10 December, 2012

The Cheers, Cavanaugh Blogfest

Most everyone in the blogosphere has heard of one person: Alex J. Cavanaugh.

As a way of acknowledging him, Mark Koopmans, Morgan Shamy, David Powers King, and Stephen Tremp have come up with the brilliant idea of hosting an event in his honor, called the Cheers, Cavanaugh Blogfest. I jumped on as soon as I heard about it!

Blogfest questions:

In +/- 20 words, what does Alex look like?
In +/- 20 words, who could play Alex in a documentary (living or dead)?
In +/- 20 words, who does Alex remind you of?
In +/- 100 words, (excluding the title), write flash fiction using all these prompts: Cavanaugh, Ninja, IWSG, Cosbolt, Guitar.

Rules:
- Be a Follower
- Join the Linky List
- Post your 200 word contribution (on Monday, December 10, if you would)
- Have fun!

More information available at any of the hosts' blogs.


My answers:

What does Alex look like? Satellite dishes, obviously. My theory is, his avatar is an accurate representation of alien technology used to emulate humans/infiltrate society. It's the only explanation of how he manages to write so many comments in a day, aside from clones!

Who could play Alex in a documentary (living or dead)?
Casting aside the satellite dish idea for a moment, I'd have to say Orlando Bloom.

Who does Alex remind you of?
No one. I think he's a pretty unique person; or at least, he's the only super-amazing, highly-supportive power-blogger that I've met so far!

Flash fiction piece (untitled):

"Captain Cavanaugh!"
   "No interruptions now, trainee. Be ready to launch on my mark. The Cosbolt must reach our enemy's star system in less than one hour."
   "It's the IWSG. They've left their sign on our ship, sir."
   "The shuriken?"
   "Yes, Captain. And . . . some of the crew are saying there's an IWSG Ninja on board the ship. Strange reports are coming in from all decks."
   "There's nothing we can do about it now. We have to launch; I don't care if guitar music starts blasting through the intercom, the Cosbolt is on a mission. Engineering, get us into space! And you, trainee. Before you leave, I have only one thing to say: There's only one true ninja on board this ship, and he's sitting right in front of you."

(Word count: 131)


There's also a bonus part of the blogfest, which I thought I'd include:

In +/- 40 words, leave a comment for Mrs. Cavanaugh - thanking her for sharing
Dear Mrs. Cavanaugh,
Your husband is amazing, and a great thank you is owed for the personal sacrifices you must make due to Mr. Cavanaugh's blogging. So, thank you! And may you both live long and prosper.



-----The Golden Eagle

47 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's right! Alien technology.
The flash piece was awesome, Golden.
Thank you so much. Yes, my wife makes sacrifices, and I try hard to make it up to her.

Susan Roebuck said...

Well done GE! Do you know, it took me ages to work out what Alex's avatar was! Yes, he's definitely a satellite dish. Great flash fiction - written in his style (and I'm glad the IWSG has its own ship).

Old Kitty said...

The Capn is truly a shiny satellite dish! Yay!!!

And yes - there is only one Capn Ninja!! Silly trainee!! Take care
x

michelle said...

Great answers G.E.
I agree with answer no.#3... he is unique, one-of-a-kind person...

Jay Noel said...

Love your flash fiction!!!

I laughed out loud with the satellite comparison.

Charles Gramlich said...

Fun blogfest!

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi, Golden,

Happy Holidays....

Fantastic Flash Fiction. Enjoyed your answers to the questions!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I never thought of the satellite dish thing but now it makes perfect sense.

Misha Gericke said...

Hahahaha your flash piece is definitely my favorite for the day. :-D

And I laughed out loud at your Orlando Bloom casting.

Jack said...

*Rubs chin.* Satellite dishes...hm...*Is now suspicious*
I loved your flash fiction!! VEry good!

mooderino said...

Clones! of course, it all makes sense now.

mood

JeffO said...

