08 July, 2012

Candle Dark And First Wolf By Carole Anne Carr + Website News!

Hello, everyone. A mix of stuff in this post today: Free books, and an update on my website The Eagle Directory.

First, the free books, because I'm sure that's all what you're really interested in ;).


Candle Dark by Carole Anne Carr is free on Amazon through the rest of today, July 8, and her book First Wolf will be free from July 12-13.

About Candle Dark:
Joshua was nearly eleven and he’d worked down the Blists Hill coal pit since he was seven and a bit. He hated it down there. He hated working in the dark, he hated the rats and the stink of the tunnels, and he especially hated it when the mine flooded and his wet boots rubbed his feet raw.
   Then on the day that Bradley the horsekeeper gave him another beating so bad he ached all over, he made up his mind to run away and find work on the Severn trows. But what would happen to poor Drummer, left behind in the dark? What would happen to his mum and sisters if he left them to the mercy of the evil Isaac Whitlock? And how could he sail to Bristol, when his dad had been set to work in the most dangerous part of the mine?
   Afraid of the river gangs and worrying about his dad, Joshua must decide whether to run for his life, or to stay in Coalport and try to protect his family.

On  www.amazon.com
On www.amazon.co.uk


First Wolf links:
On www.amazon.com
On www.amazon.co.uk


**********

Since I announced the launch of my website, I've made a couple changes.

Mostly, though, there's a search box. It crawls text and images, so you can see the pictures of all of the different birds by searching for "eagle" and clicking on the tab to the left and below the search box. Hope that helps those who wanted a method of looking up eagles by picture and not just name. Also, it allows you to search for specific attributes of different species, e.g. "stable population", "live in Europe", "eat fish", etc.


Furthermore, I've done a little fiddling with the design. Nothing big (it should look the same as it did when it first launched) but I think it'll work better on smaller screens. So far as I can tell, however, I need to either a.) Create a mobile site or b.) Completely overhaul some elements to make it work on mobile devices. Right now, the previews I've checked indicate the ED is terrible on anything below around 600-800px. Brainstorming to do . . .

**********

How's your weekend been? Is the heat wave smothering your area? Will you be downloading Candle Dark or First Wolf, or have you already?



-----The Golden Eagle

27 comments:

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I love the heat though we really could use some rain. Carole's book sounds very interesting.

mshatch said...

it's cooler here today, and a little dryer so actually quite pleasant. A rather perfect summer day :)

PT Dilloway, Superhero Author said...

Ooh I need to go to the eagle website to find out more about eagles. Though the coolest eagles are F-15 Eagles. I'm just saying.

Rob-bear said...

Our weekend has been warm — currently about 30°C, or 86°F. Fortunately we have air condition in our cave above the tree tops.

The grandchildren came for a sleepover, and we did a variety of things with them.

I've seen pictures of the American fires, and they have been very sad.

Blessings and Bear hugs.

Cally Jackson said...

Candle Dark sounds like a powerful story. Thanks for telling us about it.

No heat waves here in Australia, being the middle of winter. Just lots of chilly mornings. Probably not that cold compared to what you have to contend with, though!

Jemi Fraser said...

The heat has been hideous but it's breaking this evening. Supposed to be back in a day or two again. *sigh*

Thanks for the reminder about Carole's books - I'd forgotten the date!

Heather said...

Sounds like I need to check out your website! I'll definitely be downloading those. Thanks for the heads up on them. My novella, Born of Fire is free right now too!

Samantha Sotto said...

It's the rainy season over here (we get SIX MONTHS of it. UGH.) so feel free to send some of your heat my way! Have a great week! :)

Brinda said...

This book sounds like a terrific MG read. I'll let some people know to get it. Also, that's cool that you've added a search feature for the eagle info.

Emily R. King said...

Still love your website. Really. It's fascinating.

I'd really like to be in on the heatwave. It's 65 degrees here, which is normal this time of year. I'd love another 10 degrees warmer so I can get out the kiddie pool.

Pat Hatt said...

