15 October, 2012

My Novel Is The Next Big Thing!

Well, okay, maybe not. But Chris Kelworth (of The Kelworth Files) and David Powers King (of The Cosmic Laire) both tagged me in the Next Big Thing, or Be Inspired, meme-whatsit that's been circulating in the blogosphere and asks people about their current works-in-progress. Thanks for tagging me, guys!

The questions are a little different for each tag but basically ask the same things, so I'm going to mix and match from both. The WIP in question is my upcoming NaNoWriMo novel since I've pretty much decided what I'm going to write about. This will help me flesh out my ideas, at any rate.

On to the tag!

1. What is the title of your book?
I don't know, actually. It's just half an outline and an underlying concept at the moment.

2. Where did the idea for your book come from?
A bit of a long story. You see, I was feeling destitute of good ideas, and in hopes of jogging my creative side I decided to write down ALL of the things I liked in fiction onto slips of paper (separated by category, such as Writing Style, Plot Element, Point of View, etc.) and then randomly combine a few from each. One of those combinations inspired the idea of a ship traveling to a new planet. Then, editing the idea, I thought:

"What if colonists decided to land on a known and as-yet-unexplored continent, but while journeying to their destination were plagued by mysterious disappearances and tragedies onboard an airship? And what if the main character befriended the saboteur behind their problems?"

Yup. That's the stuff that comes out of my brain.

3. In what genre would you classify your book?
Science Fiction/Steampunk. I love reading Steampunk but I've never actually tried writing it myself. I'm not positive about the age group, though I think the protagonist will be from 15-20 years old.

4. Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie?
Other than the obligatory Alan Rickman somewhere, no clue. I'll probably have more of an answer after the book's been written.

5. Give us a one-sentence synopsis of your book.
On the way to a new world, the son of a prominent airship captain becomes tangled in the beginning of war that could lead to the destruction of his family and his career.

6. Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
My dream, at the moment, is to have my work represented and traditionally published. I think self-publishing is a great and highly viable alternative, but I think I'd try submitting to agents first. Just to see if anyone liked what I had to offer.

7. How long did it take you to write your book?
Seeing as I haven't written anything yet, I'd estimate this novel to take around two months. I finished last year's NaNoWriMo novel during December.

8. What other books within your genre would you compare it to?
I am hoping for a Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld/Airborn by Kenneth Oppel/Jules Verne-ish feel. I'm sure it will fall far short of such works of fiction, but those are the novels with a Victorian Era setting that come to mind. Though it's not exactly Victorian Era; the world isn't Earth and the society has key differences.

9. Which authors inspired you to write this book?
All Steampunk authors influence me, but other than that, there aren't any specific people.

10. What else about your book might pique the reader's interest?
I'm contemplating adding a few steampunk dragons--and other animals. Hovercraft, cyborgs, and sentient trees are already in there.

11. Tag five people!
I'm going to do the same thing David did here and tag the last five people who commented on my blog (though if anyone I list would rather not do the tag, that's fine with me):

Ellie Garratt
Nutschell
Patricia Stoltey
Rachna Chhabria
Anthony Stemke

**********

What are you working on right now? Are you gearing up for NaNoWriMo or brainstorming for some other project?


-----The Golden Eagle

43 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Alan Rickman - but of course!
I like the stuff that comes out of your brain.

Liz said...

Sounds like an interesting idea. It's funny how story ideas come to us. Even the littlest thing can inspire.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I'm in the middle of 2nd draft of a novel. You're not the first author who wants Alan Rickman in their novel turned into a movie.

Old Kitty said...

Totally love what came out of your most creative and talented brain!!! I hope you do get an Alan Rickman character, even if it's just his gorgeous velvetty voice...!! Take care
x

Bess Weatherby said...

It seems like everyone gets their ideas differently :)

prerna pickett said...

that sounds awesome! i love a good sci-fi and steampunk is also a genre i enjoy. wish i knew more about it!

Pat Hatt said...

A Rickman character type of guy would be grand. And dragons too, can't go wrong with them.

mooderino said...

Alan Rickman does seem like he was made for steampunk. I like your random bits of paper idea for coming up with the story.

mood
Moody Writing

Juliet said...

super excited for Nano! add me as a writing buddy, ilovepurple :) and good luck!
Juliet

Janet Johnson said...

LOVE the obligatory Alan Rickman. :)

And sounds like great fun. Writer's minds are just awesome. :D

Elise Fallson said...

You had me at steampunk dragons. Get it done and it'll be awesome. (:

Jay Noel said...

So glad you've decided to try your hand at steampunk. I wrote my steampunk book before I knew the genre had a name.

I loved reading Verne and HG Wells growing up, and it's been so great learning more about it as its own genre.

Bish Denham said...

Cool. I like steampunk. I got these meme too. Fun!

Cherie Reich said...

Hehe! The obligatory Alan Rickman. ;)

Sounds like a fun book you're planning to write!

M Pax said...

Alan Rickman is fab. The premise of your novel is intriguing. I'd definitely read it.

Denise Covey said...

Hey Golden, why shouldn't your novel be the next Big Thing? Your ideas sound good! I've got my general idea for my latest novel for NaNo. Sort of been playing with it. What fun, eh? Can't wait for Nov 1st!

mshatch said...

I concur with Alex: I like the stuff that comes out of your brain, too :)

And Alan Rickman is an excellent choice!

L.G.Smith said...

Love the sound of a steampunk novel with airships. If you have five minutes, check out this video that features a steampunk dirigible. There's even a small dragon in it. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1mX8ptsmBM

Brinda said...

"the obligatory Alan Rickman"...I love it!

Trisha said...

Sounds like a great plan, and I look forward to sharing your NaNo journey during November :)

Nancy Thompson said...

