01 March, 2013

Back from the Future Blogfest

The Back from the Future Blogfest is hosted by M. Pax, Suze, and Nicki Elson. The concept is really cool: Post about what you'd find in a time capsule you've sent yourself from the future. I love thinking about the future, so of course I signed up! (Sorry about posting so late, though. It's past 16:30 in my time zone . . . oops.)

From the hosts:
You're up before dawn on a Saturday when the doorbell rings. You haven't brewed your coffee so you wonder if you imagined the sound. Plonking the half-filled carafe in the sink, you go to the front door and cautiously swing it open. No one there. As you cast your eyes to the ground, you see a parcel addressed to you ... from you.

You scoop it up and haul it inside, sensing something legitimate despite the extreme oddness of the situation. Carefully, you pry it open. Inside is a shoebox--sent from ten years in the future--and it's filled with items you have sent yourself.

What's in it?


First, there would be a note that says, "Time travel has been invented. Here's the formula so you can go win the Nobel Prize for Physics and do ourselves proud."

Second, there would be a note that says, "You're not insane. Here's a textbook that proves the mathematics of time travel."

Third, there would be yet another note that says, "You really aren't crazy. Remain calm. You're going to make some fabulous memories in the next 10 years and you're going to get a degree and you're going to do well for yourself. You just have to work hard enough. (No, I'm not giving you a copy of your dissertation.)"

Fourth, there would be a final and concluding note that says, "I don't know what else to say. I don't want to ruin anything for you--me?--but I want to yammer away because you understand more than anyone about how this brain works.

"Oh, well. As long as you don't make the stupid decision--er, never mind, something good comes out of that. Anyway. You'll find all this out on your own. I apologize for the questions I must have raised, now that you've analyzed the box and checked the return address (fictional, I assure you), tested the handwriting against your own, and studied the voice of these notes.

"And one last thing: You can stop worrying about Sherlock: Season Three now, because it was just as great as the first two."

**********


What would be in your time capsule? Mostly words? Mostly pictures? Do you think you'd have a lot of information to convey to a younger version of you? Would you try to be humorous or serious, or a mix of both?


-----The Golden Eagle

31 comments:

Carol Kilgore said...

I love the "stupid mistake" part :)
Happy Weekend!

Andrew Leon said...

I'm glad to hear that about Sherlock! Thanks for taking away that stress.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

First person smart enough to send the time travel formula back!!

Mark Means said...

Haha....as slow as Sherlock is, it might take ten years for the next season...well done ;)

Krista McLaughlin said...

I love how you convinced yourself that you actually did it. Also about Sherlock, whew! :)

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Nice to know you've got your priorities straight... time travel and Sherlock Holmes. That made me smile. Something tells me you're the kind of person who uses a lot of post-it notes, huh? Nice to meetcha.

Denise Covey said...

Not a surprise what you'd like to see Golden. Not sure what I'd like -- objects of some kind I'd say.

laughingwolf said...

a gooder, ge :)

i'd like to see medical science has reached the point where physical pain and deformities can be corrected, and mental/emotional pain and deformities can be nipped in the bud....

Stephen Tremp said...

I would need confidence too that I'm not crazy. Great post! I'm glad I stopped by today.

DWei said...

Money and/or an external hard drive filled with information such as winning lottery ticket numbers, stock market information, any writing that I've done, useful information about other people.

Now I use the next 10 years to amass my empire.

Donna Hole said...

Well, I'd love to know someone who won the nobel peace prize :) And, were all those notes on post-it?

.......dhole

Annalisa Crawford said...

Time travel, the science behind time travel and Sherlock... I think you've covered the important things :-)

Nick Wilford said...

A great take on the blogfest!

JeffO said...

You know, I can't help but wonder what a note from Future Me would do to Current Me. Is that future immutable? Can I screw it up? Does it matter what I do now, because the future's already set? AAAAAGH!

Rusty Webb said...

I would hate to get a note from myself - unless it was either a note saying, "your not dead in 10 years," or maybe some lottery numbers. Anything else and I'm probably going to be pissd. Wait, I could handle some dire warning I suppose. But even something saying things are going to work out ok would screw me up.

And if time travel has been invented then I'd imagine the world has descended into chaos. Causality is over.

Pat Hatt said...

Thanks for the Sherlock heads up and great thought sending the time travel formula back. I;d just go with a lotto ticket

Charles Gramlich said...

Lol. my note would probably start. "I know you didn't think you'd make it another ten years but..."

