18 May, 2010

Specials, Sunrise Over Fallujah, and Moi (who else?)

Specials by Scott Westerfeld

Title: Specials
Author: Scott Westerfeld
Genre: Science Fiction
Rating: 4 out of 5
Cover Rating: 3 out of 5. A little too much face, and not enough background. It's visual, but I think more black/tattoos would be better than seeing her nose really well.

The good: I was surprised that I liked this book. I didn't especially scream when I read Uglies, and I despised Pretties, but I thought that Specials had a different touch. I enjoyed the ending, and I thought that it wound up the trilogy pretty well. And everyone gets a collective smack in the face and reconnect with reality. Life isn't just being pretty, and they learn that. FINALLY.

The bad: Tally isn't human at the end of everything. Can she have kids? Can she survive like a human being? Do microfilaments instead of bones work in the wild? And about staying "icy"--I hate that the Specials have to mutilate themselves just to think clearly. What's wrong with them, really? That's something that never get clarfified; what's really wrong with their brains? What's the lesion do, exactly? How is it put there? How do "nanos" get rid of the lesions? I wish there had been more clarification, because if there's science in a novel, I like it when the science is explained--COMPLETELY, darn it.

Do I recommend this book? Yes. It's not a really strong promotion, but I think that it's worth reading.

Back cover:

SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES

Tally thought they were a rumor, bur now she's one of them. A Special. A super-amped fighitng machine, engineered to keep the uglied down and the pretties stupid.

But maybe being perfectly programmed with strength and focus isn't better than anything she's ever known. Tally still has memories of something else.

But it's easy for her to tune that out--until she's offered a chance to stamp out the rebels of the New Smoke permanently. It all comes down to that one last choice: listen to that tiny, faitn heartbear, or carry out the missions she's programed to complete. Either way, Tally's world will never be the same.
*****

Next book review:

Sunrise Over Fallujah Walter Dean Myers

Title: Sunrise Over Fallujah
Author: Walter Dean Myers
Genre: Modern Fiction (really, what do you call it?)
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
Cover Rating: 5 out of 5. I like the orange-brown tones and the image of the military vehicle and the soldier. It represents so much of the book and is reminiscent of the title.

The good: I liked the aspect of the US Army situation in Iraq. It was well-written and the values were presented in a complicated fashion--perfect for the war setting. It was amusing at times, shocking at others, and a very nice whole. I enjoy reading books based on the military, and this fit my standards quite well.

The bad: Not much, really.

Do I recommend this book? Absolutely!

*Warning*: this is about war, after all. And there's one instance where Captain Miller nearly gets raped.

Inside flap:

Spring 2003

Robin "Birdy" Perry , a new army from Harlem, is not quite sure why he enlisted, but he's sure where he's headed: Iraq. He's riding along with the rest of the Civilian Affairs unit: Marla, the witty gunner; the ever-cool career man Captain Coles; Jonesy, the funny guitar-picking blues player; Victos, an ex-gangbanger; and Captain Miller, a thoughtful and complicated military doctor.
   Birdy and the other in Civilian Affairs are supposed to help secure and stabilize Iraq and successfully interact with the Iraqi people. Officially, the code name for their maneuvers is Operation Iraqi Freedom. But there young men and women in the CA have a simpler name for it:

War.

Much of what Birdy knows about war he learned from the letters his uncle Richie Perry wrote from Vietnam. Seems like a lot of the fear feels the same. But it's a different time, a different war. Caught in the cross fire of a conflict, a country, and a culture he doesn't understand, Birdy soon finds that "winning" sometimes means just surviving--and that hero is a complicated word.
*****

Sound like some good books, huh? Well, I think so at least. Raining right now, and I ran in the dripping weather. :) I highly suggest you go do it too.

I hate writing paragraphs. :P Okay, so I enjoy writing in general, but I just don't see the point in writing and re-writing a paragraph on football team names. Or surnames like "short" and "tall" and "greene" and "smith". What's the point? It doesn't result in anything except a grade and while I appreciate the organizational (is that a word?) skills, it doesn't really catch my brain. Why can't I be organizing mesons and antiparticles instead? I'm learning about them in the first place. *sigh* But I guess football teams are easier to arrange and keep track of.

That was a rant, wasn't it? Maybe I should have a conversation with some of my characters instead . . .

Connor: What am I doing here?
Cassie: Don't ask me. I may be the Endessa, but that doesn't mean I can tell you
Eagle: Hello.
Connor/Cassie: *whirls around*
The Golden Eagle: *grins* yup, it's me all right.
Connor: I am a prince. I demand answers.
Eagle: I suppose I really haven't written about you in a while, huh? I'll get around to your story sometime . . .
Cassie: It's all right, girl. We don't mind, right, Connor?
Cassie: Connor? Where'd he go?
Torment: I'm a Chief, you know. I'm not supposed to be yammering away.
Cassie: Who're YOU?
Torment: Don't ask. I'm not from your world.
Athena: HEY, peoples, you seen the centaur around?
Eagle: Yeah, he's on page 5
Athena: Really?
Torment: I have to go order a ship to 156. And Trompeur's acting up again.
Eagle: Of course she is. What else would she do?
Centaur: Athena?
Cassie: OUCH. That's my HEAD.
Connor: I'm Ba-a-a-ck!
Cassie: lovely. "-_-
Gabriel: Yo, EAGLE. I'm getting DUSTY over here! Write me, please!
Axe: My friend is right, Eagle. Get over here!
Eagle: I can't do you all--
Athena: Sure you can! You just need to--
Lord of Mortals: I am getting impatient.
Eagle: YOU. Get OUT.
Lord of Mortals: *cruel grin* I'm afraid I cannot do that
Centaur: I need my story written!
Athena: You really can get us done--
Axe: YO PEOPLES. Eagle's escaping!
Gabriel: Powers, I draw upon you! Catch that eagle! We need our stories written!
Connor: My beast, to the rescue!
Cassie: Was that directed at me . . . ?
Connor: ATTACK THAT EAGLE!
Cassie: Wait--
Lord of Mortals: There is no time! Make her type!
Axe: CHARGE!
Gabriel: YAAAH!
Eagle: Hehe. It would seem that I have a few irate characters here! Gotta go! *zooms off into the air and off stage*
Characters: NOOO!
Curtain: *sweeps everyone off their feet and out of the blogging world*

-----The Golden Eagle

2 comments:

Icewolf said...

*laughs* nice. Luckily, my characters are all in one book so that they don't demand my attention. Juggling more than three books is tough. ;D

The Golden Eagle said...

Tell me about it. I'm trying to juggle around 7 of them. At least I got that short story finished. :P