12 March, 2013

Teaser Tuesday (111)

Teaser Tuesday is a weekly, bookish meme hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading. Though I sometimes miss the "weekly" part of the idea--I didn't post last week for TT. Sorry, everyone!

Rules for participating:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!


This week, my teaser is from A Matter of Degrees by Gino Segrè. It's a science book about temperature and its affect on a range of different scientific fields. I've only read the introduction so far, but it seems quite fascinating.

(This is not the cover of the library book I'm reading. But I could find no good quality images of the one that's red with black and white text.)

Early caves have chemical evidence of wood fires from at least 200,000 years ago, the period of the transition from Homo erectus to Homo sapiens. These caves are marked by the accumulation of ashes containing minerals characteristically absorbed by trees.
-p. 43


What are you reading right now? If you're between books, what are you planning to read next?


-----The Golden Eagle

17 comments:

Summer Ross said...

I take it this is nonfiction? Interesting to know some of it is absorbed by trees- That could make for some interesting Fiction. :) Thanks for sharing.

I'm currently reading 'Ever After' by Kim Harrison.

Elise Fallson said...

I bet that is going to be an interesting read. I'm between books right now, the last one I read was emotionally draining, so I'm looking for something light and funny off the wall. :D

JeffO said...

I'm reading On The Beach right now. Cheery stuff.

Old Kitty said...

Fascinating snippet! How were these fires started!?!? How interesting!

I'm actually finally and totally reading The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath!

Take care
x

Rusty Webb said...

Sound interesting, I'm finishing up the second in the Wheel of Time series of books... The Great Hunt, and I think my next read will be a non fiction book about the history of blood transfusions. It seems awesome to me.

Wendy aka Quillfeather said...

Reading Lord of The Rings at the moment. Then onto, Sylvestre - In Blood There is Truth.

Nick Wilford said...

I'm reading Terry Pratchett's Dodger (which is much better than his previous book, The Long Earth) and Lisa Regan's Finding Claire Fletcher, a first-rate thriller!

Pat Hatt said...

Sounds interesting indeed, inbetween at the moment, who knows what will pop up next.

mooderino said...

I'm reading Bleak House by Dickens. It may take me quite some time to finish.

....Petty Witter said...

Wow, you certainly read something interesting stuff.

Charles Gramlich said...

I just started a Hammer's Slammers book but I don't have it with me at work

Damyanti said...

I'm reading The Sense of an ending -- slow, but beautiful, going so far.

DWei said...

Want an excerpt from one of my sociology papers or my linguistics's textbook?

No?

Didn't think so. :P

Christine Rains said...

How fascinating. You always post the most interesting books. I've been watching a lot of Science Channel lately. I think my brain is in need of a book like that.

The Golden Eagle said...

Summer: Yup, non-fiction. :)

You're welcome!

Elise: I usually feel like reading something funny after a particularly serious book, too.

JeffO: I take it that's sarcasm there . . . LOL.

Old Kitty: I've never read anything by Sylvia Plath. What do you think of her book?

Rusty: That's an interesting concept for a book. Didn't a lot of people die from early blood transfusions because doctors didn't understand ABO blood types?

Wendy: LOTR--there's a classic book/series.

Nick: I have got to read that book sometime.

Pat: I love unexpected reads. Those can be fun.

Mooderino: Interesting! Why "quite some time"? Is it long?

Petty Witter: Thanks. :)

Charles: Hammer's Slammers--sounds like there's a lot of action.

Damyanti: It sounds like a sad story!

DWei: Hey, I wouldn't mind an except from either of those. I like textbooks. :P

Christine: Glad you like the books I post about--maybe you'd enjoy A Matter of Degrees!

Paul Tobin said...

Human history is truly fascinating and amazing to think of how long amo our ancestors were using fire. Sounds liken interesting book. I've just finished Ross macDonald's The Galton Case, a detective story published in 1950.

Rusty Webb said...

Golden - to answer your question... Yes, yes they did. But there were a lot of bizarre notions regarding blood (and still are). Fascinating read.