30 March, 2011

Harry Potter Blogfest

The HP Blogfest "Who Would Be Your Mates?" is hosted by Michael Di Gesu at In Time . . ..

Some information from his blog:
It's quite simple. All you have to do is choose which two characters would be YOUR best mates at Hogwarts. You can use any student characters from any book. 
   Could it be Luna and Ginny? Or, perhaps Angelina Johnson and Alicia Spinnet? There a dozens of wonderful characters to pick. How about Lavender Brown and Parvarti Patil? Or, maybe you like the Weasleys.... Could you imagine having Fred and George as your best mates? Hmmm. Maybe I'll take them for me.
   After you choose your mates, then, all you have to do is write a fun little piece on why and what kind of trio would you be. It's that easy. Have FUN with this. Let's keep it between 300-350 words, so we can all read each others work. Sound COOL?


"Luna?" I ask.
   "Mmm?"
   "What are those?"
   "Snarlybotters."
   "And . . . do they do anything?" I bat at the little things, and they swerve in the air away from my hand.
   "Don't be ridiculous," Hermione says, sitting down on a bench nearby. "They're just dust motes."
   I shrug. Luna goes back to reading The Quibbler, and we sit there quietly in the courtyard. I hear a lone bird twittering in the distance while I bend over my Defense Against the Dark Arts textbook, and suddenly Luna stands up.
   "I'm going to see the Thestrals," she says, starting to walk away.
   Hermione glances up at her, but says nothing.
   "Come on, Hermione. We can study down there," I say.
   She gathers up the books and we walk, passing other students as we head toward the forest. Our black uniforms swish behind us, and I loosen my collar. It's a warm day.
   When we reach the forest, Luna stops and throws something onto the ground. Hermione and I watch as it disappears in midair, swallowed up by something we can't see.
   I jump back as something hard and smooth touches my hand. Luna's smiling, so I gently raise it up to feel the contours of a Thestral face. It feels like a young one, maybe a foal or something--I stroke its head for a moment, and then it wanders off in some direction.
   We stand there for a while, and I have to say it's peaceful as Luna feeds the Thestrals and Hermione flips through her books.
   For a moment, I glance back at the towering shape of Hogwarts, and smile. I love it at the school.

*****

How about you? What characters would you, or did you (if you're part of the blogfest) pick?


-----The Golden Eagle

33 comments:

Hart Johnson said...

Oh, great choices! I adore Luna. I had a bit of a rival at school who was sort of like Hermione, so I probably wouldn't have picked her (even though I love her with Harry and Ron) but yeah... Luna's cool... (though not in that tradition way that I find 'uncool')

Charles Gramlich said...

This would be cool to have time to take part. Too much going on at work right now, though. Great exercise.

Laurel Garver said...

Girl power! I'd love hanging out with these two also. And I thoroughly enjoyed your slice-of-life vignette approach to the prompt. Thestrals are the coolest.

....Petty Witter said...

A great piece, you are so very creative. I would have to pick Moaning Myrtle(?) the ghost who haunts the toilets as I think she could do with a friend and Luna as she is even paler than me and would make me look quite healthy in comparison.

Thanks for a great theme, I hope you don't mind my posting about it on my blog - I will of course mention both you and michael.

Jules said...

Wonderful read Golden but I don't or haven't done Potter. But I sure have had fun reading these :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

AllMyPosts said...

Wow!! Cool post!! You really bring back memories of Harry Potter's first year!!

And about my friends?? Why don't you read it on my blog ???


with warm regards
http://becomingprince.blogspot.com

N. R. Williams said...

Sweet entry. It's fun going around and reading every one's take. They are all so different.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, The Treasures of Carmelidrium.

Colene Murphy said...

Awesome choices! Two very cool girls!

Heather M. Gardner said...

And to have such opposites in friends is fun too. I may have gotten along with Hermione but I would have thought Luna was a nutbar and robbed myself of a good friend.
Great job.
HMG

mist of the blossom rain said...

I love Luna! I think I would pick her, Ginny, or Hermione.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi, Golden,

Wonderful set up of three friends gathering together for a quick romp in the Forbidden Forest.

Your ease of writing flows right into the scene and I really enjoyed watching it.

