27 February, 2012

Blogoversary Celebration + The Evil Genius Blogfest

The Eagle's Aerial Perspective turns two years old today!


Wow. I wasn't sure I'd even be sticking it out beyond just starting a blog back in 2010, since I'd lurked in the blogosphere for a month or two and noticed bloggers appear and disappear within that time frame. But I did, and I'm glad of that; I've learned a lot from the experience and I got to know all of you amazing people.

Reading last year's recap post, I have to say that 2011 feels like it was busier.

There was the A-Z Challenge, the Harry Potter Blogfest, the Inanimation Blogfest, the It's All Fun and Games Blogfest, the Blogfest Interrupted, the Inspiration Blogfest, the Novel Films Blogfest, Terry Pratchett Month, the Worst Movies Ever Blogfest, the What I Did On My Summer Vacation Blogfest, the REN3 Blogfest, the Pay It Forward Blogfest, the Cool As Cucumber Blogfest, the Deja Vu Blogfest, the Origins Blogfest, the Third and Fourth Platform-Building Campaigns, Teaser Tuesday, and various writing, review, and guest posts. In addition to a few guest posts that I wrote and interviews of me.

Stat-wise, this blog reached 67,400 pageviews, 12,800 comments (not counting over 600 spam :P), and almost 650 published posts.

And since that takes visitors and readers, here's a big THANK YOU to you all. You make this blog more than just any other site among billions.

**********

Because of this date, I am hosting The Evil Genius Blogfest. Here's the information:


The Who:
You, of course. With the evil genius of your choice.

The What:
Create a story, in any format whether that's flash fiction or poetry, where the aforementioned character does something qualifying them as an evil genius. You can also choose an already-existing person, perhaps from one of your favorite books or movies--just tell us why you think they're the best.

Interpret the phrase "evil genius" any way you like: For the evil, it can be a truly sinister murder or a humorous prank; a teen hacking into high-level security or a plot to foil someone's trip to the mall. And the genius? Also up to you. Just make sure there's something that makes your entry sparkle. Or skulk through the dark, as it may be.

Non-fiction what you'd like to do instead? No problem. Feel free to write a post about an evil genius from history or the present.

Word limit for entries: 400. You may go over that number--but be aware, people are less likely to read your entire post if it is long.

The Where:
Your blog/website.

The When:
February 27.

The Why:
Because The Eagle's Aerial Perspective is turning 2 years old on February 27, and that calls for celebration. Furthermore, the blog's mastermind has had this idea simmering in the back of her mind for months (part of her plot for complete web domination, you know) and she thought it was about time she took the leap and hosted her own blogfest.

And why should you sign up? Well . . . three winners will be announced on March 9th; two shall be chosen by Random.org and one by popular vote, and those entrants will win something of their choice. Nothing monetary (since this evil genius is among the rest of them: experiencing recession) but the other options are many: guest post or interview on The Eagle's Aerial Perspective (written a book? Free advertising), some graphic design (examples can be procured), an edit/critique, and even some HTML/CSS coding (for websites and so forth). Other things within her (er, limited) domain of knowledge may be negotiated. Nothing so terribly exciting as, say, free books, unfortunately.




VOTING IS NOW OPEN. Go HERE to cast your vote for your favorite entry.

**********

And here is my entry. I decided to go the fiction route (though do note that you can write your post on any evil genius, whether that's fictional or real):


   She was dressed all in black, even her hands covered in smooth, tight gloves.
   “Commander.” The man dropped to one knee in front of her, his head bowed and his weapon pressing into his stomach.
   “You have the coordinates?” she asked. She walked toward him, her boots striking against the marble floor.
   “Yes, Commander.”
   “Show me.”
   He pulled a small computer from his pocket and handed it to her.
   “How easily destructible it looks.”
   “It would have been impossible to find without your technology, Commander.”
   “Of course it would have been,” she replied, handing the device back to him. “Everything—everything—this army depends on was created by me. The enemy has nothing against us. Their scientists? Fools and simpletons, incapable of everything except the wheel, and lopsided ones at that.”
   “Of course, Commander.”
   “How many soldiers do you have at Station 3?”
   “6,000.”
   “No more?”
   The man hesitated. “One of the ships was attacked by the enemy. My regiment tried to fend them off—”
   “Do you mean you merely tried to deflect them, Captain?”
   It was impossible to tell if he resented the address, directed as if he’d been in charge when the attack occurred. He only lowered his eyes and said, “Yes, Commander—“
   She turned her back on him before he could finish and walked toward the throne. “How many times do I have to tell you to never show the enemy mercy?”
   “We felt—“
   She turned around and faced him. “Felt, Captain. Precisely the word I do not want to hear within this chamber.”
   “My apologies, Commander.“
   “Return to Station 3 and tell the soldiers I want them performing at no less than brilliant. We have a reputation as the most cunning army in the galaxy—and I am its brain. Show the enemy that. I will arrive in six hours to check that operations are proceeding smoothly.”
   “Yes, Commander.” The man bowed and walked out of the room.
   A few seconds later, the woman froze. She did not even blink as a young, short girl walked through a hidden door in the wall.
   She patted the woman on the shoulder. “You performed marvelously well for a remotely-controlled android, Commander. How I wish I didn’t have to pretend, but of course, who would listen to a girl?”
   She sighed. “Even if I am a genius.”

