01 August, 2011

Novel Films Blogfest

The Novel Films Blogfest is hosted by Madeleine at Scribble and Edit.


The objective?

How many works of fiction have you seen BOTH the film/TV drama and read the original book, play or comic story?

I love getting the chance to talk about books and movies. So, here I go, in the random order I remembered them:

City of Ember
Not crazy about this one, mainly because the person they had playing one of the MCs looked twenty, and I believe he's twelve in the book. But otherwise, it did stick to the plot.

Inkheart
Changed some things around here, but good overall. They did change around the ending, so it was more like a standalone than part of a series.

A Series of Unfortunate Events
I love this one. It mixed up, combined, and generally chopped up the first three books in the series, but it's funny and stays true to the humorous/weird/mysterious air of the books.

I, Robot
AHEM. That is not Susan Calvin. And who is this detective guy? He doesn't even exist in the original book. In addition, the logic they base the story on is faulty. For example, why on Earth would a robot lean out of a line of identical robots? They're robots. They don't need to see with physical eyes. Unless they're still in the beginning age of robotics, and it certainly didn't seem like it. End rant.

The Rats of NIMH
Another (IMO) flop. They changed the plot--and they changed the message of the story. There's all this magic and fantasy hanging around the science to the point where they practically changed the whole genre. And the characters . . . ack.

Anne Frank
Actually, I only saw part of the PBS Masterpiece show. I turned off the TV when they got to the tooth-pulling part. Also, I don't really like Anne Frank.

Harry Potter
I haven't seen the last one . . . but, overall, I love these movies. My favorites? The Prisoner of Azkaban and The Chamber of Secrets. Go, HP!

The Da Vinci Code
Meh. It wasn't bad, just not my thing. I was more interested to see if/how they changed the book.

Howl's Moving Castle
Hooray for Hayao Miyazaki. I love his movies.

The Lord of the Rings
Great movies.

The Hobbit
The animated one. It wasn't great; I think I've only watched it once . . . I am looking forward to the one coming out in 2012.

Kiki's Delivery Service
I love watching this one. Again, Hayao Miyazaki, and again, it's excellent.

Mary Poppins
Yes, I've read the books. I like the movie better than the books, too. :P

The Chronicles of Narnia
The BBC version, and the ones by Disney, except for The Dawn Treader. Which I want to see.

The Polar Express
They really extended this one. I like watching it once a year, around Christmastime.

The Kite Runner
Got to this one last Saturday, actually. They did a very good job. It lives up to the book.

Twilight and New Moon
Ah yes . . . notice I gave up on New Moon.

Charlie Brown
Does this count? I've read the comics, and we have the holiday videos.

2001: A Space Odyssey
Man, this one is long. But worth it.

The Wizard of Oz
I never particularly liked The Wizard of Oz. It always kind of disturbed me.


Macbeth
BBC Shakespeare; I've watched several others in the series, but not read the plays.

. . . and I'm pretty sure there are more than that, but I can't think of other titles.


***Edit! Reading other peoples' lists made me remember these:***

Eragon
A good movie--though not the best they could have done. (Small, but irritating point: why weren't Arya's ears pointed?)

Charlotte's Web
This was THE first actual book I read. As in, no illustrations, long chapters, and many pages. A jump from the Dr. Seuss I had been reading before. :P

The Secret Garden
Movie is better than the book. I love the movie.

The Golden Compass
They watered down the movie, compared to the book. It was an okay movie . . . but I ended up feeling frustrated. It was like they tried to avoid following the more controversial aspects to the book and ended up with something that was even less satisfying.


*********

What about you? What films based on books have you seen that you loved (or hated)?


-----The Golden Eagle

39 comments:

cherie said...

I love Miyazaki's films. Howl's Moving Castle: both the book and the movie are FAB, even though the movie has different stuff in it. Still, it's very well done and entertaining. Kiki's Delivery Service is just adorable.

HP movies are the best (inmho) adaptations of book-to-film.

I loved Lemony Snicket's A series of Unfortunate Events. I thought the kid actors in the movie were superb. Jim Carrey does a great job, too.

Shelly said...

It would take me all week to put the list together.

David Powers King said...

Now that's a lot of movies! I think I've seen most of them myself at one point in time or another. Interesting blogfest! I should check out the details.

RaShelle said...

I've seen a lot the same one's as you and feel a lot the same way. Love Charlie Brown (they totally count) and love The Polar Express. In Heber, Utah, they do a polar express during the holidays. You ride a train in the evening, read the books, sing christmas carols and drink hot chocolate. It's a blast.

Angelina C. Hansen said...

Charlotte's Web
Watership Down
All of Jane Austen's
Many of Shakespeare's

And yes, the Wizard Of Oz still makes me shudder.

Francine Howarth said...

