06 February, 2011

Book Review: The Kneebone Boy



Title: The Kneebone Boy
Author: Ellen Potter
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Genre: Paranormal/MG/YA(? Could fit in either age group, really. I just found it in the YA section of my library.)
Page Count: 280
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
Cover Rating: 5 out of 5. I love the people on the front--they fit the characters in the story perfectly, and I do mean perfectly. (At least in my mind.) The colors are dark, which fits the whole atmosphere of the story, and the way the three siblings are looking straight at you matches their attitude. It's also creepy; notice that there are feet dangling down from the tree and that the cat has five legs.

Inside flap:
The Hardscrabble children are weird.Otto doesn't speak.Lucia is shamelessly candid.
And Max likes to sit on the roof of their house. 
Life in a small town can be pretty boring when everyone avoids you like the plague. But after their father unwittingly sends them to stay with an aunt who's away on holiday, the children take off on an adventure that ends in a peculiar season village where legend has it a monstrous creature lives who is half boy and half animal . . .

My expectations: Because of the cover, because of the intriguing blurb, and because I love Author Bio on the back flap, I expected a lot out of this book.


It went beyond my expectations.

About the book: Love. The characters are great, plot moves fast, and there's just something wonderfully mysterious about the whole book--it has a kind of charm that doesn't come up very often in YA literature.


The writing style is funny and quirky, and one of the more interesting things about it? The author actually states that she's breaking writing rules several times. There are instances where she'll explain that her English teacher told her NOT to do this and that, and then she'll proceed to do those very things. Usually, they would get in the way of the story, but the way it's presented is just so funny.


  • Plot:
There's a lot of mystery in this book. Their father goes off to--supposedly--paint portraits of royalty, their mother walked off one day and disappeared, people avoid them, and there are a lot of questions to be answered. At the beginning it also says the protagonists in the story hired the author to write it; that in itself marks it as something a little more individual.

The only thing I didn't really like is the ending. It's not bad, per se, but it's strange. I would have rated The Kneebone Boy a 5 out of 5 if the ending was different.


  • Characters:
Lucia (pronounced lu-CHEE-a) is my favorite character, aside from Otto. She's headstrong and determined, she's got lots of spunk, and she's strong when she needs to be.


Otto was quiet, but he was smart under that silence and a very intriguing character--the questions that come up at the beginning of the story are Why does he wear a scarf all the time? Why doesn't he speak? What does he really know about their mother? and it all serves to pull the reader in further.

Max was a great kid. Usual little-brother attitude, with his need to impress and show his older siblings that he can actually do things, but he was well-meaning and I he was very perceptive about many things.


  • Setting/Elements:

I love the setting in this book. It's strange, a little creepy, and mysterious which I love.

Other: Nothing. The ending was a bit strange, but, as far as I can recall, there were no references, there was no language, (if there was it was mild) and there isn't any violence.

Do I recommend this book? Yes! I highly recommend this book.

-----The Golden Eagle

19 comments:

Jemi Fraser said...

Wow - I haven't heard of this one before. Sounds like it would be perfect for my classroom - and for me :) thanks for the tip!!

John The Bookworm said...

Ooh, this looks REALLY good. I love quirky things and the cover is kind of western-anime style almost. Loves it.

Kate said...

I loved this book too. Completely cute and original. Glad to hear you liked it.

Old Kitty said...

Ooh the cover reminds me of the Village of the Damned children but the story is far from it!! A fab review and hopefully one book I'll come across here in the UK! Thank you! Take care
x

Caroline said...

That's so awesome!! I just got this out from the library a couple weeks back but hadn't gotten around to it. Now I definitely know I'm going to read it! Thanks, Eagle! =D

Heather said...

This sounds really good and I love that cover! Thanks for the review. I'll be picking this one up!

Brian said...

Sure sounds interesting, nothing like a good adventure!

Peaceful Reader said...

I only scanned your review because I have this book on my dresser, waiting for me to pick it up and read it. Your review makes me want to read it soon. I'm glad you liked it so much and I love it that the people on the cover match your vision. So often it happens the other way.

Misha said...

I had not heard about the book before. It sounds really fun! Thanks for the review!

Theresa Milstein said...

What an Addams Family kind of cover. 4.5 is high for you, so I'm putting this on my wishlist. Thanks!

Beth said...

This book sounds really interesting. This is the first time I've heard of it.

Misha said...

Never heard of this book, but it sounds about like something I would enjoy to read.

Quirky, and more than a little strange...

;-)

Nikola said...

That is a seriously cool book cover (reminds me a little of the Adams family!). :)

And after your rave review, it's definitely going to my TBR. :)

Sangu said...

Ooooh thanks for reviewing this, it sounds like such a fun book! Like you, I love the cover and it certainly hooks you, doesn't it?

I've found so many new, great books by reading blogs, it's such an awesome thing about the blogosphere!

mist of the blossom rain said...

Now THIS is my type of book for sure!

ali said...

Sweet! I am totally adding this to my TBR! Thanks Eagle!

The Golden Eagle said...

Jemi: Great!

You're welcome!

John: I noticed that about the cover style, too--part of what drew me in.

Kate: Glad to hear you liked it as well! :)

Old Kitty: Thank you!

I hope you do find it--it's worth the read!

Caroline: Your library has it too? :D

You're welcome! I hope you like The Kneebone Boy!

Heather: You're welcome! I hope you enjoy it. :)

Brian: Nope, nothing like adventure.

Peaceful Reader: I hope get around to reading it soon; it is a great book!

I know; it's sad, too, that covers end up so different from the book, a lot of the time.

Misha: It is a lot of fun! :)

Theresa: I've never heard of the Adams Family, but I just Googled it--you're right, it does look a lot like them!

You're welcome!

Beth: I hadn't heard of it when I took it out of the library; but I was intrigued, and the venture definitely paid off!

The Golden Eagle said...

Misha: I hope you get the chance to read The Kneebone Boy, then! :)

It is.

Nikola: I agree about the cover!

Hope you get to the chance to read it!

Sangu: It hooked me. :D

Definitely. I wouldn't know as much as I did if I wasn't on Blogger.

Emily: Awesome!

Ali: You're welcome! :)

Jen Chandler said...

I've seen this book reviewed on other sites and I MUST get it. It sounds fabulous.

There goes my TBR pile, growing higher and higher and higher...