20 May, 2012

Hi, I Hoard Stuff.

It's been a very long time since I acknowledged awards I've received, for which I apologize. In fact, doing a quick search of my blog reveals that I may not have mentioned awards at all since December, and that's not to mention being tagged by several bloggers and failing to answer the questions in a timely manner.

I thought about leaving it at the apology, claiming lack of time, and letting it all slide under the rug, but then I figured better late than never--and even if I am completely unworthy, at least I can pass on the awards to other excellent bloggers I know. Right?

First up, the Versatile Blogger Award from Mark Noce, Jamie Gibbs, Cherie LarkinsJeremy, and Chris Allinotte.


This, of course, is one of the awards that requires you list some things about yourself. Hold on, because I'll get to that in a moment.


As for who I'm awarding: Everyone in this list. Many of the followers I've gained in the past couple of months were A-Z Challenge participants, and there was some very versatile content during April; I also enjoyed visiting the blogs of the non-participants. Plus, I feel like I should do something for all of you readers who have followed my blog!


Second, the Great Comments Award from Carol Riggs, Susan Fields, and Trisha.


The rules for this one seem to be either you award the last twenty commenters on your blog or your most frequent commenters. Since I awarded the last commenters on receiving this award before, I'll use the most frequent ones this time (according to the BloggerSentral widget):

Pat Hatt (It's Rhyme Time)
Alex J. Cavanaugh
Old Kitty (Ten Lives and Second Chances)
Susan Gourley/Kelley (Susan Says)
Rusty Webb (The Blutonian Death Egg)
Christine Rains
Rachel Morgan
Charles Gramlich (Razored Zen)
Michael Offutt
Jamie Gibbs
DWei (I am such a Derp)
M Pax (Wistful Nebulae)
Cherie Reich
Jay Noel
S. L. Hennessy (Pensuasion)
Clarissa Draper
Joshua (Vive le Nerd)
Hilary Melton-Butcher Positive Letters
Stuart Nager (Talespinning)
Tyrean Martinson (Tyrean's Writing Spot)


Third, the Kreative Blogger Award from Connie KellerClaire Hennessy, and Jeremy.


Again, another award that requires you list facts about yourself. I'm not going to award anyone this since I just did so with the above two and have mentioned the Kreativ before.


A HUGE thank you to everyone who awarded me!


Now, for those facts you were probably wondering about. Since I was tagged as part of that 11 Questions Thing Everyone Else Got To Months Ago and never got around to doing all of them, I thought I'd tackle part of my hoard all in one and count the tag(s) as my facts.

These following sets of questions are from Sophie and W.Chaser, respectively.


1.When did you start writing?
When I was twelve. At least, that was when I started the first actual novel that I completed--you could push it back farther and say I started writing with that story about taking my cat to the moon. Or the one about the dolphin and the genie. Oh, I'm actually a bit fond of that one.

2. Who are your literary heroes? (/favourite authors)
Isaac Asimov, Arthur C. Clarke, Kristin Cashore, Tamora Pierce, Eoin Colfer . . . I could go on, of course.

3. What is your favourite fictional character?
Just one?

4. What genre(s) do you write?
Science Fiction and Fantasy, primarily.

5. What is your favourite book, tv show and film?
Choosing one book is even harder than choosing a single character. LOL. But I think I could survive with a dictionary--at least that way I'd be able to read and improve my writing skills at the same time. TV show: I'll go with a new favorite, Star Trek. Film: Uh . . . *draws blank*

6. What is your favourite place you've visited in the world?
Washington, D.C.

7. What is your favourite music?
Classical.

8. Have you ever written fanfic?/Opinions on it?
Nope, not that I remember. I don't really have anything against it, so long as what people are writing is original.

9. Where is your favourite place to write?
Anywhere, so long as I can focus. But I usually write at a desk. (You can see a picture of it HERE.)

10. Tea or Coffee?
Neither. I don't particularly like tea and I've never had coffee.

11. Have you ever taken part in NaNoWriMo?/ Opinions on it?
Twice! I love the challenge. The stuff I've produced has never been very high-quality--the novel I wrote last year is a jumbled mess--but it's fun to write like crazy for 30 days with some abandon.