Hi,

Green with envy: you posted a whole load I missed listing! Mine too long as it is. But, at my age I'm clocking a lot of books and movies. ;)

best
F

Marlena Cassidy said...

Oh jeez. Hmm...Ella Enchanted. As much as I love Anne Hathaway, that movie was horrible. The book is and always will be one of my favorites. What else...Shutter Island was a good book and the movie was okay, even with the slightly altered ending.

Pk Hrezo said...

Argh!~ I totally forgot about Kite Runner! I adored that book and of course the film was lacking, but still loved it anyway.
Such a great list here. I've always wanted to read Rats of NIMH. It's been one of my fave movies forever.

Tony Benson said...

Great list, and you've reminded me of I Robot (I keep wanting to call it I Robert). I'd forgotten that.

L.G.Smith said...

I almost included Polar Express too. And The Grinch Who Stole Christmas. Charlotte's Web is one I should have remembered. Darn.

Good picks.

Laila Knight said...

I watched all of these except for three...and loved them. I thought of going through a long list but instead focused on a couple of oldies today. Good of you to mention Shakespeare! :)

Old Kitty said...

Wow - fab list!!! I do see your I, Robot point. And on that note, I say, my one would be I Am Legend. Now I loved loved loved the book - fantastic and creepy and sad, sad,sad. I was prepared to detest the film (after I, Robot too!!). Oh but the first hour or so of the film was just heartbreaking! That scene with Will Smith begging for the mannequin to talk to him because he is just so lonely.. and the death of his dog.. oh my stars! Then the last 45 minutes gets ruined, completely. Bleagh! Which was such a shame because I thought the first three quarters of the film captured Robert Neville's profound isolation so well then goes and ruins it!

LOL! take care
x

M Pax said...

Oh, I loved the Secret Garden. Great book, and the movie was fantastic, too.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Would it surprise you to know I really like the movie version of The Secret Garden?

L. Diane Wolfe said...

When I was a kid, I loved the animated Hobbit. Looking back now... not very good! But it still brings up wonderful childhood memories.

Tonja said...

I seem remember The Hobbit cartoon. I loved the book - I wish they would get on with the movie.

kelworthfiles said...

My favorite movie based off a book would have to be the Princess Bride. Thanks for joining in the Blogfest!

If you get a chance, check out a fellow writer's zombie story and help me make him wear an embarrassing shirt next year! It's the ultimate grudge match between social media and the zombies. Details are here:
http://kelworthfiles.wordpress.com/2011/07/19/prove-the-zombies-wrong-social-platforms-can-build-readership/

Christine Rains said...

I'm a big fan of the Harry Potter books and films too. I love Howl's Moving Castle, but I haven't read the book.

Jennifer Hillier said...

Great list! I'll be posting mine tomorrow.

I liked DaVinci Code (the book - it taught me a thing or two about pacing), but was underwhelmed by the movie, which I thought kind of plodding in parts.

Heather said...

This is a fun blogfest! And wow, that is some list! I couldn't agree more about the Wizard of Oz being disturbing, so glad to hear I'm not the only one who feels that way!

Jules said...

Okay I take offense to the Wizard of Oz weird-ing you out. (LOL) Is the Rats of NIMH the same as the Secret of NIMH?
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Charles Gramlich said...

Wish I had more time. I like this kind of thing and have seen quite a few. almost always I like the books better.

Chantele Sedgwick said...

Lord of the Rings is so freaking awesome. Love it. Um ... The Hobbit freaked me out as a kid. The Wizard of Oz creeped me out as well.
I have a hard time with books being turned into movies. They just aren't the same. You know?
Great list by the way. :)

Madeleine said...

Oh Anne Frank yes that should be on my list too. Great list. Lots that aren't on mine. Some I've read but not seen like 2001: Space Odyssey and a few I've seen but not read. Your I,Robot rant made me chuckle. Thanks for joining in :O)

Lisa Potts said...

I now have to see The Secret Garden, although I loved the book.

The Prisoner Of Azkaban is my fav HP movie too.

Misha said...

I HATED the Harry Potter movies. So much so that I stuck with it on four and stopped. Because it just annoyed me. :-/

Jen Chandler said...

Great list! I've seen a lot of those on your list. The Miyazaki films are great; I haven't read the books that go along with them, but I'll look them up!

A Series of Unfortunate Events was wonderful (and, for shame, I haven't read those yet either!). LOVE Harry Potter. They did an excellent job adapting them. I have my rants, who doesn't, but all in all, great films!

~Jen

Rachna Chhabria said...

Thats a lot of movies. I have only seen the HP movies and read the books. As for the others only read the books, and not seen the movies.

Ellie Garratt said...

I'm totally with you on giving up after New Moon, and I have a phobia of the Oz film. Hate it!

Ellie Garratt

The Golden Eagle said...