(390 words)

**********

So, how long have you been blogging? How long do you think you'll continue--and/or how long do you want to continue?

And (if you aren't participating in the blogfest) who is your favorite evil genius?


-----The Golden Eagle

49 comments:

Madeleine Maddocks said...

Oh wow I love love the evil genius punchline!
Happy Blogversary. Fabulous. You are one great blogger and deserve all the supporters and page views and comments.

My question is that I'd love to know how long you spend blogging? Commenting? each day.
:O) x

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Congratulations on two years! And wow, that's a lot of blogfests. (And I was responsible for several.)
I've been seeing other Evil Genius posts today, which is awesome!

Adam said...

congrats on the 2 years

Emily R. King said...

Congratulations on 2 years! Happy blogoversary. : )

....Petty Witter said...

Happy blogoversary, what a great way to celebrate.

Pat Hatt said...

Congrats on the two years, roughly a year for me. Plan on doing it for ten and then we'll see.

Old Kitty said...

OH now that is a fabulous story!! Genius - totally genius!! Yay!!

HAPPY BLOGOVERSARY lovely Golden Eagle!!!

I created my blog in Jan 2010 but I've had to sign into blogger in 2007 to leave a comment on a blog!

I hope to continue for as long as I'm having fun!! Yay! Take care
x

Carrie said...

Happy Blogoversary!

Chris Fries said...

I missed the challenge, but wanted to wish you a very happy blogoversary!

Really liked your story, also!

prerna pickett said...

happy blogoversary!

Marieke said...

Congratulations!! Happy blogoversary! :D

Rek said...

Fantastic and you had me with the genius twist of an ending. Happy Blog Anniversary...my post is up, if you want to check.

Jen Chandler said...

That was great! Congrats on the 2 years :D

I just posted my story. I'll be reading everyone else's throughout the day.

Here's to another 2 years!!

Cheers!
Jen

Sunny said...

congrats on lasting two years!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi GE .. congratulations on 2 years and what amazing statistics .. love that you know what's going on!! I do the A - Z .. and blog - that's my lot... and I know you study too ..

Enjoy and much success ahead .. cheers Hilary

Stuart Nager said...

Mazel Tov, and I wish you continued success.

I finally posted my Evil Genius story (first one to sign, probably the last to post it...oh well...and it's over 400 words...not doing this for a prize, just support).

Hope ya'll enjoy it.

GE, as to your entry: Genius!! bwwahhahaaaaa

Emily Rose said...

I've been blogging for two years, and I don't plan to stop anytime soon! Happy birthday to your blog.:)

Carrie Butler said...

Happy Blogoversary! I've only been blogging for ten months, but I have no intentions of stopping any time soon. Loved your evil genius, by the way! :)

Cherie Reich said...

Happy Blogversary!!

M Pax said...

Happy Blogaversary!! Party!!

You have a great blog, Eagle, and are a great person.

The Dandy Lioness said...

Hey Eagle, forgot to put in my entry a few weeks ago, but here's a link to my entry. Whoops! (I don't care if I'm not in the voting.) :D Congrats on your two years!

http://teaandquills.blogspot.com/2012/02/evil-genius-blogfest.html

-Sofie

Sarah Pearson said...

Congratulations on your anniversary. I love your entry. I've finally got mine up :-)

Li said...

Congrats on your two years! I've just started reading evil genius entries this evening. You have one of the most interesting blogs - I loved your A to Z posts last year, and look forward to this year's - and I wish you many more happy years of blogging! (And the publication of your first novel!) Cheers!!!

Liz said...

Congrats on 2 years.

I started blogging...Gee, I think it was in 2006 (on MySpace--I've since closed that one). I'll continue blogging until it's time for me to stop (I don't know when that'll be).

And I'm not participating in the blogfest (sorry) because I couldn't come up with an evil genius. I thought about it for days, but nothing.

Trisha said...

Sorry I missed your blogfest! I'll definitely visit the other posts though :)

Ciara said...

Congratulations on two years of blogging. Woot! That's awesome.

Medeia Sharif said...

I love the twist at the end. Awesome story.

Happy blogoversary!

Rusty Webb said...

Great Story. I've been blogging for a few years, but I did very little until about a year or so ago. Even now, I don't do much except post more frequently.

Sorry I was late to the party here.

Krista McLaughlin said...

Congratulations on two years - that's very exciting! You have gained so much! :)

And nice entry!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Congratulations on two awesome years! You have an awesome blog! Loved your entry in the evil genius blogfest!

Josh Hoyt said...

Great story! Congrats on 2 years.

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Congratulations on blogging for two years. I need to have a look at when I started blogging. I'm thinking I'm on my third year. (maybe)

Morgan said...

