15 August, 2010

I, Robot Movie

So much for following the plot. -_-

For one thing they . . . well, they basically changed EVERYTHING.

Del Spooner (MC in the movie) does NOT exist in the book, Susan Calvin is different in almost every way, Alfred Lanning commits suicide in the beginning, and Robertson is not exactly how I pictured him. And those are the ONLY corresponding characters between the book and the movie, which made me go WHAT?! because normally there's more connection that that.

Still, as a movie, it was good. I would have highly preferred it if they'd named it something else--like The Robot, The Robots, Robots, etc.--since there really is miniscule connection between Asimov's I, Robot and the movie I, Robot. Basically Fox stole some names and pasted some scenes from Asimov's book into the movie and that's where it ends. *sigh* I doubt Isaac Asimov would have allowed them to get away with this if he'd been alive in 2004.

As a movie separate from the book, I found the plot okay, bordering on good. I enjoyed the ending, (relatively speaking) and I liked Sonny--who, like so much else, doesn't exist in the book--and while, as mentioned before, Dr. Calvin (Bridget Moynahan) is different, she was fine with me. Robertson (Bruce Greenwood) fit in as the CEO (or whatever) of USR so I guess they didn't totally bungle that part either. Alfred Lanning (James Cromwell) is almost as I pictured, except for the fact he dies in the beginning of the movie which absolutely does NOT happen at any point in the book. And certainly not under those circumstances; I think he dies of natural causes in the book.

Del Spooner (Will Smith) . . . hmph. I'm not really a big fan of him, although I can certainly see his reason for hating the robots. I thought his attitude was annoyingly laid back and he sort of exploded a few times (hey, I'm fussy about protagonists). However, I do like the way they put in the drowning girl in Spooner's dreams (not the fact she's drowning but the point of it) and the way Sonny reacted to Spooner's orders was satisfying. It proves something, although I can't tell you what for fear of giving it all away . . .

One thing that irritated me is that they put in a whole bunch of loopholes. In I, Robot the book, things are tied up nice and tight and the logic is pretty irrefutable once you think about it. But in the movie, several things didn't quite match up and that sort of ruined a few parts. Like VIKI's theory about keeping humans safe since they really didn't elaborate on it, and while I can see some of "her" points, there are certainly holes in her "logic".

Another point of confusion is where Sonny is standing in a row of robots and moves. With such advanced technology and sensors, there really doesn't seem to be any reason for him to move like a person, because he's a ROBOT, in case you've forgotten. Bullets can only go so far, and even if Spooner had fired at the robot in the front of his line, it really wouldn't have done anything to damage him. So why the movement?

Anyways, as a movie, it was good. As a relation to the book, it stank. (If you want to watch it before th book go ahead since there are so few similar plot points.) So, if they had given it a different title, cleaned up the loopholes, and maybe cut down on the shooting-the-robots gig then I'd rate it higher. But as it is, I give it a 3.8 out of 5. Not bad, Twentieth Century Fox . . .

-----The Golden Eagle

2 comments:

Caroline said...

I HATE it when they change movies from their original books!!! They did that with Percy Jackson, though not nearly as drastically as this movie, it seems. They did the same thing with Inkheart. It drives me crazy that a movie I've been waiting for for months turns out to be a real disappointment.:(

The Golden Eagle said...

It is a pretty big letdown when the film companies do things like that. You're right about Inkheart; they changed a whole LOT of things on that one.