's command. Sometimes it can be confusing. Like gixie, doxie, cove, mot, and a host of others.

Do I recommend this book? Yes! The plot is well done and it drew me straight in, even though I never expected to really like the book. (It's now one of my favorites and I can't wait to read Bloodhound.)

Back cover:

"The Lower City is mine, it's people are mine. If I find them that's doing all this kidnapping and murdering, they'd best pray for mercy, because once I get my teeth in 'em, I will never let them go." (Rebakah Cooper)
*****

I need to do The Teen Girl's Day Book, so here we go:

Date...April 16th, 2010
Starting time...8:09 AM
Mood...chipper
Outside my window...SUNSHINE. And after lightning and thunder last night
I'm thinking...about Beka Cooper
I'm reading...I'm in limbo right now with that, since I just finished something last night.
I'm listening to...nothing
I'm wearing...green plaid shirt over green tee-shirt, black gauchos
Yesterday, I...broke my writer's block once again
I'm excited for...today. :)
I'm sad because...not really sad . . .
I'm hungry for...excitement!
The song stuck inside my head is...nothing's stuck in my head right now
I want...to RUN today
I love...running, working vehicles (don't ask)
I loathe...polluters! *grrr*
This week, my goal is...to finish part of my portfolio just to get it over with
Did I meet last week's goal?...YES.
Ending time...8:12 AM

***

Well, that's all for now, mates.

----The Golden Eagle

1 comment:

Memzie said...

Every time I read your blog, I learn something new. Your interests always fascinate me!