Ooooo.... Great tension in your excerpt--I enjoyed it very much ;) And congrats on your blogversary! :D

Lynda R Young said...

Ha! I love the twist!

Congrats on your 2 years of blogging. I'll hit the two year mark in May I think. Woo!

Jamie Gibbs said...

Happy bloggiversary! Now you've entered the terrible two's, you can start throwing your toys around and demanding ice cream (I totally do it).

MISH said...

Congratulations on your blogoversary Golden Eagle! You rock!
I loved your Evil Genius...

P.S. I really wanted to give the challenge a go - but unfortunately, time didn't permit... :(

Paul Tobin said...

Wonderful stuff, Happy Birthday!!!

Jai Joshi said...

Massive congrats on reaching two years of blogging! That's a huge achievement and you've put in a great deal of energy which is reflected by the number of your posts and the interest in this blog. Well done!

Jai

Traci Kenworth said...

Congrats on your blogoversery and I have to say that that was an awesome entry. I love that the little girl is an evil genius.

DWei said...

Congrats on the two year Anniversary. I think I'm approaching my half year one right now.

Deborah Walker said...

Hello. We have a late entry from me! I'm a day late, so I don't need to be entered. I just wanted to say well done, and join in the celebrations

Tara Tyler said...

sorry i missed this! i read some awesome entries =)

Jennifer Fischetto said...

Hi from the platform campaign trail, and congratulations on the blogversary! :)

Deniz Bevan said...

Congratulations on your anniversary!

Carol Riggs said...

Happy blogoversary #2, woo! Glad to have you in the cyberfamily of writers and bloggers. :) WOW, what a lot of pageviews and responses to your blog from those blogfests and other posts! Whew--a lot of work, too. (Not so fun with all that spam though.)

The Golden Eagle said...

Madeleine: Thank you so much! :)

I'm planning a post in which I answer questions as part of the 900 Follower celebration--I'll add your question to the pool.

Alex: Thank you!

Yeah, I blame you for making me sign up for so many. ;) LOL.

Adam: Thank you!

Emily: Thanks. :)

Petty Witter: Thanks--and I'm glad you think so!

Pat: Thank you.

That would be a lot of rhyming. :)

Old Kitty: Thanks! :D

I agree. If it stops being fun, I'll probably stop blogging--though I might stick around to keep up with other bloggers' posts.

Carrie: Thank you!

Chris: Thanks!

I'm glad you liked the story. :)

Prerna: Thank you!

Marieke: Thanks. :)

Rek: Glad the ending was effective.

Thanks!

I loved your blogfest entry. :)

Jen: Thank you. :)

I hope you enjoyed the other entries!

Sunny: Thank you!

Lasting . . . in truth, sometimes it feels like that, though most of the time it's fun. :)

Hilary: Thank you so much!

Stuart: Thank you. :)

Don't worry about the word count. I didn't want to really clamp down on any entries, so there wasn't any restriction to 400 words.

Glad you thought so.

Emily: Thanks! :)

Carrie: I'm glad--I love reading your blog. ;)

I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Cherie: Thank you.

M: Yup, party time!

Aw, thank you so much. :)

The Dandy Lioness: Thank you!

Sarah: I'm glad you enjoyed my little story. :)

Li: Thank you so much!

I hope you'll enjoy this year's A-Z posts as much as you did last year's--I'm planning on doing science again. :)

Liz: Thanks!

That's long time to blog! Kudos to you for doing it for 6 years.

Trisha: That's okay. Thanks for visiting the other posts!

Ciara: Thank you! :)

Medeia: Thanks. Glad you liked the twist!

The Golden Eagle said...

Rusty: Thank you.

Still, that's quite an accomplishment. A lot of bloggers seem to leave after a relatively short while.

No too late! Thanks for coming by. :)

Krista: Thank you! :)

Tyrean: Thanks!

I'm glad you enjoyed my entry.

Josh: Thank you. :)

Sharon: Thank you!

Cool. :)

Morgan: Thanks! :)

Lynda: Glad you liked the twist!

Thank you--and congrats and being only a few months away from two years. :)

Jamie: LOL. You know, maybe I will . . .

Okay, just kidding. ;)

MISH: Thank you so much!

Totally understandable. Thanks for reading my blogfest post!

Paul: Thanks! :D

Jai: Thank you. :)

Traci: Thanks!

Little girls are usually overlooked . . . I thought I might put a twist to that assumption.

DWei: Thanks.

Happy half blog birthday. :)

Deborah: Thank you so much for adding an entry!

Tara: I'm glad you liked the entries to this blogfest. :)

Jennifer: Hello, fellow Campaigner! Welcome to The Eagle's Aerial Perspective.

Thanks!

Deniz: Thank you. :)

Carol: Thanks!

I'm glad you're among that cyberfamily. ;)

LOL. Nope, not really . . . but thankfully Blogger catches almost all of them!

Rachel Morgan said...

Ooh, chilling! I obviously did NOT see that coming! And wow you took part in a LOT of blogfests over the past year. Congrats!

The Golden Eagle said...

Rachel: Thank you so much. :)