11 December, 2012

Teaser Tuesday (101)

Teaser Tuesday is a bookish meme hosted by MizB (Should Be Reading) every week.

Rules:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

This week my teaser is from The Rapture of the Nerds by Cory Doctorow and Charles Stross. The book is actually available online for free, since they published it through a Creative Commons (CC-BY-NC-ND-3.0) license. I have to say the story is a little weird a short ways in (weird being subjective, of course) but I like it so far. And hey, who could resist reading a book with the subtitle "A tale of the singularity, posthumanity, and awkward social situations"?

(I could look at this cover for a long time and speculate about how to put the pieces of machinery together. It's a busy image, but I think it's an effective sort of busy.)

As it turns out, like much of the newer local architecture it's an inflatable building, an outsized bounce-house made of metallic fabric and aerogel and compressed air. The whole thing could be deflated and carted elsewhere on a flatbed truck in a morning, or simply attached to a dirigible and lifted to a new spot. (A great safety-yellow gasket the size of a manhole cover sprouts from one side, hooked into power, bandwidth, sewage and water.)
-p. 45


What are you reading now, either fiction or non-fiction? Got any teasers to share?


-----The Golden Eagle

20 comments:

mooderino said...

I like the title but I feel like it could go either way. Could be fun and interesting, could be something else entirely. Let us know if it turns out to be the former.

mood
Moody Writing

Pat Hatt said...

That is a rather interesting cover, surely makes you look twice.

Jai Joshi said...

The title is great and paring it with that image is inspired.

I've got a teaser from Rick Riordan's Heroes of Olympus series. This is from The Lost Hero.

"Leo couldn't believe how stupid he'd acted back at Boreas's palace. He should've figured a family of winter gods would hate him on sight."

Jai

Anthony said...

I haven't read the book, but it looks interesting (and either way, it's free:). If you want to peruse a nonfictional tome on the singularity, transhumanism, et. al, I suggest Kurzweil's 'The Singularity is Near.'

Elizabeth said...

Cute title...quite unique. Thanks for sharing.

My teaser is from LIVE BY NIGHT by Dennis Lehane.

My Teaser is below. Have a great Tuesday.

Elizabeth
Silver’s Reviews
My TT

Misha Gericke said...

Ooh interesting cover. I wonder what the parts make if you put them together right. :-)

Jack said...

Sounds like it might be a fun book to read. And the cover is rather cool. Not what one would expect!

Michael Offutt, Speculative Fiction Author said...

I'm reading the Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor, and it's the best book I've read all year. Can't get enough of it.

Carol Riggs said...

Ha, interesting teaser and cover. Good for machinery geeks. My teaser, from UNDER THE NEVER SKY by Veronica Rossi:

The torches bobbed across the darkness, drawing closer. She wished her mother had never left. She wished she'd never sung to Soren. But wishing wasn't going to get her anywhere.

The Golden Eagle said...

Mooderino: The title was the first thing that struck me. I'll try to write a review of the book--but I might not get around to it. :/

Pat: Indeed!

Jai: I have to get around to reading the Olympus series--I really enjoyed his Percy Jackson books.

Awesome teaser!

Anthony: Yup, free books are always nice. :)

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to check that out.

Elizabeth: You're very welcome!

I'll be by to check it out.

Misha: Hmm. Robot overlord?

Jack: It's unique, that's for sure. :)

Michael: This may be a stupid question, but is it related to the TV series The Walking Dead?

Carol: Interesting teaser! I recognize the title but I've never read the book. Are you enjoying it?

Lynda R Young said...

I LOVE that cover! I agree, it works.

Christine Rains said...

That is cool. The cover is busy, but I like it.

Beth said...

I like the title!

klahanie said...

I can see how you could get lost in that book cover :)

I am working in the background on a book that will be published in January by a person writing about another person in book that can be interacted with in real time. A concept never been attempted before. I shall be making note of it in early January posting.....

Donna K. Weaver said...

Wow. Don't have my book handy or I'd participate.

Rob-bear said...

i've been reading Rules for Radicals by Saul Alinsky. It's non-fiction. Somehow, this doesn't seem the appropriate venue for posting what I read. Just when I was getting ready to join in the weekly process. Sigh!

Which proves I should be hibernating.

jual baju muslim murah said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Emily R. King said...

Intriguing cover and excerpt. I think this is something my husband would enjoy. Thanks!

M Pax said...

Now that looks like an interesting book. I like the title and the cover.

The Golden Eagle said...

Lynda: They got a good graphic designer. :)

Christine: Same here!

Beth: The title caught my attention as well. Cory Doctorow's books and collaborations always have interesting ones.

Klahanie: Your book sounds really cool. I can't wait to read your post about it in January!

Donna: Maybe next week? :)

Rob-bear: All kinds of teasers are welcome here! I've posted from non-fiction in the past, as well as fiction.

Emily: You're very welcome!

Mary: I do, too.