18 September, 2012

Kismet Blog Tour: Guest Post: Why I Decided To Self Publish

Last Thursday I posted the cover for Beth Fred's Kismet. Today, I have a guest post by the author about why she decided to self publish.

Take it away, Beth!

**********

Eagle, thanks for having me today.

For me, deciding to self publish was a bit of a process. It’s something I always wanted to do, but never had the confidence for. Then I wrote a really cute "sweet romance." It got full requests and revision requests from multiple small presses. I vented about the revision requests as they came in, took a week to think, made the revisions and responded. But then I started getting round 2 requests for revisions, and at this point was un-changing things. True, it’s because each editor is looking for something different, so something one editor had me changed another liked, but still, it was maddening. And in addition to un-changing things, there were new changes that I didn’t agree with. Royalties have always been higher self publishing. Big publishers don’t buy short stories, and marketing budgets are about the same for a self published author and an author with a small press. And it allowed me greater controlled. I did un-change things, because I wanted to. I changed something no one told me to. And I didn’t change anything else. I wrote a beautiful story that could have perpetually changed or stayed dormant on my hard drive. Instead, I’m sharing it with the world, still intact. I hope people enjoy Kismet.


About Kismet:
When twenty-four-year-old Tiffany escapes her sister Kammy's too wild Cancun bachelorette party, she finds herself in a bar with the unwanted attention of a gorgeous local named Luke.
   Luke may be charming but Tiffany is leaving in two days and doesn't need any complications. But complications are exactly what she gets when the cops show up to raid Kammy's party. After Kammy is arrested, Tiffany agrees to have dinner with Luke, so he'll help her get Kammy out of jail. Kammy's arrest forces her to spend an extra day in Cancun, meaning she'll miss a crucial meeting, and as an accountant in tax season, she is already drowning in work. Not to mention, every second she spends with Luke makes it harder to leave. With Luke, Tiffany can forget about work.
   But will the airport be their final goodbye?

And for a limited time it includes an excerpt from best selling author Lizzy Ford! Available at amazon, B&N, and Smashwords.   

About Beth Fred:
Beth Fred lives in Wisconsin with her husband and their little ELF (Emily Lace Fred). She spends her time bringing her day dreams to life on paper, and blogging about bringing day dreams to life. You can find more about that at www.bethfred.com.

**********

Any of you considering self-publishing? Have you already self-published your work? If you're a writer who's gone the traditional route, would you ever try self-publishing?


-----The Golden Eagle

42 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

It's a lot of work. Probably more than I could handle.
Wish you luck, Beth!

Andrew Leon said...

And that's a big reason to skip the whole agent thing. Some of them have you change things just to see if you'll do it and others want you to tailor the story just to them, and it's not worth it, because it's -your- story. Unless they point out actual issues in your story (like, hey, you have your character in two places at once) and leave you to decide how to fix it, you should cling to the story you believe in.

Brinda said...

My two published books are without a small press, but I might consider self-publishing in the future.

Beth said...

I agree. I'll be ready to query a full length novel at the end of the year. I'm only querying 5-10 agents. Two years ago, I would have queried 100.

Deborah Walker said...

Good luck, Beth. And thanks for sharing your story. I hope Eagle invites you back for an update.

Pat Hatt said...

Yeah self publishing is a ton of work, but at least you don't get a bunch of flip flop so called fixes.

The Desert Rocks said...

Sounds like a wonderful story and I'm glad she decided to self publish so she could write it the way it was meant to be....

Li said...

I'd like to go both routes - publisher as well as self-published, especially since I mostly write short stories and there seems to be a dearth of publishers interested in short story collections. Revisions are fine, but I agree that if it turns into a complete re-write, then perhaps the best thing to do is to self-publish and remain true to your story of you believe in it. Good luck Beth!

Liz said...

It's nice to have so many options.

As for me, I have to finish something first. Then I'll figure out where it fits.

Connie Keller said...

Thanks for sharing your story, Beth. I thought about small presses before I self-pubbed, but I didn't really explore it too much. I've always wondered if I should have investigated it further. Now you've made me glad I self-pubbed.

Beth said...

Thank you for hosting today!

Bonnee Crawford said...

I'd really like to give a shot at both traditional and self-published. When I look at them, I can see the pros and cons in both of them. Mostly, I want to traditional publish first just to prove that I am good enough for the industry and to get that bit of extra help with publicity and whatnot; seeing to it that everything is professionally done. But self-publishing is definitely not off the list. It's one thing to ask me to change a bit of my story, but if I'm in complete disagreement with it and after trying, I'm still not happy with it, I'm a lot more likely to consider pulling out and doing it my way. The extra royalties that come with self-pub are a good thing and of course it gives me more freedom. But I'll try trad first and see how I go.

