16 April, 2010

A Literature Tag For All!

First off, thank you Cassie! Anyone who wants to {steal} this tag is free to do so, and I will not set the dogs on you. ;D It's super-long, and I like that. Now, here are the questions and here are my answers:

Top 3 Authors:
Eoin Colfer
Neil Gaiman
Kenneth Oppel
(there are SO many others that write just as well and I love them too, but these came to mind immediately)

Top 3 male characters:
Artemis Fowl
Matt Cruse
Dodge Anders

Top 3 female characters:
Kiki Strike
Hok
Sammy Keyes
(once again, there are many others, but these are a few especial favorites)

Top 30 fiction books in no particular order:
The Five Ancestors: Tiger
Monkey
Snake
Crane
Eagle
Mouse (I have not read Dragon, but you can bet it would be on here)
Kiki Strike: Inside the Shadow City
Kiki Strike: The Empress's Tomb
Artemis Fowl
Artemis Fowl: The Opal Deception
AF: The Eternity Code
AF: The Time Paradox
(So I like Artemis Fowl . . .)
Airborn
Skybreaker
Starclimber
Beka Cooper: Terrier
Evil Genius
Incarceron
Sammy Keyes: The Hotel Thief
SK: The Art of Deception
Graceling
Fire
The Dragon Keeper
The Garden of the Purple Dragon
The Dragon Never Sleeps (not part of the above-mentioned series of two)
Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment
MR: School's Out--Forever
Deeper
The Looking Glass Wars
The Mysterious Benedict Society
(That's 30, right?)

Top 3 books most recently read:
Tim: Defender of the Earth
Beka Cooper
Scat

Worst 3 books ever read:
Twilight
The Dark Portal
A Curse Dark as Gold (I know this book is popular, but I really didn't like the characters or the plot)

Top 5 scenes from any book:

Artemis Fowl: When AF Jr. and Holly are in the pod, right after Artemis realizes that he'd been mindwiped and that he and the elf were friends. (It's not as sappy as it sounds, you know but that's the scene in a nutshell . . .)

Airborn Trilogy: When Matt points to the Aurora and is with Kate.

Hrrrmmm. This is getting tough . . .

The Sweet Far Thing: When Gemma is with Kartik at the Tree of All Souls. (I can't say much, for it would give it away . . .)

Crane: when Hok and her mother are reunited after 8 years.

The Abhorsen Trilogy: Last scene with the Disreputable Dog walking along the river.

The book(s) that made me cry the most:
The Book Thief
The Bartimaeus Trilogy

The book(s) that made me laugh the most:
Kiki Strike
Twiliight (it was just so corny I couldn't help it.)
Artemis Fowl
Pendragon (I'm not recommending this--amusing, sure, but very, very repetitive after a few books. Same plot/poisons/similar places.)

The book(s) that made me feel that best at the end:
The Sweet Far Thing
Airborn
Coraline
Gosh, I can't seem to remember anything else, yet I know there are dozens . . . why is it that things fly out of your head when you try hard?

Contemporary or Historical?
Contemporary, though historical can be very interesting, given the character and plot . . .

Science Fiction, Fantasy, or Horror?
You're asking me to choose between SF and Fantasy!?!?!? Both, I'm afraid. I love both.

Hardback, Trade Paperback or Mass Market Paperback?
Hardback, please. I like reading things that have substance.

Barnes & Noble or Amazon?
Barnes & Noble when I can, but Amazon is much easier if I just want to order something. If I want to smell that wonderful aroma of the cafe and fresh pages, though, I prefer B&N.

Bookmark or dog-ear?
Bookmark. DOG-EARS ARE BAD FOR THE BOOK.

Alphabetize by auther, alphabetize by title, or organize not at all?
By where they fit on my shelf.

Star Wars or Star Trek?
I've never seen either, though I'd like to.

Keep, Throw Away, or Sell?
Keep, if I like the book, or if I don't really like it, I guess donate, although I've never had to do that . . .

Keep dust-jacket or toss it?
Keep the dust-jacket. Books are so much more attractive when they have a nice jacket with a good image on the front.

Read with dust-jacket or remove it?
With, most of the time.

Little Women or Anne of Green Gables?
I've never read Anne of Green Gables, so I suppose Little Women.

Short story or novel?
Novel, please. However, as long as the plot's OK, I'll take either.

Stop reading when tired or at chapter breaks?
Chapter breaks. Unless the story really doesn't attract me.

"It was a dark and stormy night" or "Once upon a time"?
"It was a dark and stormy night" of course!!

Tear Jerker or Belly Laugh?
Both TJ and BL.

Charlotte, Emily, or Anne Bronte?
I haven't read any of those, though I probably will withing the next few years, either for fun or for school.

Buy or Borrow?
I use the library a lot, but buying is always nice, especially if the book is something I'll re-read over and over again.

Buying choice: Book Reviews, Recommendations, or Browse?
All! Browsing's by favorite though, since I like forming my own opinions.

Collection (short stories by author) or Anthology (short stories by different authors)?
Anthology. I get to learn about authors who write similar things through anthologies.

Standalone or Series?
If I like the book, series, if I think the story's short enough for one fat book, standalone.

Tidy ending or Cliffhanger?
Oooooh. If it's a series, cliffhanger, if not, please give me a tidy ending, but a few loose ends are fine . . .

Morning reading, afternoon reading, or nighttime reading?
All of the above. :) I read morning noon and night.
Favorite genre series?
Um . . .? What's that supposed to mean?

New or used?
I guess new, but libraries are my #1 source for books, since they are expensive.

Favorite book of which nobody else has heard?
(Besides on my Top 30 list) Have any of you ever heard of Monkey by Jeff Stone? A hint? A whisper? Very few people list as one of their favorite on the profile lists, so I am assuming that it's not very common. Hey, I could be wrong and you all could be like "Duh. Of course I've heard of it. Worst book ever . . ."

3 comments:

Cassie said...

Awesome! I loved reading all of your answers... I love Kiki Strike too. You follow Kirsten Miller's blog, don't you?
I can't wait for the 'Darkness Dwellers' to come out!!!

Love in Christ,
Cassie

The Golden Eagle said...

Yes, I follow her blog. The posts get kinda weird and strange (like that mermaid skeleton) but in a good way. :P

KENZY said...

Awesome!!