07 November, 2011

Blog Tour Book Review: Exiled by RaShelle Workman


Title: Connected Series Book 1: Exiled
Author: RaShelle Workman
Release date 11-11-11 through Polished Pen Press in cooperation with Literary Underground
Genre: YA/Science Fiction
Page Count: 307
Rating: 4 out of 5
Cover Rating: 4 out of 5. I really liked this cover the first time I saw it, because it's different and a bit striking. It manages to include the Science Fiction-feel of the novel, along with the story's romantic side.

Book Summary:
Stubborn, sixteen-year-old Princess Venus of Kelari wants one thing, to become immortal, that is, until someone exiles her to Earth, kills her irrihunter and takes her family.
   Now she wants revenge.
   First she’s got to get home. But before she can return to Kelari, the Gods have commanded her to help an arrogant boy named Michael find his soul mate.
   Only she doesn't know the first thing about love.
   Rather quickly, her inexperience with human emotion is obscured by other matters—alien-controlled psychotic teens that are out to kill her, and a government group that is set on capturing and dissecting her.
   Worst of all, Venus will suffer a painful death-by-poisoning, thanks to Earth’s atmosphere, if she remains on the planet longer than one week.
   Still, Venus is a Princess and she's got a plan. Surely, with her help, Michael will fall in love with a human.
   But time is running out and Michael is falling for the wrong girl—her.

My expectations: High. I was intrigued by the blurb and the trailer, mentions of the story on the author's blog, and the other reviews I'd come across.

I'm happy to be able to say Exiled met those expectations.

About the book: This book is unique. That's one thing I really enjoyed about the story; I've never come across another YA book all that similar to it, particularly because it has SF and Romance as two central themes, not a usual combination. The writing, while occasionally awkward, is strong overall; I liked the way things were described, along with the dialogue.
  • Plot:
Surprising. There were plenty of twists and turns in this book, from start to finish.
  • Characters:
I liked Venus a lot more than I thought I would. She was strong and determined to complete the mission assigned to her by the gods, and she kept trying, even as she physically weakened due to Earth's atmosphere.

Michael was an interesting character. He didn't appeal at the beginning, but by the end of the novel, I was rooting for him.

Dervinias, also known as "Vinny", was a great antagonist. Excellent at keeping secrets, he was a formidable adversary, and a sinister one at that.
  • Setting/Elements:
At the beginning, many of the alien words confused me. It does put the reader straight into the story without preamble, but I felt like I'd missed some kind of explanation that happened earlier on. However, the Science Fiction world in this book is detailed and, as I mentioned before, unique; Kelari is similar to Earth, but very different in other ways, and the contrast between the two is intriguing.

Other: Violence, sexual content.

Do I recommend this book? If you like Romance and Science Fiction, I definitely recommend this book.

Trailer:




About the Author:

RASHELLE WORKMAN lives with her husband, three children and three dogs. When she gets a quiet moment alone, she enjoys reading about faraway places. And, in case you were wondering, yes, she does believe there is other life out in the Universe.

Website/Blog: http://www.rashelleworkman.com/

Facebook: RaShelle Workman author
Twitter: RaShelleWorkman
Goodreads: Exiled

**********

Exiled is part of the Dark C.A.R.M.A blog tour:






-----The Golden Eagle

43 comments:

shelly said...

Nice review. It's on my TBR list.

....Petty Witter said...

Still trying to decide if I like the cover or not. Thanks for your review, not too sure if this is a read for me or not but I'm glad to know your thoughts.

Stephen Tremp said...

Good luck to RaShelle, especially during the upcoming holiday season! I'm thinking big thoughts for lots of sales.

RaShelle Workman said...

Thanks for posting and writing such a complete review. You're awesome!

@Stephen - Appreciate the big thoughts. =D

Mark Noce said...

Neat:) Not normally my cup or tea, but perhaps I'll check it out:)

Michael Offutt said...

Wow. Would you look at that cover? I may have to check this one out. I do like me some romance in my sci-fi.

prerna pickett said...

love that cover!

Old Kitty said...

Ooooh I can't wait to read my copy!!! Yay!!!!!

Thanks Golden Eagle for your review - glad to hear it's romantic and sci-fi!! Yum!!

Take care
x

Suz Korb said...

Yes! I love the cover of this novel. It's my all time fave. I think I love it even a little bit more than my own cover. Do I? Teehee ;)

RaShelle Workman said...

Thanks everyone. I hope you'll enjoy spending time in EXILED's pages.

@Suz - Your cover is gorgeous, too.=D

M Pax said...

Congrats to Rashelle. It's a beautiful cover.

Lynda R Young said...

The cover truly is striking and the premise sounds like an interesting read as well. Thanks for the great review.

Lydia Kang said...

Good luck RaShelle! The book looks great and the premise is really unique!

Peggy Eddleman said...

I love a book that meets high expectations!

E.R. King said...

Great review. I liked this book a lot, and I, too, had high expectations. The cover lured me in, but the writing kept me reading.

E.R. King said...