Cherie: They kinda changed the basic premise, didn't they? It was less about the deal between Calcifer and Howl, and more about Howl and Sof(ph?)ie.

I agree. :)

I love the actors in A Series of Unfortunate Events!

Shelly: LOL. That sounds like a whole lot of movies. :D

David: Actually, I would have thought I'd be able to think of more . . . but the titles escaped me. :P

RaShelle: Really? Ooh, that sounds like fun! :)

Angelina: I've never seen any of the movies they made of Jane Austen's novels; though I might just try Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. :P

Francine: You've seen a lot of books/movies, then! Your list really is long. :D

Marlena: I wasn't a particular fan of the book, and I've just seen parts of the movie; it's not really the kind of movie I usually watch.

I've never read/watched Shutter Island.

Pk: The Kite Runner is good, isn't it? :)

The Rats of NIMH movie didn't agree with me--they really changed things around. :P

Tony: Thanks!

LOL. They may as well have called it that, they strayed so far from the book.

L.G.: I've never seen The Grinch Who Stole Christmas--is it good?

Thanks!

Laila: I've been watching them recently for school; we're going over British literature. :)

Old Kitty: I've never read I Am Legend--it sounds like a great book, though! I'll have to check it out. :D

It's so disappointing when that happens, isn't it?

M: I love the movie. :)

Alex: A bit, I suppose. LOL.

The Golden Eagle said...

L. Diane: I never really liked it . . . for some reason. :P

Tonja: Me, too! I should re-read the book; I think I only read it once, though I enjoyed the story.

Chris: I want to see that movie!

LOL. I'll be sure to check that out. :D

Christine: You should read it--it's an excellent story. :)

Jennifer: Thanks!

It wasn't the best . . . but hey, they could have done a worse job.

Heather: It's an interesting story in its own right, but I always found something odd about it. :P

Jules: Sorry! But I just couldn't get attached to the story. Maybe if I reread the book again.

Yup . . . they even changed the title. *sigh*

Charles: Well, the blogfest does continue 'til August 3rd!

Sometimes I like the movies and the books equally--it's not often I like the movie more, though it does happen.

Chantele: Absolutely!

No, they aren't. It's an entirely different medium.

Thank you! :)

Madeleine: I never liked Anne Frank; her personality never appealed to me.

LOL. Glad you found it funny. :)

Thank you for hosting!

Lisa: It's a great movie--I always thought it was better than the book, actually.

Hooray!

Misha: Aww, that's too bad. :( I love the HP movies; even though some of them are definitely not as good as others.

Jen: Thanks!

They're worth the read; especially Howl's Moving Castle. I LOVE that book.

LOL. Lemony Snicket did an excellent job with A Series of Unfortunate Events. But be warned, he does a lot of things that are . . . infuriating. In a good way.

Me, too. :P

Rachna: You should watch the movies; some of them are quite good!

Ellie: If I watch Breaking Dawn, it's only to see how they pull off Reneesme. :P

Rachel Morgan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel Morgan said...

Haha! I'm looking at so many blogfest posts at the same time that I just wrote a comment here that was for someone else's blog!

Anyway... I was so unimpressed with the Eragon movie that I stopped watching a few minutes after I heard Saphira's voice (for some reason it just did NOT fit for me). I guess I can't include it on my list then!

ali said...

You are amazing Eags! I've seen all of those movies, but I have NOT read all of the books!

Donea Lee said...

As I'm reading these - I forgot about SOO many!! Darnit. Inkheart, I agree - not a bad movie, loved the books more. Still - I would have liked to see future film adaptations. I felt the same way about Percy Jackson.

The Da Vinci code movie just didn't seem to capture the immediacy/urgency of the book...

LOVE The Secret Garden movie, too! And Lotr, and Harry Potter, of course!

Arlee Bird said...

I've read and scene both versions of DaVinci Code (I felt about the same as you on this one), 2001 (it's been so long since I've read the book I don't really recall it), and Macbeth (don't remember the film versions I've seen but I'm sure they were decent).

Seen the film versions of about half of the films you mentioned and there are some good ones on your list.


Lee
Tossing It Out

Marsha Sigman said...

Great list!!! I didn't list all the fairytales...but there are some I loved so much!

T C Mckee said...

Ack, I forgot about The Secret Garden. Awesome list.

The Golden Eagle said...

Rachel: LOL. I think I've done that a few times!

I didn't think it was completely awful . . . but it wasn't the best. :P

Ali: You should read the books! :)

Donea: I forgot a bunch the first time around, too. Then I starting stealing from other people's lists--er, changing my own. ;)

Not as well, no.

They're winners!

Arlee: It's a good book, 2001. So are the others in the series (though I still like the first one the best).

Marsha: Thanks! :)

I haven't read that many fairy tales . . . so they didn't make it. :P

T. C.: Thank you!