20 November, 2012

Teaser Tuesday (98)

Teaser Tuesday, a weekly bookish meme hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading, is an event where participants post excerpts from the books they're reading.

Rules:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

This week, my teaser is non-fiction and from The Best Science Writing Online 2012 edited by Bora Zivkovic and Jennifer Ouellette. I mainly picked up this book because I follow BoingBoing and Maggie Koerth-Baker, who was published in this anthology, mentioned it in one of her blog posts. I was then further interested when I noticed Chad Orzel was one of the authors; I'm a fan of his after having read How to Teach Physics to Your Dog.

(It's hard to see when it's relatively small like this, but those periodic table-style squares on the cover actually contain the names of the authors included in the anthology.)

The flaw in this argument is assuming the body of water is characterized by only one parameter: its temperature. In general, there are other characteristics of the water that could be changed due to its heating: for instance, the amount of gas in solution; the presence of other solutes; the presence of convection currents; gradients of the distribution of the temperature of the container. Any, all, or none of these may in fact be the culprit, but it is important to realize that a body of water not in thermal equilibrium may have its behavior characterized by a number of different properties.
-p. 113, "Mpemba's Baffling Discovery", by Greg Gbur


**********

What was the last non-fiction book you enjoyed? What are you reading now?


-----The Golden Eagle

20 comments:

Anthony said...

I'm currently reading Robert McElvaine's 'The Great Depression.'

Pat Hatt said...

Hmm sounds rather interesting, but I think a dog would catch on faster than me haha pfft says the cat as well to the dog.

Angela Brown said...

I think I may have understood a bit of that, though I couldn't prove that if we had a pop quiz :-)

What I'm reading now? Libera Me by Christine Fonseca. Enjoying it thus far.

mooderino said...

My non-fiction reading tends to be writing related. Bit of a one track mind with me.

mood
Moody Writing

laughingwolf said...

beauty, thx ge :)

Connie Keller said...

Hmm. I can't remember the last non-fiction book I read. But right now I'm reading Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks.

Charles Gramlich said...

I just finished reading out of the dark by David WEber, a military SF alien invasion book with a very strange ending.

Beth said...

I think the last non-fiction book I read was The Vow, but I didn't enjoy it.

Adam said...

I guess the last one I read was Origin of Species, Despite the 19th century british english being hard to understand, I'm glad I can say I finished it.

Mark Koopmans said...

Hey,

Just wanted to stop by to say thanks for signing up for what we are now nicknaming "AlexFest."

Looking forward to reading your entry :)

running4him said...

hmmm, looks cool. Well, at the moment I am reading "The Mysterious Island" by Jules Verne... yeah, a typical Verne classic, monotonous!!!! Lol

The Golden Eagle said...

Anthony: It sounds like an interesting book. Does it make any comparisons to today's economic problems, or is it only historical?

Pat: Dogs don't get much love from the cat, I take it. LOL.

Angela: I've seen the cover for Libera Me all over the blogosphere!

Mooderino: Mostly science non-fiction, in my case. :) Though I have read a few writing books.

Laughingwolf: You're welcome! :)

Connie: I've never heard of that book. Are you enjoying it?

Charles: Military SF? I've read a few books in that genre and I love strange endings; might check that one out.

Beth: They made a movie of that book, right? I haven't read/seen either version. Too bad you didn't like it!

Adam: I want to read that book sometime. People talk about Charles Darwin so often, but I haven't directly read any of his works.

Mark: Should be fun! :)

And I can't wait to see the entries of other participants.

Running4him: I've read a few books by Jules Verne--never got around to The Mysterious Island, though!

JeffO said...

I'm trying to fill a gap in my reading history by reading 'Pride and Prejudice.' As for the last non-fiction book I read...I believe it was 'Armageddon in Stalingrad,' by David M. Glantz and Jonathan House. Have a great Thanksgiving!

Carol Kilgore said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

Brinda said...

That is a very cool cover with the periodic table look.

Li said...

Oh, this sounds like just my kind of book! I'm waiting for a copy of Terry Pratchett's new YA "Dodger" and reading an old copy of Great Detective Stories. My fave non-fiction books include "Stiff", "Rats", and the Oliver Sacks book "The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat".

Krispy said...

It's been too long since I read any non-fiction! There's some history books on my plate I'd like to get into though. :)

Happy Thanksgiving!

Lynda R Young said...

Hmm, I read a lot of Christian non-fiction, a lot of books on the writing craft, and I recently pulled out A History of Time again which is great.

....Petty Witter said...

My you read some very deep books. As I mostly read during the night hours I tend to keep away from non-fiction. Between books at the minute, I'm undecided as what to read next.

The Golden Eagle said...

JeffO: Do you like it? I read it a few years ago and didn't really see anything extra special about it . . . . though that's just me, of course.

Carol: Thank you!

Brinda: I love it, too. :)

Li: I've only read one of Pratchett's YA books--must get around to more of them.

Great titles!

Krispy: History books can be fascinating.

Lynda: By Stephen Hawking? That's one of my favorites.

Petty Witter: Hope you find something good to settle on. :)