15 March, 2012

Creepy Hollow Blog Tour: Book Review of Guardian by Rachel Morgan



Title: Creepy Hollow Series: Book One: Guardian
Author: Rachel Morgan
Publisher: Self-published
Genre: Paranormal/Young Adult
Page Count (e-book): 64
Rating: 4.2 out of 5
Cover Rating: 4.5 out of 5. I love the design, since it's simple and the purple is great contrast. Also, the girl's face seems perfect for the main character.

Blurb:
1. Receive assignment.
2. Save a life.
3. Sleep.
4. Repeat. 
Protecting humans from dangerous magical creatures is all in a day’s work for a faerie training to be a guardian. Seventeen-year-old Violet Fairdale knows this better than anyone—she’s about to become the best guardian the Guild has seen in years. That is, until one of her assignments—a human boy who shouldn’t even be able to see her—follows her into the fae realm. Now she’s broken Guild Law, a crime that could lead to her expulsion.  
The last thing Vi wants to do is spend any more time with the boy who got her into this mess, but the Guild requires that she return Nate to his home and make him forget everything he’s discovered of the fae realm. Easy, right? But Nate and Vi are about to land themselves in even bigger trouble—and it’ll take all Vi’s training to get them out alive.

My expectations: I wasn't quite sure what to expect from this story. I love reading Rachel Morgan's blog, but blogs and novels/novelettes are different things, and while there are many high-quality self-published books, I had to wonder if this would be one of them. 

Whatever my expectations were, however, Guardian definitely exceeded them.

About the book: Just to demonstrate what I thought of this novelette, one day (soon after I got the ARC) I resolved to read a few pages, as I didn't want to spend long on the computer. I ended up powering through it during that and another sitting.

  • Writing:
Short and to the point. There wasn't much in the way of embellishment to the style (such as vivid description), but that seems to be the usual for the Paranormal genre and I think it fit the overall story, especially because novelettes have to be short. I can't recall finding any typos, either, a rare thing for any book--and an excellent one.

  • Plot:
With some books it can take 50 pages to reach what Guardian put in on page 5, i.e. this novelette moves fast. There are a good number of twists to the story as well, which I loved.

  • Characters:
Vi was determined, capable, and she had a great voice. Nate was sweet, and since the reader knows almost a little about Vi's world as the reader, the dialogue between him and Vi divulged information about the world without being an info dump and helped flesh the two out.

  • Setting/Elements:
The world is a fascinating one. It plays on the usual faerie surroundings such as the Seelie and Unseelie Court (the Unseelie being evil), but there are unique details as well that help set it apart.

Content: Some violence, kissing. Nothing I'd really raise a flag over.

Other: I'll admit, I haven't read too many novelettes, and those were in a Science Fiction anthology. But the length works in Guardian's favor here, and since so many people are migrating over to e-readers and the like, shorter stories will probably find a much larger audience than they could have before.

Do I recommend this book? If you want a quick and entertaining Paranormal read, I highly recommend this book. The characters, plot, and efficient writing style make Guardian a great choice for those in the mood for a well-told adventure (with a bit of romance, too).


**********

Thanks to Rachel for providing me an ARC to review!

**********

~  ~  ~

Rachel Morgan is the author of Guardian, the first novelette in the Creepy Hollow series. She was born in South Africa and spent a large portion of her childhood living in a fantasy land of her own making. These days, in between teaching mathematics to high school children, she writes fiction for young adults.

Buy Guardian from

The Creepy Hollow Series

Author Info




And before you go, Rachel is also hosting a giveaway of a copy of Guardian. Enter below:

a Rafflecopter giveaway


-----The Golden Eagle

42 comments:

Medeia Sharif said...

Thanks for your review. I have Rachel's book on my wish list. It sounds like a great read. I love the cover.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Great review for Rachel's book. I imagine a novelette has to dive into the story rather fast.

Rachel Morgan said...

Thank you so much for taking part in the blog tour! This is such a fantastic and well-structured review. I normally just throw a few thoughts together on how I feel about a book!

Medeia and Alex - thank you once again for visiting one of my blog tour posts :-)

QueendSheena said...

I already have the book, posted my review on by blog and I love it. Your review was very good and I entered the giveaway. I plan to give it to a friend if I win.

J. A. Bennett said...

That cover is soooo pretty! I hope I win :)

Stephen Tremp said...

Awesome review Rachel! Good luck with everything. I'll be reading it later this month.

Rachel Morgan said...

GueendSheena and J.A. Bennet - Thanks for entering!

Stephen - Thanks, and I hope you enjoy it once you get to it :)

Misha Gericke said...

Sigh... Wanted to buy it now, but Amazon is giving me trouble. :-/

Claire Hennessy said...

Great review. I really felt you were honest rather than just saying you liked it to be nice.

Cherie Reich said...

Great review! And I love Rachel's book. Can't wait for the next one.

Morgan said...

I love seeing Rachel's name everywhere. So great. And what a great review! :D

Seen on TV said...

Nice report!

M Pax said...

Yay, for Rachel for getting out there and taking over the internet. Great job. PS, I am playing with my new cover in Powerpoint. Thanks for that tip, Rachel.

