13 March, 2013

The National Wormhole Day Blog Hop

The National Wormhole Day Blog Hop is hosted by Stephen Tremp, Laura Eno, and L.G. Smith. Like the recent Back to the Future blogfest, it's based on time travel--though this time it's a person traveling through time, not a shoe box! It sounded like fun, so I signed up.

About the blogfest (from Stephen's blog):
What would you do or where would you go if you could traverse a wormhole through space or time just once? One safe round trip passage. Would you go back in time and talk some sense into a younger you? Go five years into the future and bring back the Wall Street Journal? See just how the heck the Great Pyramids of Giza were really built? View what the other side of the universe looks like? Kill Hitler?


I love speculating about the future; I am a huge fan of stories that cast human society forward hundreds or thousands of years. Therefore, I'd choose traveling through time to year 3001, just to see what it looks like--because while 2001 didn't turn out to be the milestone predicted I'm sure 3001 will be entirely different from today, either for better or for worse. Hopefully the better.

And (since this is for fun and I don't want to think about all the possible breakdowns of spacetime if time travel occurred) I'm pretty sure I'd try sticking around in the future for a while before cashing in on the second part of the "safe round trip". You know, move into a space colony, experience all the cool technology, eat amazing food, be amused by the historians who think Windows was the pinnacle of engineering a millennium before. The usual things one would do a thousand years after they were born.

What would you do if you ended up in the future? Where would you go if you could travel through time?


-----The Golden Eagle

30 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Stay and soak in the culture - good idea!

Old Kitty said...

I totally would choose to time travel into the future but not too far - just enough to see how I'd turn out! LOL!!! But I would also like to see me some dinosaurs - so I'd not be averse to travelling way back to that time!

Take care
x

Andrew Leon said...

I couldn't think of the ONE place I'd go if I had to choose...

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Ah, but after you've lived in 3001 for a while, would you want to come back to this "archaic" time again?

L.G. Smith said...

I think it would take real bravery to jump ahead to the future, to the unknown. But if technology and innovation keeps moving in leaps and bounds, who knows what cool stuff they might have. I love thinking about that kind of thing too. So many possibilities. And aren't we lucky as writers that we can shape those musings into stories and sort of live them. :)

L.G. Keltner said...

Great choice! I definitely wish I could take a peek at the future!

D.G. Hudson said...

I'd be there in that same time frame, but on Literati World! We would have given mankind plenty of time to fix its ills.

I like the idea of joining a colony too. It's good to dream big.

M. J. Joachim said...

That's pretty far into the future, and it sounds like you're saying, "The more things change, the more they stay the same." Not sure I'd want to find out how much they changed though...

Pat Hatt said...

Be fun to go that far ahead and find everything out. But what happens if you went there and in 3000 the earth exploded, would you suffocate or something?

ckpoisonedrose said...

Love this! Have fun in the future and make sure to bring back a post card (if they still have those). :)

Paul Tobin said...

I always worry when presented with this dream that the people in the future. Would be incomprehensible to me, not the language. I am sure they. Would have machines to sort out that sort of stuff but how they see the world. Or how's see the world will be so weirdto them that motivation will be not be understandable, or the technology will have enabled them to have such a different take on life. I suppose it's that worry that we cannot communicate, as Sarte said nothing of true worth can be communicated.

Rusty Webb said...

If I ended up in the future I'd probably complain a lot about how easy it is for people then... although I'd secretly just be happy if it isn't some dystopian nightmare.

michelle said...

I chose to go back in time! For some reason, it seems less scary!

Nicki Elson said...

Hehe, yeah "the usual things one would do." Very adventurous of you to stick around and see what you could see.

Trisha F said...

I so hope it's for the better, and yet the jealous petty party of me hopes it's not better because I will miss out on all the better-ness. hehe

nutschell said...

I wonder what kind of awesome technology we'd have in the future!
Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

Jemi Fraser said...

I'd love to stick around in 3001 with you for a bit - I'm hoping humanity has their act together by then and all kids are able to grow up safe and happy :)

Jeff Hargett said...

If I went to the year 3001, I'd finally BE as old as I often FEEL!! LOL

Mark Noce said...

Sounds like a great destination...but will they even speak English then? ;)

M Pax said...

It would be fun to take a peek at the future.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I'm with you, taking in that future world and seeing what's out there.

Sandra Almazan said...

I wonder what the people of 3001 would value from our era? Would an iPad be a valuable antique? Would they still have paper books?

Stephen Tremp said...

I agree about sticking around for a while. My concern is that a society from the future would want to burn me at the stake bevlcause they do not understand. Much like past societies. I think some things will nevertheless change.

Mark Means said...

If I ever to to 'the future', I'd mainly just try to see if I could recognize where other things (fads, policies, etc.) came from.

I'm guessing it might not be that much different than things today.

Lynn(e) Schmidt said...

I like the people who want to move forward. Even to space. It's amazing seeing the different answers in this hop.

Jay Noel said...

I'm not so sure about the amazing food, however. I'm thinking everything will just be similar to SPAM!

EvalinaMaria said...

Sounds like an awesome journey!

Medeia Sharif said...

I'm curious about 3001. Hopefully, it's not as bleak as all the fiction these days make it out to be.

Searching for the Story said...

I think late antiquity followed by 1970s America would be my destinations--and of course, a century into the future!

Krispy said...

While I love studying the past and looking at the past, I think I'd choose the future too because of the possibilities. I would love to see how things change.