Not that hot here thankfully, and the sounds like the site is and will only get better.

Christine Rains said...

I got my free copy of Carole's book! Your site runs so smoothly. Here's hoping I get a new AC unit this week that runs just as well. :)

Lynda R Young said...

Your website is super cool!!

Best wishes to Carole with her books.

Maurice Mitchell said...

Congrats to Carole. Websites can always use some tweaking and these sound like welcome changes. We're in a heat warning here. When Arizona has an excessive heat warning, you know it's bad.
- Maurice Mitchell

The Geek Twins | Film Sketchr
@thegeektwins

Honey said...

That book sounds interesting! Thanks for stopping by my blog too- it's been awhile since we've connected :)

Michael Offutt, Tebow Cult Initiate said...

I saw Candle Dark on Donna Hole's website a bit earlier. I definitely plan on reading it.

Charles Gramlich said...

we're getting a lot of rain here so the temperatures were moderate over the weekend, and today. Very nice.

Jay Noel said...

We've had 100+ temps for two weeks straight and no rain. But it finally broke last night. Got rain, and it's only going to be 90 today.

Love your other website!

The Golden Eagle said...

Susan: We could use some rain, too.

Mshatch: Good to hear. :)

PT Dilloway: I'm more for the living raptors, but each to their own. ;)

Rob-bear: Glad you have air conditioning! We just have a fan set up, so it can get pretty warm.

That sounds like fun.

Fire can do such horrible damage, especially when it's so out of control.

Cally: You're welcome!

We usually get temperatures of around -7C in the middle of winter.

Jemi: Aw, that's too bad.

You're welcome. :)

Heather: Hope you like the new features!

Anytime. And thanks for letting us all know about your book as well.

Samantha: *wills heat in your direction*

Thanks! You too. :)

Brinda: Thank you. I hope people find it useful . . .

Emily: Thanks so much. It's great to hear! :)

65? How 'bout we trade weather?

Pat: Thank you!

Christine: Awesome.

Aw, thanks. :) And I hope you get your AC, too!

Lynda: Thanks!

Maurice: Yeah, to be in a heat warning in a southern state doesn't sound good. I hope it misses you!

Honey: I enjoyed visiting. :)

Michael: I saw her post, too!

Charles: That does sound nice. We haven't gotten much rain lately and everything is drying out . . .

Jay: Hooray!

Thank you.

S. L. Hennessy said...

Actually, both those books sound pretty interesting. Thanks for the heads up!

Medeia Sharif said...

I'll check out the links. I downloaded one of Carole's books not too long ago, but not both. I'll also take another look at your website.

Charmaine Clancy said...

Beware the evil lure of fiddling - I messed with my blog into the wee hours of the morning the other day to find just the right background colour.

Good luck to Carole with her book launch!

Anthony said...

It might be easier to create a mobile site.

Carrie Butler said...

Candle Dark sounds great!

P.S. I love hearing about your site as it grows. :)

Misha Gericke said...

I'd love to read Candle Dark. Sounds wonderful. I think you and my cousin would enjoy talking to each other. She's studying falcons for her Honors Degree. :-)

The Golden Eagle said...

S. L.: You're welcome!

Medeia: I appreciate it. :)

Charmaine: LOL. I know I've gotten caught up in fiddling before--but it's hard to resist the urge to tweak it until it's perfect.

Anthony: I've been thinking that myself, and just having a link to the corresponding part of the mobile site on the top of the main pages, or even all the pages.

Carrie: I'm glad to hear that. I'd hate to go rambling on about something no one is interested in. :P

Misha: I like the sound of it, too.

That's so cool about your cousin! It would be awesome to study raptors.

klahanie said...

Great stuff. Carole is a dear friend of mine and I've had the great privilege of guest posting on her excellent blog site.
A highly recommended read of all her books for children of all ages :)
I shall check out your new website and thanks for your comment on my site.
Heat? You have to be kidding :) Haven't seen that mysterious glowing orb in the sky since March.
Take care and happy writing,
Gary