06 April, 2012

A-Z Blogging Challenge: Fluid Dynamics

Air flow from the wing of a plane. Public domain image. SOURCE.
Fluid dynamics is an applied science (meaning that research is done with a specific goal in mind) that focuses on the movement of liquids and gases.

There are several major categories of fluid flow: steady flow (fluid maintains the same velocity), turbulent flow (speed and/or direction changes), compressibility (if it is compressible, it changes in volume in response to pressure), incompressibility (it does not change in volume as a response to pressure), viscosity, inviscid fluids (entirely non-viscous, ideal fluids), rotational flow (the fluid moves in swirl patterns), and irrotational flow (moves in a straight line).

Fluid dynamics includes the fields of aerodynamics, hydrodynamics, vortex dynamics, gas dynamics, computation fluid dynamics (also called CFD), convection heat transfer, turbomachinery flow, acoustics, biofluids, physical oceanography, atmospheric dynamics, wind engineering, two-phase flows, and a large number of other subjects, and it is used to design aircraft, spacecraft, automobiles, ships, propulsion systems, and heat exchangers, in addition to having other manufacturing applications.

By Brocken Inaglory, CC-BY-SA-3.0. SOURCE.
Notable fluid dynamicist:

Nadine Aubry

Nadine Aubry is the Head of the Department of Mechanical Engineering and the Raymond J. Lane Distinguished Professor at Carnegie Mellon University. She was awarded the Presidential Young Investigator Award from the National Science Foundation and the Ralph R. Teetor Educational Award from the Society of Automotive Engineers, and is a member of the National Academy of Engineering and the American Nano Society. She has lectured in a range of places, including the University of Pennsylvania, Temple University, Cornell University, and in Melbourne, Italy, Mexico, and the University of Toronto and the University of Waterloo in Canada.

Her current research involves microfluidics, such as micromixers and droplet generators. Her team has introduced new methods for more effective mixing, droplet generation, and the arrangement of micro-sized and nano-sized particles.

**********

Sources:
http://www.cmu.edu/me/people/nadine-aubry.html
http://www.fluids.eng.vt.edu/
http://members.nanosociety.us/aubry
http://physics.bu.edu/~duffy/py105/Bernoulli.html
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/fluid+dynamics

**********

And if you want to play around with a fluid dynamics simulator:
http://nerget.com/fluidSim/

**********

Now for a piece of completely unrelated news:

Julia at That Hapa Chick, Izzy at My Words Ate Me, and Lucia at iLove, iLaugh, iLove Books are hosting an All Things Asian event. They're doing a series of interviews of Asian bloggers throughout this week and next (mine will be up April 10 on My Words Ate Me!), in addition to author interviews and giveaways. Go check it out, be you Asian or not. :)


**********

Any favorite fluids or favorite applications of fluid dynamics?


-----The Golden Eagle

46 comments:

S.P. Bowers said...

My hubby did his masters thesis in fluid dynamics and heat transfer. He's a mechanical engineer.

Catherine Noble said...

My brain hurts from reading that, but the pictures are beautiful :) Good luck with the All Things Asian blogfest :)

Paul Tobin said...

This series of your is amazing. I am enjoying (and learning much with each new post). Great stuff.

Rob-bear said...

Another fascinating scientific post. Thanks.

Jamie Gibbs said...

I love fluid dynamics, especially when two liquids with different properties interact e.g. ink and water.


Jamie
Fellow A-Z bloggy buddy
Mithril Wisdom

Old Kitty said...

Wine? That's a type of fluid liquid dynamics?

Oh I'm kidding!!! There are so many amazing words here!! Yay!

Take care
x

Jack said...

I love that first pic, it's so colorful and filled with so much emotion! Thanks for sharing :)

Sue McPeak said...

Who knew...Fluid Dynamics could be so beautiful. Great photos and text that has shades of 'Rocket Science, but as a non-fluidist, I got it! Well done for the Letter 'F'.

My theme is A-Z My Family Tree and F is for FANNIE and her FIVE Sisters. Hope you'll stop by...The BIG ARROW points the way...Sue-CollectInTexas Gal

Rusty Webb said...

Yes, Fluid Dynamicists get to look at the prettiest pictures. Wait, I take that back, the second prettiest. Those in the space sciences get the best ones.

Charles Gramlich said...

Amazing photos!

Simon Kewin said...

Fascinating again. The scope of your posts is just amazing. You should collect them together as an A to Z of science eBook or something.

Margo Berendsen said...

My science fiction craving brain immediately began to speculate about a special type of fluid that is still dynamic in space instead of instantly crystalized! Loved the images. I'm also A-Zing this month.

Humpty Dumpty said...

I loved the photos that so perfectly illustrate your topic. The water drop reminds me of a show I caught a while ago where the hosts photograph an event, then show it back frame by frame. like watching how a water droplet looks as it contacts the surface of a pool of water. Very cool stuff!

Joshua said...

I witnessed some of this last weekend. I was watching pollen being washed away toward a sewer drain, and it was excellent to watch it floating on the water, coasting then swirling then speeding up until ultimately rocketing down the drain. Brilliant.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

A lot of applications for fluid dynamics.
And Kitty's comment made me chuckle.

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

I could stare at that plane illustration forever--fascinating and incomprehensible to my non-scientific brain, but so beautiful.

Wikes! said...

Cool theme for the month. I'm looking forward to reading more.

Pat Hatt said...

Never knew it went into so many things, think I was a bit out of the loop on fluid dynamics.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Some very cool pictures. I'm feeling so educated.