And now for the second set:


1. If you could be any fictional baddie who would you be and why?
I love this question, and had to think about it for a while. And then some more. And then I finally decided that it would be interesting to be Artemis Fowl in his early days. All that brilliant technology at his fingertips and the intelligence to match.

2. If you could go back in time and stop someone being born who would it be?
Well, certainly not my grandfather. I like being alive. Probably Hitler.

3. When do you get your most inspirational ideas?
To be more specific than "Life!" I'd say current events. Global news, science news, etc. There's a constant influx of interesting ideas these days and thanks to the web they're easy to access.

4. If you had to live without either books or music, which would it be?
Music. How that would hurt, but if you absolutely had to force me to give up one of the two . . . music.

5. Who provides the most encouragement for your writing?
Looking back at what I've done--the progress I've made--and thinking about what I could do.

6. If you could have one wish, what would it be?
World peace. Or, if that was too big of a wish, the secret to FTL travel. Or if the being granting this wish didn't like the idea of humans moving off Earth, the happiness of the people I know.

7. Do you remember your dreams and do they influence your writing?
I do most of the time, and occasionally they affect my writing. I've started a couple stories because of dreams I've had, but they've never turned into a full novel. Yet. :)

8. What word do you frequently misspell?
Release. Also, misspell itself can be tricky--it looks like someone missed a magic spell.

9. How much influence in your writing do you take from other people’s opinions?
I don't show my writing to people, other than excerpts/flash fiction I write for my blog (I know, I know, I'll have to sometime in the future). But I am influenced by what other people say about my work; if one of you comments to say this bit isn't working, I'll keep it in mind and try not to make the same mistake again.

10. If there is one book you wish you’d written, what is it?
Foundation by Isaac Asimov.

11. Starter or Dessert?
Starter.


I'm not going to create another 11 Questions for this one, since the tag's dissipated from a few months ago. But if you want to participate (or snag that Kreativ Blogger Award above) then go ahead.

**********


And there are a couple more awards and tags that I should get to--however, since they're not as grievously late I will leave those for a later post. By which time they probably will be terribly late, but this is too long already. :P

Anything happening at your end? For the writers and other creators in the audience: What are you working on now?


-----The Golden Eagle

45 comments:

Nas said...

Congratulations on the multiple awards!

And lovely to read all your answers!

Charles Gramlich said...

Thank you! I appreciate it. I've had my own difficulties keeping up with such things too. I have written some fanfic, Star Trek, John Carter, Dray Prescot.

Old Kitty said...

The toughest question was the one that asks what you could not live without: music or books.

Tough question!! I'm not sure I could choose even if I had to! LOL!

Yay for your fabulous awards!!! All well deserved! Take care
x

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Thank you, Golden! I've received it before so I shall just graciously accept the award. Congratulations on so many!
And coffee is nasty - you don't want to drink it!

Elise Fallson said...

Congrats on the awards! You have some great answers up there and I'm glad you shared them with us. I know the blog awards can be a bit time consuming but they are a great way to get to know people. And thank you for passing the versatile blog award my way. I've already received it, but I humbly accept and appreciate the gesture. (:

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

congrats!!

Heather said...

Congrats on your awards! I started writing when I was 12 too! I'm taking a breather before the whirlwind of my blog tour for my latest release, then I'll be back to writing!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Thanks for recognizing my blog and for naming me a frequent commentor. It's my pleasure to visit your blog as often as I can.
I never drank tea or coffee at your age either. I think I started drinking both of them with a desire to stay warm because I didn't like hot chocolate.

Jess said...

Never had coffee!? Wow! Coffee and tea are like water to me!

Now that that's out of the way, congrats on your awards! And a word I always misspell? Necessary. It's such a weird word! I always spell it, nesessary and then nesecary and it trips me up every single time! I really have to learn how to spell that word!

Trisha said...

Well done on getting around to doing the awards. It always takes me quite a while to get to mine too, nowadays, but I tend to create a draft blog post to keep track of any awards I've received & haven't yet answered. That way I won't forget al about them. :)

klahanie said...

Well done on getting all those awards!:) Most deserving. I get well embarrassed over receiving awards and I realise I'm most unworthy. I got 'tagged'. Evidently that way I stick to my curfew :)
You had to mention that alphabet challenge. Of course, I did the alternative, satirical postings on it all.
Take care and all the best.
Your starstruck fan, Gary

shelly said...