Crap. I don't think I was supposed to tell you that I totally sneaked my sister's advanced copy from her. Don't tell anyone, okay? : )

RaShelle Workman said...

E.R. King - I won't tell if you won't. LOL Glad you liked it. =D

Amberr Meadows said...

The book sounds fantastic, and I'm a real sucker for lovely cover art. I'll have to check it out.

Good luck, Rashelle!

laughingwolf said...

sorry... not my cuppa, likely cuz i'm way to old for it....

Charles Gramlich said...

Wow, that is a very cool cover.

Cally Jackson said...

I adore that cover. I rarely read sci-fi but I might have to make an exception for Exiled!

Sarah Pearson said...

This one has been on my tbr list since I first heard about it - and that cover is wonderful.

Medeia Sharif said...

I have RaShelle's book and this makes me excited about reading it in the near future.

Paul Tobin said...

This sounds an interesting book for my daughter, I shall put it in her Christmas stocking. Thanks

Stuart Nager said...

I am not a huge fan of force sexual scenes solely to titillate/sell books. Dropped a number of authors for that reason

Do you feel the character/story development is strong enough to overcome the sexuality?

Stu

Ciara said...

Great review. I'm intrigued and will be checking this book out further. I like the search for immortality morphing into a search for revenge. It sounds like an exciting read. Thanks!

Josh Hoyt said...

Great review. You are wonderful at research and then giving us that information!

Nisa said...

I am so looking forward to this one, too. I'm glad it met your expectations! I love the cover as well!

Bethany Elizabeth said...

Wow, that looks so cool! I'm glad Christmas is coming up, I keep adding books to my TBR pile! :)

Arlee Bird said...

I do like the cover. The trailer has a nice look and ambiance, although perhaps a bit longer than it should be.
Best of success to RaShelle with the book.


Lee
Blogging from A to Z

Madeleine said...

I will put this on my TBR list. I like SF Romance YA, though when you first described it I thought you were going to say it was disappointing, so I'm glad it met your expectations.

Nancy Thompson said...

I'll have to tell my writer friend, Laila Knight. This is just up her alley. Thanks!

The Golden Eagle said...

Tracy: You're very welcome!

Stephen: Same here. :)

RaShelle: It's my pleasure. I really enjoyed reading your book!

Mark: Hope you do--and that you like it. :)

Michael: I thought the same thing when I first saw it!

Me, too.

Prerna: I like it, too. :)

Old Kitty: You're welcome!

Suz: It's definitely a great cover. And yours is awesome. :)

M: Agreed!

Lynda: You're welcome!

Lydia: I agree; that's one of the things that attracted me when I first heard about the book.

Peggy: Indeed. :)

E.R.: Thank you!

Amberr: Hope you enjoy it. :)

Laughingwolf: It does aim more for teenagers. :P

Charles: I agree!

Cally: I love Science Fiction . . . so it wasn't that much of a genre jump for me. :P

Sarah: Mine, too. I'm glad I got to read it!

Medeia: I hope you like it. :)

Paul: You're very welcome!

Stuart: I do--although the story is based on the premise that Venus (the MC) must find the other protagonist's soul mate, so love is a bit of a central theme throughout the book.

Ciara: Thank you!

You're welcome. :)

Josh: Thank you--that means a lot to me, as I'm currently working on a project that involves research. :)

Nisa: I hope you like it!

Bethany: LOL. Same here . . . there are just so many new authors and books.

Arlee: I like the cover, too. :)

Madeleine: Me, too. :P

Nancy: I know her! :)

You're welcome!

Shelley said...

The book cover is very intriguing! Sounds like a unique read! Nice review! :)

Susan Fields said...

The book I'm querying right now is sci fi and romance - I'll have to check this out!

The Golden Eagle said...

Shelley: Thank you!

Susan: Sounds like a good story. :)

Shallee said...

Great review! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I got the chance to read this one too, and will be reviewing it later in the month. :)

J. A. Bennett said...

Sounds good. I like that cover!

Carol Riggs said...

Thanks for YOUR review! Very interesting. I enjoy milder sci-fi, though not too much violence or sexual situations. Hard to say if this would be a bit much for me or not, in that regard. I like that it has plenty of plot twists! :)

J.L. Campbell said...

I've seen the cover around and thought it was different. You comments on the book should inspire though who read sci-fi to jump on this one.

Sangu said...

This sounds great! Have you read THE HOST? It combines sci-fi with romance really well, and it always sticks out in my mind because combining the two genres is so rare!

Li said...

I love the cover art! Hope you're doing well on NaNoMo

The Golden Eagle said...

Shallee: Thank you!

Can't wait to read your review. :)

J. A.: I do, too.

Carol: You're very welcome!

There is description--I don't think it was too overboard, but some of the content did disturb me a bit as I read.

I (almost) always enjoy a book with a lot of plot twists. :)

J.L.: Hopefully!

Sangu: I've read it; I can't say it's one of my favorite books, but I did enjoy parts of it. I thought it was better than Twilight, at any rate. :P

Li: I like it, too. :)

Thank you! Just posted about NaNo . . . it's not going as well as I'd hoped.