11 September, 2010

9 Years Ago Today . . .



Four major sites became targets.


In New York City . . .


The World Trade Center was attacked, hit by an airplane.


So too was the Pentagon, in Arlington, Virginia.



Another plane crashed near Shanksville, Pennsylvania.



The four planes were heading to San Francisco and Los Angeles from Boston, Newark and Washington DC . . . 

Nothing seemed to be wrong.

Things were running normally at first.

But then they were hijacked.







The first plane, American Airlines Flight 11, struck . . .


The North Tower. At 8:46 AM.



The second plane, United Airlines Flight 175, struck . . .


The South Tower. At 9:03 AM.



The Pentagon was hit . . .


At 9:37 AM.


The United Airlines Flight 93's passengers attempted to gain control of the plane again.


They, along with the four hijackers, lost their lives.

In all . . .

2,996 people died that day.


2,606 people died in New York.


246 were from the planes. 125 died at the Pentagon, 55 of whom were military personnel.



Some say the attack on 9/11 was a set-up.

Some say that the Pentagon couldn't have been hit by a plane.

There are theories that it was all some huge conspiracy.

But whatever happened that day . . .


We shouldn't forget the people who lost their lives.





Those 2997 people who died from the attacks--and from the aftermath.

(Information on dates, times, casualties, and other information via Wikipedia. I have tried to make every effort to ensure that these figures are correct.)

-----The Golden Eagle

9 comments:

The Words Crafter said...

A very tragic day, indeed. I am curious as to how old you were then...I really hope you didn't watch any of it. I can remember all the children who were afraid after that...

The Golden Eagle said...

I was 4. I watched part of it, actually--my mom and I were in the hospital waiting for the doctors to give us news about my grandma, (I forget why, exactly) and I do remember seeing CNN on the hospital's TVs. I didn't really get what was happening, but I knew something was up.

Cornet Crazie said...

Yeah, I was 5. I was in school and didn't see any of it.

Just one other figure you missed (and this is probably due to Wikipedia not being completely accurate) but planes left Portland , ME too

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

A day I won't ever forget, either...

Icewolf said...

Wonderful post, my friend. I don't remember it, but I can understand the devastation.

Selena Gomez said...

I was only three, so I don't remember, but I do remember over my early years at school, the first few days days, quiet words passed between teachers, and we were told about 9/11 even though we didn't remember it. Nowadays, as I am in middle school, and the seventh grade, I am told about the horrific event, and how people died, etc. as I have U.S. History this year. My LA/U.S. History teacher actually had a copy of the paper from that day, with pictures from it on it. What I've noticed, is that people (here) more talk about the World Trade Center than the Pentagon, or the other buildings...

~Sofie

Kenzy said...

I remember a friend of my brother's who's mom was killed in the building.

I'll never forget what happened.

The Golden Eagle said...

Cornet Crazie: They did? I'll have to check that and fix it. Thanks.

Alex J. Cavanaugh: I know I won't.

Icewolf: There certainly was a lot of devastation afterwards . . .

Selena Gomez: True. I think it's because more people died in NYC than elsewhere, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be left as an afterword.

Kenzy: I'm sorry that happened to someone you knew. My uncle actually commuted to NYC on the day of 9/11--he went right under the World Trade Center.

The Golden Eagle said...

Hmmm. I actually can't find anything saying that there was a flight from Portland . . . I found something mentioning that a terrorist took a Portland flight, but not that anyone died during that flight, or that the particular plane was hijacked.