Better late than never, Golden. I usually drag out the whole award thing in three sessions because its like doing homework.

Belle said...

I loved reading Isaac Asimov also. It was many, many years ago, but he was a great writer.

Tanya Reimer said...

Oh so you hog your writing all to yourself too eh? Hee hee. I was telling my doctor about my writing, the other day because he wanted to know how "famous" I was. (yeah right eh?) so I tell him I tend to hog my writing until it's not crap, which is a looooong time, right.
And brilliant guy that he is, he says, "Why, I read a lot of crap."

Hahahahaha.

It was fun getting to know more about ya!

Samantha Sotto said...

Oh, wow! You weren't kidding about those awards. I'm getting an image of Adele at the Grammy awards! Congrats! :D

Hope you had a great weekend!

Carrie Butler said...

Congratulations, Eagle! :D

Patricia Stoltey said...

Wow, you had a lot to catch up on. Congratulations on the great awards. I enjoyed reading your answers to all the fun questions, although I can't even imagine giving up my tea and coffee. I love both.

What am I working on? Suspense manuscripts. It's like learning how to write all over again to shift from series mysteries to standalone suspense.

laughingwolf said...

grats... and good to know, ge... thx

instead of just asimov's 'foundation', mine would be his 'foundation trilogy'... i solved it before i got through book three... don't ask me how, it was too long ago... i was still in my teens :O

Medeia Sharif said...

Congrats on the awards! I'm a hoarder, too. I've hoarded for so long I can't remember which awards I'm supposed to pass along.

Paul Tobin said...

Interesting post, congratulations on all the awards.

stuartnager said...

If you're not winning Nobel, Pulitzer and other prizes when you hit your twenties, I'll be very, very shocked!! Thanks for the award GE.
As to never having coffee...um, right now, I can't imagine NOT having Iced Coffee (and Iced Tea)in my life!!

Foundation...great book to wish you had written. I'd have to go with either "Lord of Light" by Zelazny (first book that came to mind) or "The Stranger" by Camus.

DWei said...

Congrats on all of your awards!

DWei said...

And thank you for giving me the award as well. Just noticed that. Not sure if I'll ever get around to doing the questions though. :P

Clarissa Draper said...

Thanks for thinking of me, you're awesome. I love classical music. Gloria by Vivaldi is one of my favourites and really, anything by Mozart.

Question for you: I'm going to DC this year, any suggestions as to what to see?

Tyrean Martinson said...

I'm greviously late on a few of my awards too - glad I'm not the only one. Thanks for the Commenter Award!!!

Maurice Mitchell said...

Congrats man. I used to hate coffee till I discovered doughnuts and black coffee. Mmmm
- Maurice Mitchell
The Geek Twins | Film Sketchr
@thegeektwins | @mauricem1972

....Petty Witter said...

Congratulations on all those awards and taggings. Some great questions nan answers, very thought provoking.

Rachel Morgan said...

Thank you for the award!

I would almost always pick a dessert over a starter! Actually, when I go out to dinner I often just have a starter and a dessert - without the main in between :-)

Cherie Larkins said...

Congrats on your many awards!

I totally understand the delay. I think I've forgotten a few awards/memes myself but life just gets in the way and it's hard to keep track of things.

Simon Kewin said...

Congrats: a bunch of awards, all richly deserved!

Simon Kewin said...

Congrats: a bunch of awards, all richly deserved!

Michael Offutt, Tebow Cult Initiate said...

Congratulations! Dangit...you tagged me. Sigh. But I happily accept and shall do a post about it soon. Blog awards (they say) come in packs of three.

Matt said...

Congrats on the awards. I enjoy reading them about other people but I don't want to do them myself LOL.

The Golden Eagle said...

Nas: Thanks!

Glad you liked reading my answers.

Charles: You're welcome--thanks for commenting so often. :)

Old Kitty: It was a hard one to answer. Either choice would have ripped some part of my life.

Thank you!

Alex: Makes sense. Thanks for coming by my blog. :)

I never really liked the smell; obviously I don't know what it tastes like, but the smell doesn't help.

Elise: Thank you.

I agree, they are. It's interesting what facts people will come up with.

Sorry for awarding you for the second time with the award. :P

Carrie: Thank you!

Heather: Thanks. :)

I'm sure your blog tour will be awesome.

