03 May, 2011

Teaser Tuesday (35)

My friends, Teaser Tuesday is back on the blog! I've missed this meme (although the A-Z Challenge was definitely worth it).

This weekly reading event is hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading.

Rules for participating:

  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title and author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

My teaser is from Dragonfly by Julia Golding. I picked this up because I liked the cover, and I liked the blurb, and the author sounded like a fascinating person--it says in the bio "While working as diplomat in Poland, Julia Golding traveled from the Tatra Mountains to the bottom of a Silesian coal mine. She later joined Oxfam as a lobbyist on conflict issues, campaigning at the United Nations and with governments to lessen the impact of war on civilians living in war zones".

Cool, no? I just love finding out about the people who write the books I read.

Anyway. Right, got to post the teaser!

(Ah, dark background, sparkly object, beautiful colors! What's not to like?)

"That 'stupid paper bird', Your Highness, was her personal sign, the dragonfly," said Lord Taris.
   "Didn't look anything like a dragonfly," grumbled Ramil.
   "To hand your symbol to another is to entrust them with yourself--the fragility of the paper expressing the delicacy of each person's soul."
   "Oh."

*****

Do you have a teaser, or thoughts on the book you're reading? Feel free to leave them in the comments!


-----The Golden Eag;e

19 comments:

Jennifer said...

How very intriguing. Now I am curious as to what is going on. My TT: http://www.rundpinne.com/2011/05/teaser-tuesdays-wrecker.html

"Confuzzled" Shannon said...

Is this the one the movie Dragonfly is based on because the book sounds better..

Emily Rose said...

Ooh that is a pretty cover! I love the face in the background, and the dragonfly is stunning. Sounds like a very interesting author too!

Old Kitty said...

Fabulous teaser!!! I loved it!! "Oh"! LOL! Excellent!!

Take care
x

Catherine said...

The cover alone is enough to draw me in! I even like the color of the title for the book :D

Here is my TT, http://miss-check-out.blogspot.com/2011/05/teaser-tuesday-willow-by-julia-hoban.html

Pearson Report said...

Very intriguing...

I like this idea - teasing someone with a sentence or two - how clever, how inventive!

If...big IF...I was reading something other than tutoring manuals and trade magazines I would join right in!

When I do pick up a book, lately, I always reach for one of my favourite books and do a re-read! Currently I'm revisiting Jane Eyre - because I recently saw the movie and wanted to refresh my memory and see how closely the book was followed.

BBC usually does an excellent job on following the written work when translating it to film.

Happy Reading,
Jenny

Theresa Milstein said...

That last line is powerful!

I missed Teaser Tuesday.

I'm reading Demonglass, book 2 after Hex Hall. (Page 119)

Laughing, Nick dipped a finger in his drink and licked it. Ew. "No, no eye of newt. Just water from the Aegean Sea, a couple of shots of hundred-year-old brandy, and a whole lot of magic. Oh, and a dash of fairies' blood."

I took a sip of water to keep my mouth from puckering in disgust.

Fireflywishes said...

I LOOOVE that cover, and that teaser is really beautiful! I will have to keep an eye out for the book! I really like dragonflies too.

Nice blog!

April @ My Shelf Confessions: Teaser Tuesday

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Great teaser! OMGoodness, that cover is divine!

Jemi Fraser said...

Gorgeous cover and great teaser! :)

N. R. Williams said...

I love dragonflies. I love the book cover too, and the teaser. This sounds like a must read to me.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, The Treasures of Carmelidrium.

Medeia Sharif said...

Stunning cover. And great teaser, too.

Pk Hrezo said...

Oh cool.Dragonflies have a significance in my WIP too, so this caught my attention.They're my fave bug. lol

Jules said...

That is one powerful teaser and I too loved that cover :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Canyon Girl said...

I'm not doing the Tuesday thing. I just wanted to thank you for following my blog. You must be the first teenager to do so. I'm honored! Also, I have recently spent a lot of time reading books about China, past and present. Are you familiar with Peter Hessler, author of River Town and Oracle Bones?--Inger

Rachel said...

I think Julia Golding is a very intriguing woman. She wrote some of my favorite books.

Alleged Author said...

from SMALL PERSONS WITH WINGS (they hate to be called fairies) by Ellen Booraem:

"You say the elixir wears off, Grand-pere?" I sawed at another rope.

"When the next full moon rises. Tide chart next to the refrigerator will say when that is."

The Golden Eagle said...

Jennifer: Rumil made a big mistake in flattening a folded paper dragonfly--and then handing it back shaped like a dart. :P

Shannon: I don't think it is; or if it is, I didn't know there was a movie!

Emily: I agree. :)

I love learning about author backgrounds.

Old Kitty: Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Catherine: It's a cool cover, isn't it? :)

Jenny: MizB had the right idea!

I wouldn't mind reading a teaser from a manual or magazine--even those can be interesting! :)

I've never read Jane Eyre--nor have I seen the film. I should get around to the book sometime, just to find out what it's like . . .

Theresa: "Oh" usually is--LOL.

I missed it, too! I love the meme. :)

Really? It sounds like quite a mixture, then! I haven't read any of the books in that series, although I've heard it's funny--what do you think of them?

Fireflywishes: Glad you liked the teaser! :)

They're cool creatures!

Thank you!

Sharon: Thanks!

I love it. :D

Jemi: Thank you!

Nancy: I hope you find it, then! I finished it the same day I posted this teaser; it was that good. :)

Medeia: Thanks! Glad you liked the teaser.

The Golden Eagle said...

Pk: They're quite pretty. :)

Jules: It seems to be the unanimous opinion--one winning cover!

Canyon Girl: You're very welcome! I'm still getting around to all the A-Z Challenge blogs; your definitely looked like one I had to follow!

I've never heard of the author of those books--I'll have to look him up! Thanks for the recommendation.

Rachel: I've only read Dragonfly, but I'm eager to read the other books she wrote . . .

Alleged Author: How about faeries, then? ;)

LOL. Love that last line!