Christine Rains said...

I'm learning so much from your posts. Does caramel count as fluid? Or chocolate syrup?

Jemi Fraser said...

Gorgeous photos! My physics prof desperately me to go into one of these branches of science. I chose languages instead :)

Mark Noce said...

Great pics! Fluid dynamics...where do you get these great words...it just sounds cool:)

Pearson Report said...

Hi Ms. Eagle - I'm playing catchup and visiting some of my favourite blogs in between my co-hosting duties.

As always I come away a little sharper! Your A - Z posts, are excellent. I really look forward to dropping in and learning something.

Cheers, Jenny @ Pearson Report
Co-Host of the Blogging from A to Z Challenge.

The Golden Eagle said...

S.P.: Cool! :)

Catherine: Glad you liked the pictures.

Thank you!

Paul: I'm so glad you're enjoying it!

Thanks.

Rob-bear: You're welcome!

Jamie: Ah, diffusion. That's fascinating to watch. :)

Old Kitty: Well, it is a fluid!

Jack: You're very welcome!

Sue: Thank you! I try to make it all accessible. :)

I'll be over soon!

Rusty: Can you imagine working on the Hubble Telescope or something like that? It would be amazing.

Simon: Thank you!

I'd never thought of doing that . . . but I have to say, the idea interests me!

Margo: Interesting idea!

Humpty Dumpty: Glad you liked the photos. :)

That must have been cool to see.

Joshua: The patterns of the pollen or the fact it was headed down the drain? Or both?

Alex: Indeed!

Me, too. :)

Tricia: It is! I knew I had to post it when I found it on Wikimedia Commons.

Wikes!: Thank you!

Pat: I didn't know, either, until I researched this post.

Susan: Awesome. :)

Christine: Very viscous fluid, but I don't see why not! LOL.

Jemi: Languages are quite interesting! And all the better to communicate with people.

Mark: Thanks!

Wikipedia's list of scientific disciplines, and textbooks. :)

Jenny: Thank you so much!

Carol Riggs said...

REALLY neat photos!! Very cool. Intriguing how gases are considered "fluids." I like the word "irrotational." LOL Sounds like an irritated rotation of something!

T.D. McFrost said...

WOW, this is absolutely fascinating! Keep it up Aerial, I can't wait for next post.

Robyn Campbell said...

Eagle, you amaze me. You teach me so much. This is intriguing. Thank you, thank you! Bravo Eagle!

Carol Kilgore said...

And here somebody told me fluid dynamics was all about wine. Wait until I find him again :)

Angie said...

So interesting! My brother-in-law has a PhD in this stuff. Love it!

MOV said...

great post! I was a flight attendant for 10 years, so all things airplane are of special interest to me. can't wait to read what you come up with next.

found you on the a to z and am a follower now. :)

feel free to take a peek at my blog too if you have time:

http://mothersofbrothersblog.blogspot.com

best,
MOV

Krispy said...

Had no idea fluid dynamics encompassed so many other disciplines! Very cool - as is that picture you posted!

I saw something about that All Things Asian blog hop yesterday! Glad to hear that you're on it, and I'll definitely be checking it out! :)

anthony stemke said...

This was a very fluid and dynamic treatise, you have really applied yourself to this science.

Gina said...

I love every type of science (I'm showing my true colors, here.) and this post is amazing. I'll keep coming for more knowledge.

Thanks for commenting on my blog.
From Diary of a Writer in Progress.

Susan Oloier said...

Your post is a splendid blend of science and beauty. After all, a lot of science is beautiful.

DWei said...

Bluh, reminds me of physics class.

I hated physics.

Sarah Pearson said...

I think I need to concentrate on the pictures for this one :-)

Crack You Whip said...

Great science lesson...took me back about 22 years to high school!

The Golden Eagle said...

Carol: Glad you liked them! :)

Yeah, it does. LOL.

T.D.: Thank you! I hope you like General Relativity.

Robyn: You're very welcome. :)

Carol: LOL. I'm sure he won't be in very good shape afterwards. ;)

Angie: A Ph.D.? Wow.

MOV: Thank you!

And thanks for following my blog.

Krispy: Me, neither, until I researched this post.

Awesome! :)

Anthony: LOL. Why, thank you!

Gina: I hope you'll find the coming posts as interesting. :)

Susan: It is, it is! That's one reason why I wish science had a more prominent position (or was at least perceived that way--it's already in every bit of our lives).

DWei: Hated . . . physics? How could you?!

LOL. :P It's just that physics is one of my favorite subjects.

Sarah: Hope you like them. :)

Crack You Whip: Thanks!

Stuart Nager said...

ok...I am learning so much from you. Science was never my strong class in HS (English and Social Studies Honors student instead). This is much more interesting now. Thanks GE

Medeia Sharif said...

I've always been interested in air, wind, water movement, etc. It was great reading about the scientific terms, some of which I read about ages ago in school.

The Golden Eagle said...

Stuart: I'm glad I can make it interesting. :)

You're welcome!

Medeia: It's amazing to think how much they affect our lives.

The Golden Eagle said...

Charles: Sorry I didn't reply to your comment earlier! I just found it in the Spam folder, for some reason.

Glad you liked the images! :)

Haddock said...

That is a wonderful illustration of the air flow.

The Golden Eagle said...

Haddock: I'm glad you enjoyed the images. :)

J.L. Campbell said...

Interesting stuff, much of it stuff I never think about.

The Golden Eagle said...

J. L.: Hope you thought it worth your while. :)