Beth's book sounds pretty awesome. Sounds like a really sweet plot. Thanks to Beth for sharing this with us and thanks to Eagle for hosting. :)

Charles Gramlich said...

I was published formally in the small press. Still am getting stuff published that way. But I did try self publishing because I wanted the experience. It has generally been a positive one for me.

Jai Joshi said...

When I self-published six years ago I was thrilled. My story's a bit like yours, in fact. It was the right thing to do for me.

That Luke sounds hunky. Good luck on the book release, Beth!

Jai

....Petty Witter said...

Great post, very interesting. Sadly, I know those who claim that if an author is self-publicised they are not a real writer - such rubbish, I say good luck to all those who choose to go down this route.

Michael Offutt, Tebow Cult Initiate said...

Congratulations on publishing "kismet"! I love that word :))

nutschell said...

Self publishing takes a lot more work for sure, but you do have the added bonus of being able to keep your story the way you want it. :)

Congrats, and Good luck Beth!

Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

M Pax said...

Publishing is fun and rewarding. A lot of work though. But you'd be doing most of that work anyway. Best, Beth.

Angela Brown said...

Having the option to self-publish is wonderful. It is quite a bit of work, as I'm learning, but a very engaging process.

Trisha said...

The more I read about this stuff, the more I think self-pubbing is the way to go :)

Lynda R Young said...

I admire anyone who has the know-how and drive to self-publish. I think it also takes a huge amount of courage to self-publish. I don't yet have that courage ;)

DWei said...

I don't think I've written anything worth publishing yet. :P

Ellie Garratt said...

I admire your determination to publish the book you wrote, Beth. Self-publishing is damn hard work but ultimately the author still has full control.

Lauren said...

I'm thinking I might self-publish my novella first, although it's totally different from anything else I write. I was considering one of my other novels.

Miss Jack Lewis Baillot said...

I'm always happy to meet others who have self-published. I am going that way as well. I think it is the more freedom I have with things, and other reasons.

Thank you for sharing!
Allons-y

Cherie Reich said...

Being in control of your book is a great thing about self-publishing. I write a lot of shorter works, so self-pubbing was a better way to go for me. That's not saying I wouldn't try something else with a full-length novel, though.

jnana said...

If I ever do write a story, I don't think I'd self-publish. Works for many though.

Paul Tobin said...

Interesting post, thank you for sharing your journey.

the writing pad said...

Interesting about self publishing - I understand (from things I've read, not personal experience) that the modern author is required to do a lot of self publicising - i.e. get an internet persona, do twitter, facebook etc etc. - even if someone else has actually published the book - maybe it is better, in a way to be doing all that marketing for yourself :-)

Mark Noce said...

I don't think self-publishing is for me, but I know lots of people who do and am very interested in it:)

Emily R. King said...

Publishing is a personal journey. I wish Beth lots of luck!

Michael Di Gesu said...

Great guest post Golden.


Yes, I have and am considering to self publish. I still want to query a bit more, but if by the end of the year I am still agentless I might self publish my first novel.

At some point our work NEEDS to be read and in today's market authors can certainly get the stories out themselves.

Tanya Reimer said...

Thanks for sharing your journey!

Heather said...

Yay Beth for not giving up on your dreams! Each of our roads is different and that's okay. What's important is finding the path that is right for us.

Samantha Sotto said...

Bravo to Beth for not giving up! Publishing is brutal and it's really nice to read stories about people who've made their writing dreams come true.

Miss Jack Lewis Baillot said...

Thank you for your comment and your thoughts. I've found all of them very helpful 8-D

Allons-y

J. A. Bennett said...

I think self-publishing is the right move for some, just not for me. Then again I'll never say never!

Susan Fields said...

It was interesting to read your take on self-publishing vs. getting a publisher - thanks for sharing!

Madeleine Sara said...

Gosh those edits sound like a huge headache! I'd be howling with exasperation! Good for you self publishing, Beth and good luck with the book launch.

Peggy Eddleman said...

It sounds like a great book!

I'm publishing traditionally, and don't think I'd ever do otherwise. I love having people who are much smarter than me at the non-writing stuff do all those parts. :)

Rachel Morgan said...

Hey! I'm in the self publishing boat with you :-) It's a lot of work, but I don't regret it. I enjoy the amount of control I have.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.tdedballleague.com/smf2.0.2/index.php?topic=27371.new#new]for example by using new as ever[/url]
[url=http://www.orleansjob.fr/smf/index.php?topic=94575.new#new]Once you massage Therefore you must[/url]
[url=http://gardenpasture.co.uk/gardenpastureforum/index.php?topic=583668.new#new]to do any complicated should notice is[/url]
[url=http://testoweforum2.w8w.pl/index.php?topic=647.new#new]techniques to wash also how to store[/url]
[url=http://prakanlooknok.com/webboard/index.php?topic=27145.new#new]this by using a damp worse in some compartment[/url]