31 May, 2011

Teaser Tuesday (39)

Teaser Tuesday is hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading, a fun weekly meme based on finding new books for that TBR pile--even if it doesn't really need expanding. (Guilty as charged, here.)

As usual, here are the rules:

  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

This week, my teaser is from Chime by Franny Billingsley. I picked this up a.) because I like the cover b.) because there aren't many main characters out there who believe they "ought to be hanged" and c.) because there's a rave review by Nancy Werlin on the back.

(I love the brown and black. I'm not so fond of the way they presented the face, but I can definitely picture the main character as looking like that.)
I was young, I was dressed in white, I was an underdone sugar cookie next to Leanne's shot-silk taffeta, glinting blue and green, except that there were fewer glints than there might have been, which was because there wasn't as much taffeta as there might have been, which was because Leanne wore her skirts right up to her ankles, quite exposing her enormous feet.
   "But I found myself stuck on the sculpture," said Eldric, and for a moment I picture him impaled on a monument, until I realized he was still playing at Metaphor.
-p. 179

(Yes, there are lots of long sentences. And I love long sentences. And I have to say, I quite enjoy Briony's voice; it's very distinctive, and full of dry humor.)

********

Have a teaser, or thoughts on the book you're reading? Feel free to leave them in the comments!


-----The Golden Eagle

24 comments:

Emily Rose said...

Oh I love the cover! Just that makes me want to read the book.

Holly Ruggiero said...

Long sentence serve a purpose. I love the line about the feet!

I really like the cover, but the face bothered me. I think because it looks to plasticy. The fingers on the lower hand look funny too.

Sandy Nachlinger said...

"...I was an underdone sugar cookie ..." I love it! What an image. You picked a good Teaser.

ali said...

That WAS a long sentence! But you're right, sometimes they work. Interesting excerpt Eags! Thanks for sharing!

kaye said...

I like how she compared her dress to the tafetta--and the feet, so funny. Kaye—the road goes ever ever on

Munir said...

Like the cover, can't say I blame you for picking the book for just that. Also a review on the back cover is a good inspiration.
Thanks for sharing.

Summer Ross said...

The cover is beautiful- great choice of sentences.

Krispy said...

Oh, I like the humor here. Thanks for the excerpt! CHIME is on my TBR, so this makes me excited to read it!

Anonymous said...

What's the book about?

Cecelia said...

I like that we can see the humor in those sentences (and her voice does sound fun) - I want to read this! Great teaser!

If you'd like, you can visit mine here.

Jennifer Hillier said...

That sentence is long, but it's very rhythmic, and totally works. Sounds like a good read!

Kelsey said...

Love the colors in the cover too! Great teaser!

Old Kitty said...

Nice teaser!!!! Very nice!! And I think the cover is beautiful!!! The woman's face is lovely - I have to say I'm very drawn to her face. Take care
x

Alleged Author said...

I love this cover!

I'm reading a lesson plan right now to make sure it has the proper English learner components. Gripping, I know. :P

Charles Gramlich said...

"Just an old blind bag of bones, my King."
"not so, Staretz. I can feel you got the sight."

From The mouse guard:

Orchid said...

Sometimes long sentences make for the best teasers.
Chime sounds like an intersting read, especially with that teaser (think I'll check it out from the library when I get a chance). :)

Sally said...

Great teaser. I have this one on my tbr pile. Looks good.
Sally.
http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/05/teaser-tuesday-21.html

Andrea said...

Beautiful teaser. I love the language of this one. I have been wanting to read this book and now I am set on buying it for sure. Enjoy your read.

Reading Lark's Teaser

Jules said...

LOL, I have sugar cookies in the oven. I do like the cover as well. :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Medeia Sharif said...

I love the colors of that cover.

I'm a fan of long sentences.

Thanks for sharing this book.

Nahno McLein said...

It's a catchy read. I love the face on the cover, so playful and sexy.
Nahno ∗ McLein

The Golden Eagle said...

Emily: I like it, too. :D

Holly: Thought readers might. ;)

I actually like the way her skin is, sort of artificial--it's just so white against the dark background. Definitely agree about the fingers. They don't seem to match the rest of the cover.

Sandy: Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it. :D

ali: They're my favorite kind of sentence; LOL.

Anytime!

Kaye: She has a lot of lines like that that are mixture of funny, dry, and a little sad, too.

Munir: I agree! I've picked up several books because of rave reviews by newspapers/authors. Many have paid off!

You're welcome. :)

Summer: Thanks!

Krispy: Do read it! It's a great book. :)

Anonymous: Here's information from the blurb:

Before Briony's stepmother died, she made sure Briony blamed herself for all the family's hardships. Now Briony has worn her guilt for so long it's become a second skin. She often escapes to the swamp, where she tells stories to the Old Ones, the spirits who haunt the marshes. But only witches can see the Old Ones, and in her village, witches are sentenced to death. Briony lives in fear her secret will be found out, even as she believes she deserves the worst kind of punishment.

Then Eldric comes along with his golden lion eyes and mane of tawny hair. He's as natural as the sun, and treats her as if she's extraordinary. And everything starts to change. As many secrets as Briony has been holding, there are secrets even she doesn't know.

Also--while I love it when people comment, could you use a name next time? It's easier for me to know who I'm talking to. :P

Cecelia: Glad you liked the teaser! :) It's a great book.

Jennifer: I agree. There are a lot of sentences like that in this book!

It is. :D

Kelsey: Thank you!

Old Kitty: Me, too--even if there is a bit much of it. :P I tend to like less face in a cover.

The Golden Eagle said...

Alleged Author: I hope you got some time to read fiction; it sounds like something to take a break from!

Charles: Intriguing! I wonder what kind of sigh the character means. :)

Orchid: That's where I found the copy I'm reading--the library. They're fabulous places, are't they? :D

Sally: Thanks!

It's a great book--definitely worth the read!

Andrea: Glad you enjoyed it!

Thanks! I did enjoy it. :)

Jules: Hope they were good. ;)

Medeia: Me, too! One both accounts.

You're welcome!

Nahno: Agreed. :D

Kristi said...

I love these teasers!