17 July, 2011

Book Review: Ladies and Gentlemen...The Redeemers


Title: Ladies and Gentlemen...The Redeemers
Author: Michael Scott Miller
Self-published
Genre: Realistic/Contemporary Fiction
Page Count: 268
Rating: 4 out of 5
Cover Rating: 4 out of 5. I like it--the title is easy enough to read, and the scene matches the story.

Synopsis:
Ladies and Gentlemen…The Redeemers tells the story of Bert Ingram, once a successful rep in the music industry, who has lost his way. Desperate for redemption, the perpetual dreamer decides to put together a band, recruiting musicians who have only one thing in common:  the need to overcome a significant obstacle in their lives. The volatile mix of the musicians' personalities and backgrounds threatens to derail the band at every opportunity, but in time, the Redeemers begin to realize they have more to gain from one another than they ever could have imagined.
My expectations: I really wasn't sure what to expect. I discovered the author through reading a guest post on another blog, and hadn't heard of the book before. The synopsis on the site intrigued me, though.

I am happy to say my expectations were exceeded.

About the book: I've never read a book on a band before, I have to say. But as far as fiction goes, I enjoyed this story. There was a diverse cast of characters and a good plot--watching the band evolve as the members bounced off one another and tried to overcome the obstacles on their way to fame certainly held my attention while I read.

  • Writing: 
At times I felt like there could have been a little more description of what was happening, or of the character's emotions, but the writing style is to the point and brought the story along well.

  • Plot:
It was interesting to see the band musicians come together as Bert Ingram searched and hunted for the right people, traveling around San Francisco alone or with help from others. There was an unexpected twist at the end, too--throughout, the story kept moving, with good pacing.

  • Characters:
Bert Ingram is not the kind of character I'd normally bond with, but he did have a distinctive personality. He kept on working toward his goal even when things seemed like they were about--or had already--fallen apart; I had to cheer for him when he kept on.

Dave Hollaway was probably one of my favorite characters out of the band. He was one of the more easygoing members, reasonable, who kept his head and didn't let the circumstances faze him quite as much as some of the other characters.

The other five members of the band, Charlie, Abe, Ethan, Bongo Joe (whose actual name is Aaron) and Gene, made for an interesting group. Charlie's a former cardplayer, Abe has been singing in the subway, Ethan is a college student, Aaron a former college student who was asked to leave because he didn't practice, and Gene retired--not a combination that would normally come together.


  • Setting/Elements:

One thing I liked was the structure of the book; the way the characters' histories were put in separate chapters, before the characters themselves finally met each other.

Other: Some language, references.

Do I recommend this book? If you have an interest in music-related stories, then yes. Ladies and Gentlemen...The Redeemers is a great book based on a band and how they come together.

Note: A copy of this book was provided by the author for me to review. It did not in any way affect the contents of this review.

*********

This book is available for $0.99 for Kindle, Nook, or Kobo, and $7.95 in paperback. Purchase links:

Amazon Kindle or paperback: http://tinyurl.com/4zpmzhk
Nook: http://tinyurl.com/3md2zcc
-----The Golden Eagle

17 comments:

Sarah Pearson said...

I've watched plenty of films about bands, but I'm not sure I've ever read a book about one. Oh wait, I vaguely remember something about vampires and a band (I wish I could remember what that was), but that's it. So this would be something new.

Elizabeth Varadan aka Mrs. Seraphina said...

Sounds like an interesting book. I haven't read any novels about bands before. Is this a YA, or a book for adults?

The Golden Eagle said...

Sarah: I've never watched a movie about a band, actually.

Vampires? Onstage? Why does that scare me? :P

Elizabeth: Adult. Although (obviously enough, since I am one) I could see a teen reading it. :)

Old Kitty said...

Oooh did they say what type of music they played? Just wondered!!!

Great review - I like that the name of the book/band is the central theme of the story. Very good!! Take care
x

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Now that one sounds intersting!

Len Lambert said...

Interesting, Eagle! Thanks for a great review.

li said...

A very clear and comprehensive review! Not for me, but I think it might make a great gift for a friend of mine :)

Jennifer Hillier said...

I have to echo those who've said they've never read a book about musicians. Me, neither. But I do love movies that are about bands (last good one I saw was The Runaways). Mind you, actually getting to hear the music is what makes it for me.

Good review! I'd be curious to see if I would get a feel for the music just by reading the book.

Misha said...

It has an interesting premise! I love books that involve music. Thanks for the review!

Arlee Bird said...

This sounds like my kind of story. Excellent review.


Lee
Tossing It Out

Laila Knight said...

Musicians coming together? Definitely not my type of book. I'm not saying that it's bad, but I'd probably toss it on the shelf after the first two chapters. I like to spin away from reality when I read. Thanks for the peek. :)

Milo James Fowler said...

An intriguing premise, mos def. I've been reading a couple of self-published books myself lately: Aaron Polson's We Are The Monsters and Court Ellyn's Mists of Blackfen Bog -- both I can highly recommend.

Summer Ross said...

Stopping by from the inspiration blogfest. I'll check back later. :)

M Pax said...

Sounds like a good read. I'll add it to my list.

ali said...

Great review! I hadn't heard of this book before, either - so I'm grateful for the review!

The Golden Eagle said...

Old Kitty: They call it street thump--but the singer in the group starts out with Motown music, and Otis Redding is mentioned later on, just to give you some examples. :)

Thank you!

Alex: It's a good book!

Len: You're very welcome. :)

Li: Thanks!

Jennifer: I agree--band history is interesting, but it's really the music that does it, isn't it?

Thanks!

Misha: Me, too. Though I've never read a book about a band, specifically.

You're welcome!

Lee: I hope you enjoy it if you ever get the change to read it. :)

Thank you!

Laila: We all have our tastes. :) Spinning away from reality can be fun--but I like a little down-to-earth stuff now and then.

You're welcome!

Milo: The titles are intriguing--thanks for the recommendations. :)

Summer: My post is up! Thanks for the reminder; I almost forgot about it until I visited this thread.

M: It's worth the read!

Ali: Thanks!

I hope you enjoy the book, if you read it. :)

Michael Scott Miller, author said...

Hi everyone! I thought I’d let you know that the book is available for just $0.99 for the Kindle, Nook, or Kobo reader, or for $7.95 in paperback. Here are the links if you are interested:

Amazon (Kindle or paperback): http://tinyurl.com/4zpmzhk

Nook: http://tinyurl.com/3md2zcc

Kobo: http://tinyurl.com/3djcz45

If you read the book, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!