Susan: I always enjoy reading your comments. :)

I'm not a big fan of hot chocolate, either. Though that doesn't leave too many options. LOL.

Jess: Nope. ;)

Thank you!

It certainly has odd spelling. And too many syllables with "es" sounds in them.

Trisha: Thanks!

I have a list in OneNote where I write down who awards/tags me. Otherwise I'm sure I'd forget!

Klahanie: Thank you.

It's nice to see a change of pace in the blogosphere. :)

Shelly: Sometimes it does feel that way. Though I like answering questions--it's when I have to write down random things that I start to flail. :P

Belle: I agree!

Tanya: *looks sheepish* Well, to an extent . . . I do plan on showing it to people in the future, though!

LOL. That's a great response from your doctor!

Samantha: Thank you. :)

Hope you enjoyed yours!

Carrie: Thanks. :)

Patricia: Thanks!

That sounds like an interesting challenge. Standalones do have a different structure than series books.

Laughingwolf: Writing just one book like Foundation would be far more than enough for me! But yeah, I thought the entire Foundation Trilogy was quite good--I'm not going to ask how you solved it, though it would be interesting to know. I hardly guessed a thing. :P

Medeia: Thank you!

Paul: Thanks. :)

Stuart: Eh, I'd settle for just the SF awards like the Hugo and Nebula. Or, you know, publication. LOL.

You're welcome! Thank you for commenting on my blog so often. :)

I haven't heard of those books before. Adding to TBR list . . .

DWei: Thanks! :)

You're welcome. And you don't have to do the questions, though I'd love to read your answers.

Clarissa: Thank YOU! I always love reading your comments on my blog!

I love listening to Mozart's music.

When my mom and I visited we went to the National Air and Space Museum (loved it), Museum of Natural History (also a great place), and went to a few other buildings as well as walking around the National Mall. I'd recommend stopping by museums and just exploring the mall, mostly. We didn't wander around really extensively, but there are some landmark places around in that general area. Oh, and watch for the White House--it's actually kind of hard to see since it's far back from Constitution Avenue and we walked past it a few times without realizing what it was. :P

Tyrean: You're very welcome! :)

Maurice: Thank you.

Well, who knows--maybe I'll end up trying that combination in the future!

Petty Witter: Thank you!

Rachel: You're welcome. :)

I could see doing that. Just skip to the best part!

Cherie: Thanks!

Agreed.

Simon: Thank you! :)

Michael: Thanks.

Sorry for the tag. I'm looking forward to seeing your post, though. :)

Matt: *makes evil plan to tag Matt next time*

Just kidding--I can see not wanting to do them. Thanks for coming by and reading!

laughingwolf said...

i have a perverse brain...

Lynda R Young said...

My goodness that's a lot of awards!! A HUGE CONGRATS (it has to be big to cover all the awards).

I want to read your story about the dolphin and the genie ;)

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Congratulations on all of those awards! I love reading posts where you have to answer questions. It's so much fun learning about other bloggers.

Adina West said...

Great answers! I'm feeling a bit guilty because I'm sure I have an award or two back there somewhere that I didn't follow through on...

As for news - you already know mine. Thanks for being the first to comment!

Misha Gericke said...

Congrats on all your awards! You deserve each and every one.

Congrats to the winners as well. :-)

Joshua said...

If ever there was something to hoard...

Congrats! And thanks for the tag.

Jamie Gibbs said...

Congrats on the awards, and thanks for the mention :D

The Golden Eagle said...

Laughingwolf: Nah, just a sharp one. :)

Lynda: Thank you!

LOL. It wasn't all that award-winning--basically, a dolphin finds a genie, gets three wishes, is chased by a shark, and then everyone lives happily ever after.

Sharon: Thanks. :)

I agree!

Adina: Thanks!

It's understandable. They're quite easy to forget.

Congratulations again on it! :)

Misha: Thank you.

Joshua: Thanks!

You're welcome. :) Thanks for coming by my blog!

The Golden Eagle said...

Jamie: Thanks, and you're quite welcome for it! I appreciate you visiting and commenting. :)

laughingwolf said...

perverse... AND sharp? ;) lol

The Golden Eagle said...

Laughingwolf: Well, if you want to put it that way . . . I don't think the two are mutually exclusive, necessarily. LOL.