11 April, 2010

The Trends in YA Literature

When Harry Potter came out, there was a faze of witches and wizards and wands and etc. People took up round glasses and dressed up in black capes and gold-and-red ties for Halloween, and then the movies came out, stirring up fans even more. Books with characters that went off to a boarding school and found magic there sprung up like weeds, and spread across the book spectrum.

Then there was Twilight, with the vampires and werewolves, and Bella. Now girls go around in casts at parties, pretend to be pale, superhuman creatures (boys too) and now the movies are making things even more popular. Vampires are everywhere in the library, with Academies, Diaries, etc., and werewolves are also in a lot of YA literature. (Now, I might just be overreacting, but has anyone noticed that a newer Honda vehicle looks an awful lot like the Mercedes Guard?)

Now I think the newer thing might be demons and angels. The children of an angel/demon and a "mortal" human. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not. It depends on the writer, and what is put on the bookshelves. Stephenie Meyer and J. K. Rowling for example, write well. I can appreciate Meyer's style for certain, but I do not think that she put it to good use. So it depends on whether it's some kind of Romeo-Juliet plot or whether the whole thing actually makes sense.

Currently, my favorite genre is adventure/SF/fantasy, though I suppose they're three genres, actually, though they tend to be put together in books. I am beginning to enjoy science fiction more, though I still have to read some of the more well-known authors like Isaac Asimov. Some SF writers publish books I've read before and enjoyed, like Neil Gaiman (one of my favorite authors) Holly Black (I've read a few of her short stories, but never the Spiderwick Chronicles) and others like them.

So I guess I'll just watch the chips fall where they may, and see if I can find anything worth reading and blogging about.

3 comments:

quintessajazz said...

What books are trending in YA with Angels and Demons? I haven't seen any.

Nice post.

The Golden Eagle said...

The Mortal Intruments Trilogy, (which Meyer greatly enjoys, I might add) Fallen, and there are others, which I can't exactly remember off the top of my head . . .

Thanks. :)

Memzie said...

That is true! Angels and Demons are really starting to pick up. I wonder what will be next?