10 March, 2010

Hello Warm Weather and Scarlett O'Hara

(Okaaaaay, I just accidentally deleted the several paragraphs I had written for this post, so I'm kinda pissed off . . .)

FINALLY I can go around outside without having to wear a bulky winter coat (though the barn coat I wear is warm and I like it) and I can run without the fear of slipping on ice and possibly losing my brains on the sidewalk, which is a big improvement. AND I can run without sucking in frrrreeeezing cold air which makes my lungs ache. So I consequently ran probably around a mile and walked a little less than that, which is good P.E. for someone's who's homeschooled. (No gym, so I have to do stuff on my own.)

(Spoilers might be ahead if you're a person who likes to avoid knowing the little details prior to reading. Just a little warning :)
Gone With the Wind is an odd book, since the writing style I like, but the characters I. DO. NOT. Let me explain. Scarlett O'Hara is a girl living just before the American Civil War, and since she's on a comfortable plantation, what's there to worry about? Slaves! Land! Beaux! Ashley! But there's the problem. Ashley here decides that he is going to marry Melanie, and and Ms. O'Hara gets REALLY mad. Dejected. Miserable; until she gets the idea that he loves her, but she had been too flirtatious and not shown her true colors. So she goes and tells him that. And it blows up in her face.
Now, I'm not feeling terrifically sorry for Scarlett. She's silly, flirty, and strings the people around her along, so I don't like her. And while she may complain about women not being able to be anything but empty-headed and foolish, I get the feeling that if you asked her, "Well, what else would you do?" she wouldn't be able to come up with anything. That, to me, is hypocritical. If there's one thing I don't really like when it comes to important issues, it's hypocrisy. (I've been hypocritical on some things, we all have been, but I like to take a stand and stay by it and if I change my mind for some reason, I state it.)
I don't know if I'll finish this book; perhaps, perhaps not. But if I do, I'll tell you people about it, and you can hear me rant. (JK! I'll save you the trauma.)

Oh, and has anyone ever heard of this? I think it's cool in its own right, but tell me what you think about it and the rest of this post . . . i.e. please post comments!!

3 comments:

Icewolf said...

I can list a few people like Scarlett and they drive me insane. I mean, can they at least keep their grubby little paws off of at least ONE person? Honestly. It's not just girls either.

The Golden Eagle said...

Ha. Of course it's not always girls. EVERYBODY (both genders at least) seem to do it. There's always a rotten apple in the bunch.

Icewolf said...

or two...or five....or five million....grr-eth