18 July, 2010

Weird . . .

Did you know that the song "Ring Around the Rosie" actually stems from the plague?


Ring around the rosie,
A pocketful of posies.
ashes, ashes.
We all fall down.



Those are the lyrics for the US version; the "ring around the rosie" refers to the rash caused by the plague, the "pocketful of posies" refers the packets of sweet-smelling herbs/etc. due to the thought that the disease was spread by bad smells, and the "ashes, ashes" refers to the cremation of the dead victims. I assume the "we all fall down" part means we all fall down dead.


And I'd been thinking it was a sweet little nursery rhyme. Well, it still is a nursery rhyme, but certainly a more gruesome one.


*****


I just had to share that with you guys. :P I find facts like that intriguing, though it's not going to save my life in a crisis or anything . . .


Not much going on with me. I re-memorized Morse Code for the heck of it, (I used to have it down, but then I forgot; much like the way I forgot 46 moons of Saturn that I once could recite in order) and I watched Isildur's heir summon a dead army last night, aka watch The Return of the King. I like that movie a lot. :)


Oh, and thanks everyone for voting on the poll that used to be on my sidebar! The name "Seirian" got the most votes, and I'm glad; it was my favorite. ;) Though I assure you, I didn't vote. I don't vote on my own polls. The only problem is, it means "sparkly" in another language, and the character isn't all that sparkly. I can work around it though, or just ignore the meaning altogether. Depends, mah friends, on what I do with the plot of my book.


----- -..... --.---.-..-...-. ..---..-...
(-----The Golden Eagle)
Enhanced by Zemanta

6 comments:

Adria said...

Seeing as I am a very sick person (my father also refers to me as his third son) I think "Ring around the rosies" has just gotten 10x better for me. :D

Memzie said...

I had always thought that rhyme had an eerie meaning to it! Thanks for sharing. My instincts were right.

I am impressed with the knowledge that you store up.

Katie aka Popular Joker/ Mrs. Adam Young said...

Wow. I never new that.. that is creepy! lol You are very very smart. Has anyone ever told you that!? :)
Katie

John The Bookworm said...

I've known that for a while, actually. It's so disturbing...though now it makes me want to toy around with it for a book idea. Just that creepy! AH!

Also: Morse code and moon memorizing? Girl, you are crazy. :p

The Golden Eagle said...

Adria: 10x better? :D

Memzie: I always thought it was a little weird, too, since the ashes and the rosies are pretty strangely connected.

Katie/Mrs. Young: It is definitely creepy.

Thanks for the compliment. :)

John: Disturbing things sometimes make the best stories.

Yes, Morse code and moon memorizing! Hey, I get bored sometimes. And when I get bored, I start doing things . . . :D

laughingwolf said...

yup, oil wuff knew alla dat ;)

for really good writing advice, check out alexandra sokoloff's blog, link in my sidebar...