11 April, 2011

A-Z Blogging Challenge: I Stands For: Ice

***An unfinished version of this post accidentally published this morning. My fault, because I meant to say 12:00 PM, not 12:00 AM. Sorry about that. Just another reason why a switch should be made to 24 HOUR TIME. It would make life so much easier. Anyway, I'll rant some other time (that's hopefully in 24-hour!)--on with the post.***

I've already covered Cold (go HERE to read that post) but ice is a very different state of matter.


Essentially water frozen into a solid state, ice is the "most abundant of the varying solid phases on Earth's surface". The most common phase transition (i.e. the most common way ice forms) is when water is cooled to 0 C/273.15 K/32 F at standard atmospheric pressure, depending on which temperature scale you use. It can also form without going through a liquid state, such as when vapor turns into frost.


Ice is officially considered a mineral. Its crystalline structure is based on water molecules, which consist of  covalent bonds between oxygen atoms and two hydrogen atoms. Weak, adjacent hydrogen bonds between molecules control much of the physical properties of water and ice.


The only non-metallic structure known to expand when it cools, frozen water is 9% less dense than liquid water. This is because the hydrogen atoms have a slight positive charge, and the oxygen atoms have a slight negative charge, and the solid hexagonal structure that forms because of their bond takes up more space than when water is moving freely in liquid state.


Ice is one of 15 known crystalline phases of water. Besides Ih, which is your usual frozen water, there is:

Amorphous Ice (ice without any crystal structure).
Ice Ic (ice where oxygen atoms are arranged in a diamond shape, produced at temperatures of 130 and 220 K).
Ice II (ice with a rhombohedral crystalline structure, formed by compressing Ih at 190-210 K).
Ice III (ice with a tetragonal crystalline structure, formed by cooling water to 250 K at 300 MPa--MPa stands for megapascal. One megapascal is one million pascals, and a pascal is one newton of force per square meter).
Ice IV (ice in a metastable rhombohedral phase. (Metastable means in a state of equilibrium, but easily sent into a lower energy state with only slight interaction.) It is formed by heating amorphous ice at a pressure of 810 MPa).
Ice V (ice in a monoclinic crystalline phase, and the most complicated of all phases. It is formed by cooling water down to 253 K at 500 MPa.)
Ice VI (ice with a tetragonal crystalline structure and formed by cooling water to 270 K at 1.1 GPa. GPa stands for one billion (thousand million) pascals.)
. . . and for the other phases, go HERE.

(I couldn't resist sharing an eagle sculpture. SOURCE)

*****

Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice
http://www.word-detective.com/howcome/waterexpand.html
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/chemical/waterdens.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal_(unit)
http://www.sensorsone.co.uk/pressure-measurement-glossary/mpa-megapascal-pressure-unit.html



*****


Thoughts on ice?


-----The Golden Eagle

25 comments:

Niki said...

I've never thought of ice as a mineral. Very interesting :o)

Trisha said...

Ice is my best friend - well, one of them. I once got accused of having mental problems (basically) because I liked lots of ice in my water. :P

Old Kitty said...

Now all I need is some vodka!!
:-)

Yay for Ice!!!! Take care
x

Jade said...

This is an excellent educational post. Very nice. :)

li said...

I didn't realize that ice is classified as a mineral either. I do find it amazing how strong it is and how much weight a sheet of ice can actually support. Something which confuses people sometimes; when a plane crashes because of icing, it isn't actually the weight of the ice which brings it down...it's the interruption of smooth air flow over the wing.

Kari Marie said...

I also didn't know Ice could be classified as a mineral nor did I know that there were so many types of ice. Personally, I'm quite happy to see the ICE melt off our pond this weekend.

Josh Hoyt said...

Ice is amazing actually because of it's properties we still have fish. Could you imagine if it did not expand it would all sink to the bottom. I like the statue.

Lucy Adams said...

I like ice. I like it in my seet tea. A tall glass of ice water on a hot day is terrific. I even put a cube of ice in my white wine. A bad habit, I know.

Lucy

Carolyn Abiad said...

Very cool post! (pun intended) :)

Simon Kewin said...

Intriguing and instructive. Thanks!

Her highness, Samantha Vérant said...

You really did some research on ice. Nice. Err, Vanilla Ice, Ice, Baby?

Siv Maria said...

Once I went to a ice park, it was just beautiful! Did you know that in Finland they have a hotel that is made out of ice? Fascinating. Icebergs are so beautiful, when you see one up close and in real, the colors are amazing!

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

I never knew there were so many different types of ice! Thanks for posting!

Nate Wilson said...

Ooh, diamond ice. I shall now set my freezer for 130 degrees Kelvin.

And wait, ice is a mineral? We must get the word out! We need to inform the masses they are paying way too much for mineral water!

TheyCallMeVarmit said...

Ice is cool. I learned a bit more about it, thanks to your post. and as always, excellent pics!

Michael Di Gesu said...

I never knew there were so many different phases of ice. Very interesting.

Emily Rose said...

So fascinating. I never gave ice that much thought.;)

Charles Gramlich said...

Crystals are such lovely structures. I'm amazed at the variety.

Susan Fields said...

Very educational post!

I agree - 24 hour time would make life much simpler, wouldn't it?

Medeia Sharif said...

I didn't know that it's a mineral. Fascinating. :)

The Golden Eagle said...

Niki: It's not often thought of as a mineral . . . but it does make sense, since it forms crystals. It just has a lower melting point than, say, quartz. :P

Trisha: Just because you liked a lot of ice in your water? I don't think it's weird . . I'd do it. :D

Old Kitty: LOL.

Jade: Thank you! :)

Li: Polar bears, cars, trucks, people . . . ice is pretty strong!

I hadn't known that was a point of argument. :P But that figures, since ice floats, and a wing's lift and drag is what keeps a plane flying.

Kari: Good thing! Means it really is spring. :)

Josh: And the fish would get frozen among the ice and be unable to survive.

Me, too. :D

Lucy: There are a lot of uses for ice! The regular kind, of course. :P

Carolyn: Thank you! ;)

Simon: Anytime!

Samantha: Most if was from Wikipedia--I do love that site. :D

Siv: An ice park sounds amazing!

Yes, I did know that. I've watched a couple travels shows on the hotel there--it looks like such a, well, cool place.

I would love to see an iceberg in person!

The Golden Eagle said...

Sandra: I hadn't known about it, either, until I started Googling "Ice".

You're welcome!

Nate: Mine's set as well. ;)

Waaay too much, apparently. I mean, all you have to do is put a glass of water into the freezer and voila! Mineral water.

Varmit: Glad you learned something from my post!

Michael: It's fascinating the way the molecules react at different temperatures, isn't it?

Emily: I didn't, either, until I started this post!

Charles: Cubes, hexagons, crystals come in all sorts of clear-cut shapes.

Susan: Thanks!

It would! :P

Medeia: Another interesting fact about ice.

laughingwolf said...

love it best with my lemonade! :)

The Golden Eagle said...

Ice is good with anything when it's hot out! :D

Tomara Armstrong said...

I did not know there were 15 (known) crystalline phases of water... I am truly amazed by your blog
~2