29 August, 2010

Books, I Tell You

Hello everyone. I had an really, really good time at the library yesterday and found a lot of books that look EXCELLENT.

Not all expeditions to the library are this successful. :) You're probably wondering what's making me so enthusiastic, so here's a list:

Foundation, Foundation and Empire, and Second Foundation by Isaac Asimov. (Don't ask me why there are so many books beyond the original trilogy. There's the Foundation Series and I read on Wikipedia that other people wrote six other books continuing it. I think I took out the right ones for the trilogy, though.)

Nightfall by Isaac Asimov and Robert Silverberg. (It was nearby! I can't resist a good-looking book if it's nearby another good book. If that makes any sense . . . anyway, position on the shelf can play a part in what novels I take out.)

Stranger in a Strange Land and The Cat Who Walks Through Walls by Robert A. Heinlein. (More SF. Hey, I write it, so why not read it? It's sort of disappointing, but all of the SF books I took out of the library are from the Adult section. Not YA and not MG. I think I've only take out 1 YA SF book in my entire library history. And the two MG novels weren't books--they were anthologies, and more Fantasy at that. Also, I think with the sort of content that's in them they should have been in Adult. DOES NO ONE WRITE YA SCIENCE FICTION 'ROUND HERE?)

The Hitchhiker's Quartet by Douglas Adams. (They didn't have the books separate, so I had to take the whole enchilada. But I don't think that's a bad thing. It is, however, 600+ pages long. And kinda sorta falling apart.)

White Cat by Holly Black. (Love. Dat. Cover. Although, why is her name like HOLLY BLACK when White Cat is like White Cat? Too much text and not enough cover. But despite that--conmen! And cats. And the fact I've only read her short stories and never an actual book. I never touched the Spiderwick Chronicles; I think I thought it was part of The Edge Chronicles which it is NOT.)

The Reformed Vampire Support Group by Catherine Jinks. (I really like her work, especially the science fiction and Evil Genius series. And hey, a new spin on vampires that's totally different from The Twilight Saga? I'm there.)

A Conspiracy of Kings by Megan Whalen Turner. (I see this book EVERYWHERE. And I want to read it! I want to see if Eugenides really did deserve that triumph over Howl in the YA Fantasy Showdown. Oh, I know this is part of a series . . . but I've jumped into series' before. Then again, if I'm making some grave mistake, do tell me! I'll resist the temptation.)

The Rise of Renegade X by Chelsea Campbell. (Yes, yes, superheroes and bad guys. But sometimes playing on stereotypes can have its advantages--I want to see what she does with it. Also, an evil genius? Wonderful.)

Paper Daughter by Jeanette Ingold. (Interesting summary, and I love that cover! And it even has an ASIAN ON IT. I am aware that some people don't like this--but at least this library doesn't seem to discriminate. Actually, they've got pretty much everything--books on LGBT, race, etc. Thank goodness for that.)

Pastworld by Ian Beck. (Interesting cover/summary. Plus, I remember reading a few positive reviews.)

Bones of Faerie by Janni Lee Simmer. (I recognize the cover, but not the author.)

She Thief by Daniel Finn. (Dark, rough cover and the summary sounded intriguing. I'd never heard of this book before, and that was another draw. I like books that I haven't heard of before.)

Doppelganger by David Stahler. (Doppelganger says it all, I believe. It's MC is one. I haven't read that much about the Doppelganger, so I figured it would be a good idea to take it out.)

The Humming of Numbers by Joni Sensel. (I thought that idea of numbers humming was great. The cover's all right, but not terrific, so I wouldn't have picked it up if it hadn't been on the "NEW BOOKS" stand. There was another Heir book by Cinda Williams Chima on that NEW BOOKS stand, but I bypassed that. The Warrior Heir was just too flat.)

That is all I got at the library. Now the question is: Where the heck do I start?! And yes, I realize that there are 17 of them.

Well, I suppose I should get going and tell you which ones to read in reviews. I haven't reviewed a book in 8 days! I'm slipping.

-----The Golden Eagle

14 comments:

The Words Crafter said...

I've read a few Holly Black books and want to get this one (loved the Spiderwick series, btw). I'm also wanting to get some Asimov and Heinlein-still haven't read ANY of those. No time.....have fun reading and looking forward to the reviews!

The Golden Eagle said...

I will. :)

Accipiter nisus said...

Hi, if I understand it well you will read all these books you take from he library!!
About the Spiderwick series I've seen them here in some library but the book that rages over is "The name of the wind" written by Patrick Rothfuss. ¿Have you ever heard of him?

The Golden Eagle said...

No, I haven't heard of him before. I'll check it out! :)

Caroline said...

Wow sounds like you had a field day at the library! I love days like that. I just got out about ten history type books from the library, trying to find inspiration for Nanowrimo:).

Resist the temptation! Resist it!! You probably should read the rest of the Queen's Thief series before A Conspiracy of Kings--starting with The Thief, The Queen of Attolia, and the King of Attolia. The beginning of the Thief is sooooo slow, but halfway through you won't be able to put it down:). I didn't like the second but loved the third. I can't wait to see what you think of them!!:D

The Golden Eagle said...

Okay. I'll resist the temptation to read A Conspiracy of Kings--thanks for the warning! :D

Kelsey said...

Wow, what a haul from the library! Happy Reading!!

The Golden Eagle said...

Thanks! :)

John The Bookworm said...

Some interesting snags! I've only read the first Hitchhikers book, but it made me laugh so hard! You'll love the series.

I'd say read the whole Thief series. It sounds really political, and I usually find that a series like that works best when you read it in order. My library has the first three books, and I'm going to read them and try and see what all the hype is about!

White Cat was good. You'll like it. And now that you mention the Edge Chronicles - OMG I LOVED THOSE BOOKS. Janni Simner is a good fantasy author. She has her faults but writes some interesting stuff. Bones of Faerie is a dystopian/faerie story I think.

Happy reading!

Memzie said...

Sounds like a lot of interesting books! Can't wait to hear your opinion on them.

Icewolf said...

Shanzzle berries. 17 BOOKS?! That's outrageous.

Shaynie said...

Ooh, looks like you had a great library day! Those are always fun!

Peaceful Reader said...

I've never checked out 17 serious chapter books from the library, ever. I have checked out 17 picture books but that's a different matter. I've read Heinlein, Holly Black (but not White Cat) and the first Hitchhiker's Guide. I hope you enjoy them all...happy reading!

The Golden Eagle said...

John the Bookworm: I have to start reading the Hitchhiker's book. I love books that are funny. :)

I don't know if my library has The Thief series (the first books) but I'll check. It does appear to be political, and I think I'll wait on it.

I read a few Edge Chronicle books, but I never got around to reading beyond Book 4. I think he got stuck in the Mother Storm (or whatever it's called) and it was about to hit that floating city. Or something. :P

Memzie: I'll be reviewing them, that's for certain. Maybe not all . . . but certainly the really good ones. :)

Icewolf: I love taking out a lot of books! I do it every time, and I get REALLY disappointed if I can't find more than, say, three.

Shaynie: Definitely!

Peaceful Reader: I think I've taken out up to 30 at times . . . crazy, I know, but around here I get to take them out for up to 6 weeks.