06 December, 2011

Teaser Tuesday (63)

Teaser Tuesday is hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading.

Rules:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

This week, my teaser is from The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson. I have mixed feelings about his book so far (which particularly saddens me because I'd really looked forward to it when I saw Tamora Pierce's review). While the main character's personality is quite different from that of most Fantasy leads, and I love that she's unique, I can't really get attached to the plot or the setting. Furthermore, the beginning seems to be moving very slowly . . . hopefully that will pick up later.


(Again, mixed feelings seems to be my mantra. I love the flowers/trees along the corners of the book, and the lettering is to die for, but I don't like the face within the gem.)
Cosmé gapes at me like I've swallowed a scorpion. I try not to look too smug. Not only will such a task take her all day in this empty, barren place, it will give her something harmless to blather passionately about.
-p. 67

**********

Have a teaser, or thoughts on the book you're reading?


-----The Golden Eagle

14 comments:

Michael Offutt, Expert Critic said...

I'm reading 1Q84 but I don't have it here with me at work. Otherwise I'd give you a juicy sample. Maybe I'll stop back a little later and post one.

Cherie Reich said...

An interesting teaser. I've been hearing good things about this book, but I haven't picked it up yet to read.

Mad Scientist said...

I agree... I'm not a fan of the face in the gem.


I have not thought of the this book. Perhaps I shall add it to my list of TBR.


Mad Scientist @ Steampunkery & Book Reviews

Mad Scientist said...

I agree... I'm not a fan of the face in the gem.


I have not thought of the this book. Perhaps I shall add it to my list of TBR.


Mad Scientist @ Steampunkery & Book Reviews

Mad Scientist said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jemi Fraser said...

Good teaser! I'm reading Finding Sarah by Terry O'Dell - she's a great author :)

THat pause again. Realization hit her like this morning's much puddle.

Flying high in the sky.... said...

interesting!!

Arlee Bird said...

I don't much like slow beginnings unless they are intensely interesting or very well written. Right now I'm reading some book about business and it's slow to get into.


Lee
Coming soon: Your A to Z stories and the official A to Z Badge is now revealed
Blogging from A to Z

M.J. Fifield said...

Amazon keeps recommending this book to me. Maybe I should give it ago.

And yeah, I don't like the face in the gem either.

C D Meetens said...

I'm sorry you're not enjoying this book as much as you hoped. I've had that with a couple of books lately. Great teaser, though!

Old Kitty said...

It's a very vivid teaser!!

Take care
x

Krispy said...

Good hearing your thoughts since I have this book from the library. I'm not a fan of the cover, but I've heard some good things about it. Thanks for the heads up!

Carol Riggs said...

Ooh, I've heard of this book. Thanks for the thoughts on it, and the quote! I like the lettering/font of the cover.

I'm reading IMAGINARY GIRLS by Nova Ren Suma. Here's the teaser:

If she pushed me in, right away their cold, webbed hands would come reaching out for my ankles.

The Golden Eagle said...

Michael: 1Q84? I've never heard of the book before . . . but that's an intriguing title!

Cherie: I've heard good things about it, too; I'm hoping my opinion will change the more I read.

Mad Scientist: It's just too unreal, for me. And there's something about the angle.

Jemi: Thanks!

Great teaser--I wonder what it is the character just realized!

Sushmita: Thanks. :)

Arlee: Same here. But I still have hope for this book, so I'm keeping on with it.

I hope the rest of the book picks up!

M.J.: I'll see books that sites have recommended to me as well; it's a bit strange to see it in an add then come across it on a blog or something. :P

C D: Sorry to hear the books disappointed you. This is the first time in a while it's happened to me . . . I've been on a good-book reading streak.

Thank you!

Old Kitty: I had hoped readers might see it that way. :)

Krispy: I have it from the library, too!

You're welcome!

Carol: Anytime. :) The lettering is one of my favorite parts about the cover, too.

Chilling teaser!