28 June, 2010

Book Review: Devilish by Maureen Johnson

devilish maureenjohnson TAYSHAS

Title: Devilish
Author: Maureen Johnson
Genre: Paranormal
Page Count: 263
Rating: 4.8 out of 5
Cover Rating: 5 out of 5. I love this cover! It's so clean and sort of fresh looking, and the cupcake is cute. I'm not sure who the person on the front is, exactly, but the eyes are great and the smile is very devilish. :)

Inside flap:

Jane Jarvis and Allison Concord are desperate to get through senior year at Saint Teresa's Prepatory School for Girls, where barbed wire keeps the boys out and ancient nuns keep the girls in.

Jane and Allison have always been too quirky and different to be popular, but at least they've had ech other. Then, after a hideous, embarrassing disaster, Allison comes to school transformed. Suddenly she has cute hair and clothes. She's fluent in Latin, she won't even speak to Jane, and within days she's stolen Jane's ex-boyfriend Elton.

As strangely wise freshman boy, Owen, helps Jane discover the outrageous truth--that Allison has sold her sould to the devil At first Jane doesn't quite buy it. She plays along with the weirdness--even gambles her own sould in order to rescue Allison's. But events take a turn for the real, and Jane will have to save Allison before the bizarrely exclusive Poodle Prom, and party of biblical proportions that just might blow apart the world as Jane knows it.

The good: I'm not normally a fan of Maureen Johnson. But Devilish is awesome! Really, it is. The plot is good, the characters are interesting, the narrative is funny. Jane herself had spunk, attitude, genius, and is a strong heroine. Her feelings for Allison are strong, and she can hold her own, even when it comes to Elton. (Most of the time.)

I find Owen a break from the stereotype of a rogue, bad boy, and instead, while he's not a real goody-goody, he's sensible. Reasonable. Smart. Nice. Handsome, even. :P Owen isn't the typical hero, and I thank the author for that!

Allison is a bit weak, but that's the point. She fits into the plot well, and Lanalee is perfect, I tell you, for the part she plays.

The bad: Don't read the prologue!! It's probably the only thing that spoiled it for me. The prologue is too revealing, and I don't really like beginnings that represent something that happens toward the end of the story.

Do I recommend this book? Absolutely!

-----The Golden Eagle

6 comments:

laughingwolf said...

sounds like a ya... but fun ;)

Shaynie said...

Looks interesting!!

Memzie said...

Great review!!!

Hey, I was wondering since you are writing a Sci-Fi book, what Sci-Fi books would you recommend?
I am trying to get into the Sci-Fi world but I am not sure which avenue to choose. If you could recommend any that would be great.

The Golden Eagle said...

Thanks guys!

♥Bleah♥Briann♥ said...

Hey! If you love me... which I know you do. You'll go to Guin's Blog (because its awesome) at: www.guinevereamoureaux.blogspot.com
and follow her, and tell her I Bleah Briann @ www.blonde4christ.blogspot.com sent you.

Thanks so much!

With Love and Blessings,
Bleah Briann

The Golden Eagle said...

I already follow her, actually. But I'll put a word in for you some other way. :)