16 May, 2010

Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld

Title: Leviathan
Author: Scott Westerfeld
Genre: Fantasy/Adventure/Science Fiction (SF)
Rating: 4.5 out of 5

The good: When I started this book, I thought I wouldn't like it because I didn't really like the Uglies Trilogy. But as I started it, I just got completely drawn in the characters, the events, and the setting. I love the idea of "Darwinists" and "Clankers" and ecosystems working as a way of transport and, yes, war. The Leviathan airship is amazing, with the bees and the Flechette bats and the way everything fits together as a whole.

I also found Deryn (who goes by Daryl) a very strong character. I female in the air force for the British, she'd smart, spunky, and definitely no weakling. She can stand up for herself and others.

Alek, the son of the archduke Franz Ferdinand and Sophie is another fascinating character. He may not be used to actual fighting, but he learns as the story progresses and I think does the right thing when its needed.

The action scenes were great, with plenty of tension and the descriptiong fit. The illustrations by Keith Thompson were terrific, and I liked actually being able to see the characters instead of thinking them up in my head. They were well done, too, and gave an extra sense to what the airships and the Stormwalkers looked like.

History plays an important part, too, and I liked that. WWI is not something that's as widely talked about as WWII, and since this is in WWI, I found the information great.

The bad: I didn't really find much wrong with the book.

Do I recommend this book? Absolutely.

Inside flap:

It is the cusp of World War 1, and all the European powers are arming up. The Austro-Hungarians and the Germand have their Clankers, steam-dricen iron machines loaded with guns and ammuniotion. The British Darwinists employ fabricated animals as their weaponry. Their Leviathan is a whale airship, and the most masterful beast in the British fleet.

Aleksander Ferdinand, pince of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, in on the run. His own people had tuned on him. His title is worthless. All he has is a battle-torn Stormwalked and a loyal crew of men.

Deryn Sharp is a ommoner, a girl disguised as a boy in the British Air Service. She's a brilliant aiman. But her sevret is in constant danger of being discovered.

With the Great War brewing, Alek's and Deryn's paths cross in the most unexpected way . . . taking them both aboard the Leviathan on a fantastical, around-the-world adventure. One that will change both their lives forever.
Go check it out!

-----The Golden Eagle

No comments: