05 February, 2013

Teaser Tuesday (107)

Teaser Tuesday is a meme hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading.

Rules for participating:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

This week my teaser is from Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak. Technically I'm reading it for school, but since it's fiction and I've posted teasers from Russian novels before, I thought it would be fine for this post. I like the book so far; I don't love it, but it takes place in an interesting point in Russian history, right when the revolutions are taking place from the early 1900s through WWII.


The clay huts and geese in the settlement around the station, all scattered with spat-out hunks of sunflower seeds, sat white and frightened under the immobile gaze of the black, menacing sky.
     Bordering the station building was a wide clearing that stretched far to both sides. The grass on it was trampled down, and it was entirely covered by an immense crowd of people, who had spent weeks waiting for trains in the various directions each needed.

-p. 137

**********

Have you read Doctor Zhivago? What are you reading now?


-----The Golden Eagle

21 comments:

Jay Noel said...

Doctor Zhivago...that's a book I haven't read in a VERY long time. Whoa.

And it was Elementary, not Sherlock!

Susan Kane said...

After seeing the movie numerous times, I wish I could say that I read the book, but I haven't.

The books about Russian in that time period hurt my brain. Too much happened to take it all in.

JeffO said...

Never read Doctor Zhivago. I finished Gone Girl, by Gillian Flynn, today. Very good book. Now I need something new....

Romance Book Haven said...

I have not read this book. Sounded interesting, though!

Nas

Pat Hatt said...

Never read the book, scene the movie a long while back though.

mooderino said...

Haven't read this one, but have a few Russians on my TBR.

mood

Liberty Ann Ireland said...

Wow, reading Zhivago! Loved the film but have yet to read it. Thanks for sharing!!

Maurice Mitchell said...

Whoever translated that deserves a medal. In English or Russian that is beautiful. Thanks Eagle!

Deniz Bevan said...

Ooh, this book has been on my to-read list for too many years. I really should read it soon.

kelley jensen said...

no I've never read it, but my sister did :) kelley—the road goes ever ever on

Juliet said...

I've never read that, but it sounds pretty good! I'm actually not currently reading anything :/ It's rare for me, but I haven't been able to get to the library in a while, and I'm tired of re-re-re-reading all the books in my house! :)
Hope you have a great day!
Juliet
www.apurplesky.blogspot.com

Rusty Webb said...

Never read it. I'm reading Chuck Wendig's Blackbirds right now. So far - wow. We'll see how it ends.

Stina Lindenblatt said...

I've might have seen the movie. I'm not sure.

Does that count? :D

Anthony said...

I've always wanted to read that one...By the way, the chatbox tool is a neat addition to the site.

Bonnee Crawford said...

I haven't read the book, but it's one of my ex-English teacher's favourite movies and we watched it in class once. It was interesting, but it went for too long... hahaha. Nice snippet, I'll have to give the book a shot some time! I'm reading the 'V for Vendetta' graphic novel. :)

....Petty Witter said...

A book I feel I should really read but I've seen the film so many times that I feel I know the story so well.

Charles Gramlich said...

I'm reading a book called "The Case for God." I opened it up to put in my two sentences but man those sentences are longggggggggggggggg. :)

michelle said...

Nope, haven't read it.

C. Lee McKenzie said...

I love it when the language adds music, color and grace. Beautiful Pasternak!

M. J. Joachim said...

Haven't read it, but it looks interesting...

The Golden Eagle said...

Jay: Did you like it?

That makes sense--I was wondering if the BBC had made another Sherlock episode that had gone seriously under the radar. :P

Susan: There was an awful lot of political shake up. I can hardly keep all the different parties/people straight.

JeffO: I saw that book on the NYT Bestseller list. It's on my TBR.

Nas: I like it so far.

Pat: My mom has the movie out from the library. Should probably finish the book so I can go watch it . . .

Mooderino: Me, too. There are a lot of Russian authors, I'm discovering. :P

Liberty: You're very welcome!

Maurice: Anytime. I really like the language in this book; there are some wonderful lines.

Deniz: It's a good book!

Kelley: Cool. :)

Juliet: I hope you get to visit the library soon! I'm lucky in that the library's within walking distance; and users can request books from four surrounding counties.

Rusty: I've heard of that book. Glad to hear it's good!

Stina: Well, it's supposed to be a good movie. :)

Anthony: I've had it there for a while. Few people use it, but I like having it there (though Cbox seems to be having some technical difficulties at the moment . . .).

Bonnee: Isn't it like 3 hours long?

I'm glad you enjoyed the excerpt!

I didn't know they'd made a graphic novel out of that book.

Petty Witter: I'm looking forward to the movie. The book is so complex I'm curious to see how they adapt it.

Charles: LOL. Teaser Tuesday definitely brings out how long sentences in a book actually are.

Michelle: I hadn't even heard of it until my mom pointed it out to me in Barnes & Noble relatively recently.

C. Lee: Me, too.

M.J.: It's an interesting story.