18 September, 2011

Terry Pratchett Month: Movie Review: The Color of Magic





Title: The Color of Magic
Genre: Fantasy/Humor
Released (North America): 2009
Length: 197 minutes
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
Cast: David Jason, Sean Astin, Tim Curry

My Thoughts: First off, I loved seeing Terry Pratchett in the opening scene as Astrozoologist #2. At first I didn't know why I recognized the man with the white beard and glasses, but then it clicked. I know who that person is!

But as for the rest of the movie? I don't often laugh at things onscreen, but I did several times during The Color of Magic. It stuck fairly well to the original plot of The Color of Magic and The Light Fantastic (it's divided into two episodes), though they cut out a lot of the details and completely left out the Temple of Bel-Shamharoth, which I thought was too bad. That was one thing that bothered me: they left out so many characters and details, just glossing over some of the interesting (or just the funny) bits. Like, for example, there is no card game with Death, they omitted the gods, there are less heroes, and the Wyrmberg was just in-and-out compared to the book.

Nevertheless, the movie was quite enjoyable. It was awesome seeing the Discworld come to life, and I love the cast. Sean Astin was perfect for Twoflower (you know, Samwise Gamgee from LOTR?), David Jason was a great Rincewind (despite the fact I hadn't pictured him in my head as being that old), and Tim Curry was a perfectly disturbing, conniving wizard (though they did expand his part from the book-Trymon).

Other: Some violence (tavern brawl/swordfights/usual Fantasy) and mild swearing (there is one instance where it sounds like something worse than it is--when they're first introduced to Cohen the Barbarian's lack of teeth. You probably know what I'm referring to, if you've read the book.)

Verdict: A great adaptation of Terry Pratchett's The Color of Magic and The Light Fantastic.





Other Terry Pratchett Month Posts:

Discussion Post: On Humorous and Parodic Stories
Book Review: Nation
Discussion Post: Anthropomorphism
Book Review: Good Omens


-----The Golden Eagle

24 comments:

Kimberly said...

I haven't heard of this movie. Thanks for the review - I'll have to watch it.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Tim Curry is so talented. He can do evil so well. I might look this movie up. Has it been on TV?

Belle said...

I think Sean Astin is a great actor so it was good to see he was in a movie again. Sounds like a good one.

Old Kitty said...

I am skipping this review while I wait for my copy to arrive!! Yes - I took the plunge and hopefully nice Amazon will send my dvd asap! Yay!!!!

Take care
x

li said...

I've never read the book, but I'll pretty much watch anything with Tim Curry! Thx :-)

That 20 Something Virgin. said...

i've never heard of this but it sounds interesting. plus the cast sounds awesome, especially tim curry.

julie fedderson said...

I have not seen this, but how much do I love Tim Curry? Now it's a must see!

Janet Johnson said...

I watched the trailer with my husband and now he's ready to read it. (and see it, I imagine). :)

Thanks for the review!

Stephen Tremp said...

I haven't read the book or watched the movie. But thanks for introducing it to me. Have a great week!

Christine Rains said...

I've never seen the movie, but I love the book. Tim Curry is fabulous!

Su said...

I don't know how I missed that it was Terry Pratchett month! Or maybe I knew but forgot. :/

Either way, I agree with your assessment. Sean Astin was brilliant in this movie. It's been a while since I last saw it... maybe it's time for a re-watch.

Jennifer Hillier said...

I hadn't heard of this movie, but I'm a big fan of Tim Curry! Will have to check it out.

Paul Tobin said...

Interesting it was a tv show here in UK. I thought it was done rather well.

Melissa Bradley said...

I will most definitely have to see this movie. I love your review and can't resist a good fantasy yarn.

BornStoryteller said...

Thanks for the review. It would be so very cool to get all the Discworld books out in some form: movie or animation. The animations are fun. I have a few of them. Love Tim Curry (saw him on Bway in Spamalot)so, this is a must get.

kelworthfiles said...

Hello there, fellow campaigner, I know that I haven't dropped by in a little while.

Happy Terry Pratchett month! I haven't seen any of the movies but I'll put them on the (long) 'to watch' list, and I just finished reading "The Light Fantastic", my first Discworld novel, a few weeks ago. Really enjoyed it!

Sarah Pearson said...

I really must get around to watching this film - although I know what you mean about Rincewind's age. When I first heard about David Jason being cast in it, it never occurred to me that was who he was going to be.

Elizabeth Mueller said...

I loved this movie! I also love HogFather--I've never seen Death, aka the Grimm Reaper, so paternal before!
:)


♥.•*¨Elizabeth¨*•.♥

Can Alex save Winter from the darkness that hunts her?

YA Paranormal Romance, Darkspell coming fall of 2011!

Charles Gramlich said...

I had heard of it but never saw any scenes from it. Cool.

Alleged Author said...

Already on my Netflix que!

Kari Marie said...

I didn't know they made a movie! I have the paperback in my to read pile. I'll have to put this one on the Netflix list when I'm done.

Ciara said...

I've never heard of this movie. There seems to be many on this blog hop that I've escaped watching. :)

The Golden Eagle said...

Kimberly: You're welcome! :)

Susan: I'd never actually seen him before . . .

Yup. It was originally a TV show/series that aired in the UK.

Belle: It is. :)

Old Kitty: I hope you enjoy the movie! I think you'll like it.

Li: He's one of the creepier actors I've come across. LOL.

You're welcome!

That 20 Something Virgin: Sean Astin was the only one I'd heard of before--except for Christopher Lee, the narrator, who was Saruman from LOTR. :P

Julie: Tim Curry seems to be popular here. :)

Janet: You're very welcome!

Stephen: Anytime!

Thanks! You too.

Christine: I agree, from what I saw in this movie. :)

Su: Well, it's still September! Come on and join us. :D

I know I'll be rewatching it; it's a great movie!

Jennifer: Hope you enjoy it, if you watch it!

Paul: You are lucky to have Terry Pratchett on your side of the Atlantic. Discworld is amazing. :)

Melissa: Thanks!

Hope you like the movie. :)

Stuart: You're welcome!

I've never seen any of the other movies, but once I read the books I really want to see them!

kelworthfiles: Hello! :)

Thank you!

Be sure to read the other books in the series; I've only read a few, but they're even better than The Light Fantastic.

Sarah: I always thought of him as maybe thirty-ish, but not with white hair; though David Jason fits the part well!

Elizabeth: I want to read/see Hogfather; how can you beat DEATH?

Charles: It's a great movie. :)

Alleged: Awesome. I hope you enjoy it!

Kari: Read it--and watch the movie. It's quite fun to read the story and then see it onscreen. :)

Ciara: This one is one of the good ones--I'd recommend it!

mshatch said...

I had no idea they'd made a movie of this! It's going on my netflix list immediately. Thanks!