You remind me of Adam Heine. He loves that sort of thing. Sounds very intriguing. I hope you bring it to life!

Jai Joshi said...

I like the premise of your book. My question is whether or not the sabotage has to do with the planet itself or if there's another intrigue going on. Very interesting!

Jai

Erin Kane Spock said...

I love that Alan Rickman is, of course, due to be included.

Carrie Butler said...

Oo, sounds great, Eagle! :)

Cheetah said...

I am doing NaNoWrimo, and this is my first year. By the way, I am only 11 years of age!:P Thank you for commenting on my blog!
Jasmyne:D

JeffO said...

Sounds pretty cool - I hope it goes well for you!

Lynda R Young said...

I won't be able to Nano this year. Far too busy. But I love how you came up with the idea for your story. So great!!

Medeia Sharif said...

I like the sound of your project. :)

I'm not doing NaNo. One of these years I'll participate.

DWei said...

I'm working on the papers that are due for my various classes. :P

the writing pad said...

Sounds like you're bursting with brill ideas! Good luck with the novel and Nanowrimo :-)

Yvonne Osborne said...

Yup. Definitely the next big thing!

I'm currently getting back into the ms. editing that I abandoned at the beginning of the growing season and hope to query this winter.

Thanks for asking!!

Summer Ross said...

I'm just starting to get into steampunk reading. In general I'm not much of a sciencefiction fan, but there is something alluring about steampunk that I can't seem to steer away from it. I've even written some shorts on it.

Steampunk dragons- love the idea. Thanks for sharing, my Next big thing post will be on Friday.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi GE .. good for you for doing Nano last year and finishing the novel off in December .. your thought processes are interesting ... as I'd never heard of steampunk til the Paralympics - everytime I see the name it jumps out at me. Interesting .. I know Mervyn Peake as a steampunk author - I guess I'd better watch out for the Next Big Thing .. ms GE!!

Cheers to you .. and oh yes - Alan Rickman's fine by me!! Hilary

Beth said...

Good luck writing your novel!

Charles Gramlich said...

I want to write some steampunk myself but haven't had the right idea hit me yet.

Michael Offutt, Tebow Cult Initiate said...

Steampunk is HUGE right now. I'm glad you filled this out to give us a glimpse behind your keyboard.

The Golden Eagle said...

Alex: Isn't a movie without that guy, I tell you.

Aw, thanks. :)

Liz: Definitely true!

Susan: LOL. The writing community should form a group and demand he play a role.

Old Kitty: Thanks!

Alan Rickman narrating would be fine with me . . . ;)

Bess: We all have our methods.

Prerna: There are more and more books in the genre--I think it's like all fiction genres, where the more you read the more you understand how it works.

Pat: I love dragons. Griffins, too, probably because they are part eagle.

Mooderino: Thanks! It was a bit of a spur-of-the-moment thing, as I was kind of desperate for ideas.

Juliet: Just added you. :) Wishing you luck with NaNo as well!

Janet: LOL. Glad you enjoyed that part.

They're interesting ones, that's for sure!

Elise: I'll just have to make sure I can realistically work them into the plot/setting . . .

Jay: That's awesome. I kind of did the same thing with my first novel; only later did I realize it was Hard Science Fiction with some Military SF elements.

Bish: I'll have to visit your blog and read yours. :)

Cherie: Yup.

Thank you!

Mary: Glad you like the premise.

Denise: I love figuring out new stories. I'm a plotter, so I'm also rather enjoying having at least part of my novel all laid out. Should help me keep up with the word count.

Mshatch: Thanks. :)

L.G.: I will definitely have to watch that!

. . . just got back. Wow, that was amazing.

Brinda: :D

The Golden Eagle said...

Trisha: I'll be sure to keep everyone posted on my progress . . . even if it is a lot of "OMGOSH I'm so far behind!" LOL.

Nancy: Adam Heine? I'll have to look him up. Sounds like we'd get along. :)

Jai: Thank you!

Erin: If one of my books was ever made into a movie I'd really, really want him to be in it. LOL.

Carrie: Glad you like the sound of it!

Cheetah: That's awesome you're participating in NaNoWriMo! And it's great to see a young blogger. :) I'm a teenager myself.

JeffO: Thanks!

Lynda: Oh, I can definitely understand being busy. I'm wondering how I'm going to fit everything (or maybe not everything) into my schedule.

Medeia: Thank you. :)

Hope you'll let us know when you do!

DWei: Ah . . . not the most fun, I take it?

The writing pad: Thank you so much!

Yvonne: Aw, thanks. :)

I like knowing what other writers are working on--everyone seems to have something cool on their plate.

Summer: Maybe the time period? It feels a lot less like the ultra-tech that Hard Science Fiction endorses.

You're welcome! Looking forward to your tag post. :)

Hilary: Thanks!

I've never heard of Mervyn Peake. I'll have to check out that author, since I'm always on the lookout for good steampunk writing.

A lot of bloggers seem to agree on Alan Rickman.

Beth: Thank you.

Charles: I've always kind of wanted to write steampunk since I first read a book in the genre . . . but true, it's hard to hit just the right idea.

Michael: Happy to do so. :) Helped me organize some of my thoughts on my upcoming NaNoWriMo project!

Jael Cordova said...

Sounds like you're putting good thought into this. Hope it reaps rewards! Good luck with it!

The Golden Eagle said...

Jael: Thanks. :)

mywithershins said...

Sounds like an ambitious project. Amazing how ideas on little slips of paper can be so inspiring! Good luck with your steam punk adventure! :)

Simon Kewin said...

You know, I think that WIP idea sounds brilliant. I'd definitely read that.

The Golden Eagle said...

Mywithershins: Thank you. :)

Simon: I'm glad you like the idea!