D.G. Hudson said...

Loved that last line, I'm a Sherlock fan. I also liked the reference to you validating the contents!

I'm still cruising through the bloglist, and brightening my day with the broad range of responses on this topic. A great idea for a blogfest!

Roland D. Yeomans said...

Nobel Prize, huh? Well, why not?

Future lotto numbers would be chief in my box! :-)

Tara Tyler said...

we should all quit worrying! something good usually comes!

great future notes and i'd love to see the math!

Sherry Ellis said...

It would be so cool if time travel did exist!

mshatch said...

I liked this, especially the bit about Sherlock :)

Tammy Theriault said...

it's a shame i missed this bloghop...oh wait, i gotta refer to your note, i'm not insane!

Trisha F said...

Nice post, and now you've got me curious about that stupid mistake too. haha.

Sylvia van Bruggen said...

Even though I am a writer, my thinking process is rather visually oriented, so I guess the messages would be the same :) As for what is on it, I have a very hard time picking one from the jumble in my head right now :)

And, I have NO doubt that Season 3 of Sherlock will be of the same utter brilliance as the first two were. It's the Moffat effect, you know, everything he touches, turns gold.

Paul Tobin said...

I think this is very clever. It had me laughing, I loved the mistake-made it all the more real.
I am impressed with your goals- a Nobel and season 3- go for it girl!

Michael Di Gesu said...

Love the notes to yourself Eagle. I wrote one to myself too... LOL.

Glad you didn't ruin your surprise for the next ten years.

I mentioned things I had accomplished, but NOT how I accomplished them. We are so bad to ourselves. LOL.

The Golden Eagle said...

Carol: LOL. Thanks. :)

Andrew: You're very welcome.

Alex: I'm all for scientific discoveries. :P

Mark: Hopefully it won't . . . I think they're supposed to start shooting S3 this month (woot!).

Krista: Thank you. :)

Susan: Yup, I'm all ready for the future now. LOL.

Sometimes . . . I do have a boxful from a single story I was working on once.

Denise: Objects can carry a lot of meaning!

Laughingwolf: Thanks. :)

That would be excellent. Medicine has definitely gotten better over the years, but there are plenty of limits on how far the human body can actually be changed with current technology. And mental health still seems to be a quagmire.

Stephen: I'm not sure I would believe it if I got a package in the mail that said it was from the future. :P

Thanks!

DWei: First a blog, then the world?

I wish I'd thought of putting in a winning lottery ticket number, though. LOL.

Donna: Most likely. Or on a folded 8.5x11" paper.

Annalisa: All fundamentals, right? :)

Nick: Thank you!

JeffO: I agree. I think the blogfest was built on the assumption there wouldn't be an implosion of spacetime if such a thing occurred, but I worried about that, too.

Rusty: Same here. I'd over-analyze everything until I'd gone crazy.

Yeah . . . once a box has been sent through, who knows what could follow!

Pat: You're welcome. And hey, a lottery ticket would be awesome.

Charles: Ah, good point. Receiving a note from the future would mean the recipient had gotten through another ten years.

D.G.: I'm glad you liked it!

Indeed it is.

Roland: My version of a lottery ticket, I guess. :P

Tara: True. Though they can be hard to find . . .

Thanks.

Sherry: So long as the universe didn't start acting funny because of it.

Mshatch: Thank you!

There seem to be several Sherlock fans here. :)

Tammy: Nope!

Trisha: LOL. I dunno what it was . . . the note's from the future, after all. ;)

Sylvia: I would be fine with either, though I'd probably be inclined toward a note.

Moffatt and Mark Gatiss and whoever else writes and produces and directs on that show!

Paul: Thank you! I'm glad it could make you laugh.

I'll leave Season 3 to the BBC team. But the Nobel Prize I'd attempt myself.

Michael: I noticed that on other blogs, too. A list of accomplishments but not the how; in writers' cases, the proof of publication but not the story!

Ciara said...

Send the time travel formula back, brilliant. :) Sorry I missed the blog hop on Friday, but I'm enjoying reading everyone's entry.

Mark Noce said...

Very cool idea:) I think if I had anything from a previous time capsule it'd have things like an old phone recorder or perhaps a VCR;)

The Golden Eagle said...

Ciara: Thanks. :)

Mark: Those would be neat to find in a time capsule. I'd be willing to bet DVDs and CDs will be like cassette tapes ten years from now . . .