30 October, 2012

Teaser Tuesday (95)

Teaser Tuesday is a weekly, bookish meme hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading.

(You may have noticed that I missed this event last week; I forgot to post when I usually do and then ran out of time later in the day. Sorry, everyone.)

The rules for participating:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

This week, my teaser is from The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. I'd heard about it, looked it up, and discovered it won the Pulitzer Prize in 2001, and so decided to check it out. It's about two boys--cousins--around the time of World War II who break into the then-burgeoning comic industry. It's an interesting story, though I'll admit I know next to nothing about comic books. I love the writing style: The descriptions are very good and the sentences run relatively long. (I do appreciate long sentences, though most books seem to be heading in the opposite direction.)


Two Shriners in fezzes drape him with chains and help him into a heavy canvas mailbag. A lady from the suburbs cinches the neck of the mailbag and fixes the ends of the cord with a ham-sized padlock. Big Al lifts him as if lifting a swaddled babe and carries him tenderly to the coffin, which has been carefully inspected beforehand by the mayor of Empire City, its chief of police, and the head of its fire department, and pronounced tight as a drum.
-p. 129

**********

Know much about comic books? What book(s) are you reading now? Got any teasers to share from a current read?


-----The Golden Eagle

23 comments:

Susan Roebuck said...

Oh good choice! This is the one with the gollum in it, I think. I've read it. And I'm too lazy to go and get my Kindle to do my Teaser Tuesday (tsk)

The Golden Eagle said...

Susan: I believe it's the Golem--though yes, it is in this book. :)

Pat Hatt said...

The cover looks great and nice teaser too, you forgot though last week? Shame on you hahaha

JeffO said...

I've been hearing about this forever and have been meaning to grab it. Just haven't gotten around to it, though. Currently reading "Arcadia", by Lauren Groff.

L.G.Smith said...

I've picked this up at the bookstore and browsed the back blurb a couple of times, and just haven't taken the next step to buy it and read it. I know people rave about Chabon's writing.

Old Kitty said...

My bestest friend is a comics fiend and I'd love to get this for him!! Oh wow!! thank you lovely Eagle for the heads up - that's one off the Christmas list!! Yay! Take care
x

Jai Joshi said...

I don't know much about comic books at all but I did used to read them. This teaser was interesting. I wanted to read on and find out what happened and how the person died. And why they draped him in chains!

Jai

Jack said...

Oh, I want to read that book now, very much. I must find it at my library and if they haven't got it I must beg them too. It looks like it has everything I love in a story.

Right now I'm reading Seraphina, and surprisingly to me, I am enjoying it.

Cherie Reich said...

Cool cover! I've read some comic books, but I don't know too much about them beyond that.

Here's my TT.

Sunny Kern said...

Great Tease!

Christine Rains said...

What an interesting teaser. I know a little about comics, but my husband is the bigger comic book geek. He's heard of the book, but I hadn't.

Connie Keller said...

Really interesting excerpt. I've never read anything by Chabon.

I've never read comic books, but I've enjoyed reading graphic novel versions of books I've already read like Artemis Fowl, etc.

Duncan D. Horne - the Kuantan blogger said...

I don't know anything about comic books, but your teaser sounds great!
Here's mine: I love Dan Brown

S. L. Hennessy said...

That's one of my very favorite novels and an inspiration for my own work.

Tammy Theriault said...

haven't heard the comic... sounds like fun! great blog, new follower. hi!!

DWei said...

I used to read Manga when I was younger but I've moved towards Western comics now.

mooderino said...

I've been thinking about reading this one. So many books on my tbr pile.

mood
Moody Writing

Charles Gramlich said...

From scientific perspectives on pseudoscience and the paranormal:

"One area in which the impact of representativeness on causal judgements is particularly striking is the domain of health and medicine. Historically, people have often assumed that the symptoms of a disease should resemble either its cause or its cure (or both)."

The Golden Eagle said...

Pat: I know, I know. I'll endeavor not to do it again. :P

JeffO: Is it a good book?

L.G.: I really like it. Though probably not everyone would enjoy his style, since it does get somewhat rambling sometimes.

Old Kitty: You're very welcome! :) I'm glad I could post something useful.

Jai: Actually, the person is still alive. The character's an escape artist.

Jack: Hope you find it at your library! I was lucky that the local system had it.

I like that book as well.

Cherie: Me, neither. But I am enjoying The Adventures of Kavalier &#amp; Clay.

Sunny: Thank you!

Christine: I hadn't really heard of it through comics; I just noticed it a reference to it and thought it sounded interesting.

Connie: I hadn't, either, until now.

I need to get around to graphic novel versions of Artemis Fowl. It's one of my all-time favorite series.

Duncan: Glad you liked the teaser!

S. L.: Wow. Your novel must be awesome. :)

Tammy: Thanks for stopping by The Eagle's Aerial Perspective and following!

DWei: I like the manga style, though too many manga comics tend to be a little overwhelming.

Mooderino: Mine, too!

Charles: Very interesting teaser. That does seem to be true about symptoms and cause/cure.

Theresa Milstein said...

My husband enjoyed this book. I'm reading HP #7... again. I left it in the car though. Sorry!



Paul Tobin said...

I've read this, I believe ts based loosely on the guys who came up with Superman. I thought the book was overlong and the section in the Artic was unnecessary, hope I've not spoiled the story. There is a book called 10 cent plague by David Hadju, who has written interesting books about Billy Strayhorn and Bob Dylan as well, about the 1950's comic scare. Also there is a paperback "collection" of the stories that Chabon wrote and got different artists to illustrate.

The Golden Eagle said...

Theresa: HP is always good. :)

Paul: I don't know what you're referring to, so I don't think you've spoiled anything. Interesting that Chabon had illustrators adapt his work.

Medeia Sharif said...

I bought a different Chabon book the other day, but I'd like to get this one too. I'm not too familiar with comic books, but I read a few as a kid.