Waving at Eagle.

Beth said...

Great review. I'd seen this book around, but wasn't sure if I wanted to read it.

anthony stemke said...

A very interestin review, I learned a lot about the book. Thank You.

anthony stemke said...

A very interestin review, I learned a lot about the book. Thank You.

Jamie Gibbs said...

Thanks for the review :) I can imagine it's difficult to control pacing of a novelette, but it sounds like Rachel has nailed it :)

Su said...

Yay, I can't wait to read this!

Belle said...

I like a book that moves ahead quickly with the story, and the story sounds very interesting!

Trisha said...

Yay, another review! I loved this story :)

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I usually only read novelettes if they're written by friends. This sounds really good.

Carrie Butler said...

I can't wait to read it! :)

V. Furnas said...

I am your 950th follower so I am pretty sure you will remember me forever.

Great review on Rachel's book. I look forward to reading more.

Shelley said...

Nice review! Sounds like a good book, though not one that I would necessarily like because of the genre. Thanks for sharing though! :)

Rusty Webb said...

Sounds great... and good job reviewing too. Thanks for the heads up.

Cally Jackson said...

Great review. I really enjoyed Guardian too and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next in the Creepy Hollow world!

Cally Jackson said...

Great review. I really enjoyed Guardian too and I'm looking to seeing what happens next in the Creepy Hollow world!

Ciara said...

Great review. I've seen Rachel's book around the blogging world and it has intrigued me. The cover is great.

Stuart Nager said...

Excellent review GE. Gave more than enough info without to intrigue without spoiling anything. I love short fiction (duh) and novelettes. I'll get this now.

Traci Kenworth said...

Good review!!

Michael Offutt, Tebow Cult Initiate said...

I think that it's interesting that the fae (sp?) are so strict. That seems to be a common theme in books and or television that deals with the fae. For example, in the show "Lost Girl" on SyFy, the fae are very strict about human/fae interaction. The prejudice and or hatred against the humans never fully gets explained though. I'm wondering...does this book include an answer to that question. In other words something like "The fae absolutely cannot have a human enter their realm because when this happened before 200 years ago, the fairy queen ended up dying and that's just bad and we can't have that happen again." If something like this hypothetical scenario happened, then I could definitely see why there are laws and consequences for fae/human interaction.

Rachel Morgan said...

Thank you for all the comments on this review! Your support means so much to me, bloggers :-)

Tyrean Martinson said...

Great Review!!!
I have an award for you today at my blog!
http://tyreanswritingspot.blogspot.com/2012/03/lucky-meme-award-and-my-toughest-beta.html

Memzie said...

Awesome book review!!!

I have a question and I feel really stupid asking it but how did you get those bookmarks at the bottom of your posts?

Rachel Morgan said...

Michael - I do actually answer that question in this book and, while your answer isn't quite the same, it does come rather close!

~Sia McKye~ said...

Nice review.I like the sound of this one.

Sia McKye OVER COFFEE

Margo Kelly said...

Great review! :)

....Petty Witter said...

Glad this didn't disappoint. Thanks for an honest review.

DWei said...

Hm, can't say this is something I'd enjoy. Again, something my girlfriend would appreciate more.

The Golden Eagle said...

Medeia: You're welcome!

Alex: Thanks. :)

Rachel: You're very welcome. I'm glad you like it. :)

QueendSheena: Thank you!

J.A.: Good luck!

Stephen: I hope you enjoy it. I know I did. :)

Misha: Hope it stops acting up.

My mom has been having a lot of trouble with Amazon lately; pages won't load fully.

Claire: Thanks. I greatly prefer honesty over just a basic plug, which is one reason why I break down reviews into categories; I can break up the good and the bad that way.

Cherie: Thank you!

Me, neither.

Morgan: Thanks. :)

Seen on TV: Thank you.

M: *waves back*

Beth: Thank you!

Anthony: You're welcome.

Jamie: She did well with the pacing!

Su: I hope you enjoy the book.

Belle: Me, too. I'll wait for things to happen--but only to a point.

Trisha: Same here.

Susan: It thought it was. :)

Carrie: Hope you like it!

V.: Yes, I will. Thank you so much for following my blog!

Shelley: You're very welcome!

Rusty: Thanks. :)

Anytime!

Cally: Thank you.

I am, too.

Ciara: Thanks!

I love the cover, too.

Stuart: Thank you! :)

Traci: Thanks.

Michael: Rachel already answered your question below. But, I have noticed that as well about the fae; it can be confusing or bothersome if the situation isn't explained.

Tyrean: Thanks!

I'm off to check out the award. :)

Memzie: Thank you!

The Twitter/Facebook/Gmail/Google+ buttons and I Disagree/Perhaps/Nice! things? If you got to "Layout" from the Dashboard and click the "Edit" in the Post area, a window that gives you all kinds of options to add them should pop up. :)

Sia: Thanks!

Margo: Thank you.

Petty Witter: You're very welcome.

DWei: Well, we all have varying book tastes. :)

Sarah Pearson said...

Late again, but I just wanted to say how much I enjoy the structure of your reviews. Thanks Eagle.

The Golden Eagle said...

Sarah: You're very welcome! :)