07 June, 2010

Book Review: Elsewhere

Title: Elsewhere
Author: Gabrielle Zevin
Genre: Paranormal
Page Count: 275
Rating: 3 out of 4
Cover Rating: 4 out of 5. It's clean and attractive, and I love the colors!

Back cover:

Dear Dr. Fujiyama,

   By now you have probably heard that I'm dead. This means I won't be attending this year's regional science fair, which is a great disappointment to me as I'm sure it also is for oyu. At the time I died, I felt I was starting to make read progress with those earthworms.
   I really enjoyed your class and continue to follow along from the place where I'm now living I now find myself. Dissecting the pig looked pretty interesting, and I thought I might try it. Unfortunately, there aren't any dead pigs here for me to dissect.
   I was disappointed not to see you at the funeral as you were my favorite teacher, even including middle and elementary school. Not to give you a hard time or anything, Dr. F.
   Yours,
        Elizabeth Marie Hall, 5th Period Biology
How can fifteen-year-old Liz let go of the only life she has ever known and embrace a new one? Is ist possible that a life lived in reverse is no different from a life lived forward?


The good: The narrative was orginal, the plot was very different from what you normally see, and the setting was intriguing. The characters had their quirks and attitudes, which put in more depth to the story. I enjoyed reading about living life backwards, and the "getting younger as you live longer" idea, which I'd never read about before. Some parts were amusing, and others sad. Some were a bit startling, and others were just strange, but in a pretty good way. I loved the dog part of it. :)

The bad: Even though it was interesting, Elsewhere is a very strange place. The whole Owen thing was also a little strange, but I suppose it worked out alright in the end.

*Note: It's not really serious, but there is a dead heroin OD-ing singer who is a bit strange. And there is one case where one of the characters half-says a bad word, but if you don't know the rest of it, it's not too bad.*

Do I recommend this book? I'm kind of indifferent. There were parts I liked, and parts I didn't like, but I suppose I would suggest it if it's one of the few interesting-looking books at the library. (which is what happened in my case.)

Another note: Don't forget to follow ~With Love and Kisses~ and get awarded for it! See post for June 5th to get the rest of the story.

-----The Golden Eagle

4 comments:

Icewolf said...

I remember that book! That creeped me out a little, but it was a good book. Especially the talking dog! :D

Olive Tree said...

I love that book! :)

Milli said...

I really liked this book! I actually reviewed it once:D And the heroin addict rockstar was one of my favs!

The Golden Eagle said...

Icewolf: Talking dogs are great all the way!

Olive Tree: Great!

Milli: Curtis does have appeal. I think he ended up alright, don't you?