25 September, 2011

Terry Pratchett Month: Book Review: Thief of Time



Title: Thief of Time
Author: Terry Pratchett
Genre: Fantasy
Published: 2001
Page Count: 324
Cover Rating: 3.8 out of five. I cannot find a good resolution image of the cover that's on the library copy, but anyway, the yellow and purple are a little strange but go together okay. The cover I really like is the Australian one.
Rating: 5 out of 5

Summary:

Everybody wants more time, which is why on Discworld its management is entrusted to the experts: the venerable Monks of History, who store it and pump it from where it's wasted, like underwater (after all, how much time does a codfish really need?) to places like cities, where harried citizens are forever lamenting "Oh where does the time go?"
   And while everyone always talks about slowing down, one clever soul is about to stop. Stop time, that is. For good. Going against everything known (and the nine tenths of everything that remains unknown) a young horologist has been commissioned to build the world's first truly accurate clock. It falls to History Monk Lu-Tze and his apprentice Lobsang Ludd to find the timepiece and stop it before it starts. For if the Perfect Clock starts ticking, Time--as we know it--will stop. And then the trouble will really begin.


My Thoughts: Out of the 6 Discworld books I've read (of the whole 37 in the series . . .), this one ranks at the top.

First, because Susan Sto Helit is one of my favorite characters, as are Lobsang Ludd and DEATH, other major figures in this novel. Second, because I love stories that play on time and paradoxes. Third, because I thought it was particularly funny, even more so than other Discworld books, which I've always found amusing.

Other: None.

Verdict: The best novel in the Discworld series I have read so far, I highly recommend Thief of Time.

Other Terry Pratchett Month Posts:
Book Review: The Color of Magic
Book Review: The Light Fantastic
Discussion Post: On Humorous and Parodic Stories
Book Review: Nation
Discussion Post: Anthropomorphism
Book Review: Good Omens
Movie Review: The Color of Magic

Book Review: Mort
Discussion Post: World Building Through A Series of Books: How And Why It Works


-----The Golden Eagle

18 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Five out of five is a great review! That cover seems rather plain, especially for a fantasy novel.

Old Kitty said...

I absolutely love the Auditors!! Worthy villains - I could just go Booooooooo at them whenever they pop up!! Yay!!!

I love this book for characteristaion: the three horsemen (who don't want to join the apocalypse! LOL!) plus Soak, Nanny Ogg (yay!) wonderful Death as always! and great gals Unity and Susan! Now I love Susan but Unity's transformation is tremendous. And for tackling once again complex philosophical conundrums with humour (what is it that makes a human human? What is time, the universe and everything and where does chaos fit into all this and should it and how?)and a cracking good story

Ah! I am babbling over now so I better go for a lie down! Lovely! take care
x

Barbara Kloss said...

I need to read some Terry Pratchett - especially this one. I love seeing how authors manipulate time.

Thanks for the review, and I agree with Alex. That cover does seem plain for fantasy...

Shelly said...

Is this a YA series?

Bethany Elizabeth said...

I love the cover - it leaves a lot to the imagination. :) And it looks like a great book, I'll have to pick it up!

julie fedderson said...

I agree, this book far outshines its cover. One of my favorite Terry P.'s

Sarah McCabe said...

This is one of my absolute favorites too. But more because Lu Tze is AWESOME. I love his Way of Mrs. Cosmopolite.

laughingwolf said...

wait til you read 'the hogfather' ;)

LynNerd said...

Just the title alone is intriguing to me! And the fact that it has humor in it, that makes this book even more appealing.

Sarah Pearson said...

I haven't read this one, but I'm definitely adding it to my list. My goodness, are there really 37 now? I've got a lot of catching up to do!

Lynda R Young said...

Oh, I like the sound of this one from the teaser (and your recommendation too). I still haven't read any Pratchett except his Trucker novels (which were brilliant).

Angela Orlowski-Peart said...

I just realized that it's been a while since I've read anything by Terry Pratchett! Yikes. Thank you for sharing this review - you inspired my next reading choice :-)

BornStoryteller said...

Nanny Ogg is just one of those great characters. There are only a few books of Discworld that I DON"T count as favorites.

What's funny is that some libraries don't know where to put his books: I've seen them in YA, most in SciFi or Fantasy sections, and SOMETIMES in Literature. Silly librarians. They need a good Ape to straighten it all out for them!!!

Misha said...

Sigh... I REALLY have to start reading Terry Pratchett's books.

No idea why I'm fighting this.

;-)

Laila Knight said...

That a dream come true right there. I could get so much done if I could just slow down time. Ah, all the writing and family time, and doggie time. Maybe scientists will figure something out. I hope I'm alive to see it. :)

....Petty Witter said...

Not the same cover as the book we have, I agree with Alex that this is plain.

N. R. Williams said...

37 books! That is amazing. I'm sure there isn't any world that I have created that can support 37 books but you never know.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, The Treasures of Carmelidrium

The Golden Eagle said...

Alex: It's a great book. :)

It is a bit plain, I agree. All the covers that were published by this publisher are like that . . .

Old Kitty: Definitely! They're perfect antagonists. :)

I know! They're the Horsemen of the Apocalypse and--they don't want to join the Apocalypse.

I agree; it is an impressive transformation.

Do you have every Discworld book memorized? :) I had to look some details of this book up on Wikipedia to write the review!

Barbara: Me, too. :)

You're welcome!

Shelley: Nope. Adult Fantasy--though aspects of it could be considered YA. Some of the MCs are relatively young, for one.

Bethany: I hope you enjoy Thief of Time, if you do read it! :)

Julie: Mine as well.

Sarah: I don't believe I've come across that Way, yet . . . his comments are hilarious!

Laughingwolf: I'm looking forward to that one. :) DEATH and Christmas? That's got to be one interesting combination . . .

LynNerd: It's a great title, isn't it?

I love humor in my books, too!

Sarah: Yup--and I think the 38th is set to be released this December in the UK.

But on the upside, there's still a lot to look forward to. :)

Lynda: I haven't read anything in that series, yet. They sound like really good books!

Angela: Ack, now that's something that has to be remedied. ;)

You're very welcome!

I hope you like Thief of Time.

Stuart: Same here; the series is one of my all-time favorites!

LOL. Yes, they do!

Misha: They're really good books. You should try a Discworld novel sometime. :)

Laila: Me, too. I'd get so much more done if I could only pack in more per minute . . .

Maybe. After all, they say neutrinos went faster than light, which was supposed to be impossible!

Tracy: It is. I wish the covers here were as elaborate as the UK ones; though I have seen the illustrated covers a few times.

Nancy: Isn't it? I don't think I've ever created a setting that complex--Terry Pratchett is amazing at world building. :)