06 November, 2012

Teaser Tuesday (96)

But first:

If you live in the USA, don't forget to vote!

Important things are on the ballot today, and every vote counts. Literally.

**********

Teaser Tuesday is hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading. This is a weekly, bookish meme where participants post about the books they're reading right now.

Rules for participating:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

This week, my teaser is from The Free Lunch by Spider Robinson. I read Variable Star--a book by Robert A. Heinlein published posthumously that Robinson finished from an outline Heinlein had left--and really liked it, so I thought I'd try this one, which is entirely his work. It's rather interesting.

(Cheers to great artwork on book covers. I love this cover for its colorfulness and whimsy, and the fact the bottom of the illustration isn't blocked out by the author's name, which still gets nice real estate toward the top.)

He nodded . . . took a deep breath, and leaned over the side again.
   He saw nearly at once this time that they didn't really look a whole lot like maggots at all, really--not if you looked closely.
   For one thing, the countless trillions of swarming grains of rice below were not the pale yellow color his memory had imposed on them.

-p. 42


**********

What are you reading now?

-----The Golden Eagle

14 comments:

Pat Hatt said...

wow that is one of the best covers I've ever seen, really well done.

michelle said...

Such an intriguing excerpt!
And that cover art is fabulous!

Duncan D. Horne - the Kuantan blogger said...

Really interesting teaser. I love the book cover too. You can check out my teaser at www.danbrownportal.blogspot.com

Connie Keller said...

I like the cover too. Really enticing!

Right now I'm reading The Life of Pi. I wasn't sure whether I'd like it, but I do. The writing is truly superb.

Lynda R Young said...

The artwork very much reminds me of the old scifi novels of the 70s and 80s, which is kinda nice considering that novel's roots.

Damyanti said...

Cool cover, and teaser. I meant to do a teaser post, but obviously missed it!

DWei said...

More textbooks. Yay for learning.

Charles Gramlich said...

I'm still reading the same book I was reading last week at this time, at least my work book that is.

Krispy said...

Maggots or not, that still sounds pretty icky! I agree with you about the cover; it's lovely!

I did vote yesterday! :)

The Golden Eagle said...

Pat: I agree!

Michelle: Glad you liked both the excerpt and the cover. :)

Duncan: It's a great cover.

Connie: Definitely.

I started reading that book but stopped some 50+ pages in. I should probably pick it up again . . .

Lynda: It is reminiscent of them!

Damyanti: There's always the next Tuesday. :)

DWei: Learning's a lot more fun when it isn't always in the form of a large textbook, though . . . not to say there aren't good textbooks.

Charles: The one you posted the teaser about historical perceptions of disease?

Krispy: Yeah, it turned my stomach a little when I read it, too.

Awesome. :)

Michael Offutt, Tebow Cult Initiate said...

Great teaser. I voted yesterday. My vote counted for the minor stuff but didn't for anything major. Still, I was on twitter telling people in battleground states to "Stay in Line!"

The Golden Eagle said...

Michael: Glad you enjoyed the teaser!

Social networking's had a pretty big role in this election.

Dazzling Mage said...

I love the writing style! Nice teaser!

The Golden Eagle said...

Dazzling Mage: Thanks!

I love Robinson's style.