23 July, 2013

Teaser Tuesday (115)

Teaser Tuesday is hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading.

Rules for participating:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

This week, my teaser is from Shadows Over Baker Street edited by Michael Reaves and John Pelan, which is an anthology of Sherlock Holmes stories written by various authors combining Arthur Conan Doyle with H.P. Lovecraft. To be honest, I took it out of the library for one author--Neil Gaiman--whose story "A Study in Emerald" is included. It's quite a good story, and the others I've read are also well-written.

The thorned branches thrust sharply outward like claws, and the whole growth gave one the impression of many black entities congealed into a single one. Each step I took was laborious, each outthrust root a cause for alarm. 

-p. 91, "A Case of Royal Blood" by Steven-Elliot Altman

**********

Do you read anthologies? Who's one author you'll hunt down if you discover they've written something new? What are you reading now?


-----The Golden Eagle

20 comments:

storytreasury said...

Very interesting imagery in the teaser!

mine: http://storytreasury.wordpress.com/2013/07/22/teaser-tuesday-replica/

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Holmes and Lovecraft - what a wild combination!

M Pax said...

Ooo, very intense teaser. And a great combo for an anthology.

Jay Noel said...

Whoa! I wanna read, I wanna read!!!!

Old Kitty said...

Yay!! Looks like a fab anthology - Sherlock Holmes as envisioned by such fab authors?!?! What's not to like!? And the teaser's fab! Take care
x

Pat Hatt said...

Interesting combo indeed, haven't read too many anthologies.

Holy Ghost Writer said...

That is one to read

Maurice Mitchell said...

Frightening and compelling GE.

cleemckenziebooks said...

Well, I'm a Sherlock Holmes fan, so this fascinates me. I love anthologies and read them when they're good.

mooderino said...

I'm a big Holmes fan but I avoid reading alternate author versions. Once an author's dead the character should be too, I feel.

mood

The Golden Eagle said...

Storytreasury: I agree! It caught my eye.

Alex: I would not have put those two together myself. :P

Mary: Glad you liked the teaser!

Jay: It's really good. :) You should read it!

Old Kitty: It's quite interesting to read all their different interpretations of the characters.

Pat: Me, neither--at least compared to regular full-length novels.

Holy Ghost Writer: It's a really good collection.

Maurice: It's a bit of a creepy scene.

Lee: Same here.

Mooderino: I don't really mind it when other authors take the helm, but it's true they're never going to be able to exactly write the way the original author did.

Jai Joshi said...

Great teaser, I was into the imagery.

I've got no teaser myself, haven't been reading much recently. I'm desperate for a good read too but it'll have to wait until September I think.

Jai

Paul Tobin said...

Yup. I read anthologies-usually science fiction. I have started since I got a kindle.
The Holmes book looks interesting- I am actually reading an anthology at the moment -The Mammoth book of Time travel-I think thats the title. I'm enjoying it.

....Petty Witter said...

Great teaser.

Hearing very mixed reports of this. A book readers seem to either love or loathe.

DWei said...

I'm not reading anything, unless virtual novels count.

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

I don't necessarily love Lovecraft stuff as written by H.P., but I do love the works that it has inspired. Lovecraft by itself is really dry stuff.

Deniz Bevan said...

Oh, I like this idea a lot! Yay for Lovecraft.
I'd snap up anything by Tolkien, Gaiman, Rowling and Diana Gabaldon!

Misha Gericke said...

I'm not much of an anthology reader, although I've been known to read them if I bought the book in support of my blogging friends. :-)

michelle said...

I'll read anthologies written by blogger buddies. Other than that, I can't really say...
... and I know that this is off the topic, but that title made me think of the song... winding your way down in Baker Street by Gerry Rafferty...
Writer In Transit

The Golden Eagle said...

Jai: Oh, I hope you do get some reading time next month. I hate being unable to read.

Paul: Most of the anthologies I've read have been SF, too. I love them. Jonathan Strahan is my favorite editor.

Petty Witter: Thanks!

I can see why it would be divisive. A lot of people seem to get upset when the "classics" are adapted.

DWei: Sure they do!

Michael: I keep meaning to read something by H.P. Lovecraft one of these days. I don't really mind dry; and at least I'd be getting to the source material.

Deniz: Love your list. :) Mine's similar!

Misha: Indeed. There are a lot of books on my TBR list that I've found in the blogosphere.

Michelle: Oh, those lyrics do match the title, don't they?