Very nicely done.

mshatch said...

I liked your flash fiction :)

Michael Offutt, Speculative Fiction Author said...

Orlando Bloom is so sexy. Thin, nice hips, shaved hairless chest. Yowsa...I never knew Alex could be so hot.

Pat Hatt said...

haha best decription I've seen of him yet.

Heather said...

This is awesome that you guys are doing this for Alex. And I love learning more about him.

Brinda said...

Of course, guitar music would be blasing from the intercom speakers. LOL

cleemckenzie said...

Pat on the back from me, Eagle! Loved the flash fiction--very appropriate for Alex and his stories.

Candilynn Fite said...

Your flash was fun! And power-blogger, I love it! Sometimes he comments, only seconds after I've posted. Amazing.

Suzanne Furness said...

Satellite dish - a great answer!

Enjoyed the flash fiction too.

Arlee Bird said...

A fitting tribute. And the satellite dish concept makes perfect sense to me.

Lee
Tossing It Out

Morgan said...

Great flash! Very fitting. :)

And I'm still laughing at the satellite answer...

Mark Noce said...

Satellite dishes...wow I've got to give you points for originality on that one:) Following Alex's blog does indeed rock:)

Nancy Thompson said...

Yes, Alex is supremely unique!

Emily R. King said...

He looks like a satellite dish, ha! Love it.

Tammy Theriault said...

correction...you gotta be seasonal...he looks like satellite dishes wearing christmas hats!! :D

Donna Hole said...

Well done Golden. That was a sweet tribute to the Mrs too.

........dhole

Lynda R Young said...

I LOVE your description of what Alex looks like. Awesome!

Trisha said...

Love your answers and your flash piece is great! :)

Marta Szemik said...

Satellite dishes! I'm still laughing.
Orlando Bloom - *drools*
Nice piece of flash fiction!

Jeff Hargett said...

"What does Alex look like? Satellite dishes, obviously." Of course! Makes perfect sense now! Why didn't I see that?

Glad to see another space-based Flash too!

Jamie Gibbs said...

Love the flash fiction :) Those satellite dishes are in fact an extreme closeup of Alex's fingertips - it's the secret to how he types to fast in order to visit all of us at once :)

Jamie

Sean McLachlan said...

Alex rocks!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi GE .. Satellite dishes .. lots of mirrors there .. blasted out into space with guitar music rocking along too - that sounds fun! Cheers Hilary

Elise Fallson said...

"There's only one true ninja on board this ship, and he's sitting right in front of you." Awesome! :D

Romance Book Haven said...

A fantastic flash fiction! Yay! For the Ninja!

Nas

Tyrean Martinson said...

Love your tribute! May both Alex and Mrs. C live long and Prosper!

David P. King said...

Great story, Eagle. Alex is getting his fill of sci-fi, I'm sure, and I knew you'd pull one off without a hitch. Thanks for participating! :)

Stephen Tremp said...

Of course! Alex looks like two satellite dishes. Its so obvious.

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

A Satellite dish, hmmm. LOL. Very interesting analogy. Haha. Too funny.

Melissa Bradley said...

Love, love your descriptions of the Captain. I think he has to be part alien or android maybe. And that flash piece was brilliant!

Laura Eno said...

Hah! I never realized that Alex is the satellite dish. That explains a lot. :)

Gossip_Grl said...

Definitely liked reading your posting and never even thought about a satellite dish, that was clever and enjoyed your flash fiction story!

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

This was highly entertaining. I especially like your answer to the first question. Why didn't any of the rest of us think of that?

xoRobyn

Ella said...

Well done...I love what you wrote :D
Orlando Bloom-yes, I can see that!
Great flash fiction~

Melissa said...

Great entry!

Sorry to be late stopping by. Thanks for visiting my blog. :)

Ellie Garratt said...

Hehe. That's one explanation for how he manages to visit so many blogs!

Sorry I'm so late visiting.