Thanks so much for joining in on the fun.


Michael

Tony Benson said...

Fabulously written. I loved your entry. I think Luna and Hermione would make great friends.

Robyn Campbell said...

Great writing! A very inspired piece of writing, Eagle. :) I wasn't a part of this one, though I wish I had been.

Heather said...

Great choices! Hermione and Luna are two of my favorite HP characters for sure! Your entry is a fun reminder of exactly why. Loved it! :)

Carol Riggs said...

Very nice! Luna is very intriguing, and Hermione would be a good balance for her. ;o) Happy Wednesday!

Tere Kirkland said...

Yeah, I'd probably be friends with the Weasley twins. They'd make me laugh, and the times we'd have roaming the halls with the Marauder's Map. (I would've been pissed they gave it to Harry, though)

I had mostly guy friends in school, so I'd be hanging out with them and Lee Jordan at lunch, unless I wound up in Ravenclaw. ;)

Love your story!

Laura said...

Good choices and a lovely read!
Lx

Marsha A. Moore said...

Love Luna's way with Thestrals. Your dialog did a great job capturing their original voices.

Pk Hrezo said...

Total girl power!! I love it. Who wouldn't want Hermione and Luna as best friends. They're my heros!
Rock on, Eagle. :)

Bess Weatherby said...

Aw, I love this. Such a sweet and simple moment between friends.

Old Kitty said...

Awwwww this is actually so sweet and gentle and lovely!! Lovely to bestest mates with Luna and Hermione! You really captured a fab feeling of friendship and shared female kinship here!! Yay! take care
x

Abby Minard said...

That was great! I saw Luna and Hermoine on someone else's blog. They're pretty popular. I love Luna- she's so quirky and original.

Susan Fobes said...

I don't know if I would want to pet Threstrals with Luna or not, but she does know how to get your attention. Nice story!

ali said...

This is fantastic! I love how you made your own fan fiction here, it's so good!

And I *love* Luna.

Marie Rearden said...

Hermione and Luna, huh? Great choices. Totally grounded, a bit cooky, and you as the middle ground. :) I love Thestrals!

Thanks for sharing.

Marie at the Cheetah

Carrie said...

Great choices and gorgeous entry!

Monica said...

Found you from the A-Z Challenge, it sounds like it’s going to be so much fun and I can’t wait to get started!! I’m now following your blog on GFC and I hope you have a chance to check out my blog and maybe follow me back!!
Monica
http://oldermommystillyummy.blogspot.com/

Margo Benson said...

A lovely piece of writing - I chose Luna too! You created a great scene there with the Thestrals.

Tiger85 said...

Great post, I like those to as well but I'd have to choose Fred and George Weasley. Those to are just to funny not to be friends with. They are a little much but brilliant. =)

http://tigeronmybookshelf.blogspot.com/

The Golden Eagle said...

Hart: Thanks!

I agree, Hermione can be a bit much--but she's still one of my favorite characters. :)

Cool can unfortunately be uncool, I agree.

Charles: That's too bad!

It was fun to write. :D

Laurel: I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

They're one of my favorite invented creatures; and they looked so cool in the movie.

Tracy: Thank you!

Moaning Myrtle--great choice! She's a fascinating character.

You're welcome! I certainly don't mind. :D

Jules: I'm glad you liked it!

You haven't read HP?

Abhishek: Thank you!

I'll definitely check out your post.

Nancy: Thanks!

I still have to get around to everyone, since I was gone most of yesterday.

Colene: Thank you! :)

Heather: Luna's very different at first encounter--but she's such a great character once you learn more about her. I probably would have done something similar. :P

Thank you!

Emily: Ginny's an okay character--I don't know why, but I never felt really attached to her.

Michael: Thank you! I'm glad you liked my entry. :)

You're welcome--this blogfest is a lot of fun!

Tony: Thank you so much!

J.K. Rowling said that Luna was an "anti-Hermione"; despite that, I still think they could get along.

The Golden Eagle said...

Robyn: Thank you! :)

Heather: Thanks! I'm glad you liked it.

Carol: Thank you!

Tere: They're awesome. Lee Jordan, too--even though he just doesn't listen to McGonagall. ;D

Glad you liked it!

Laura: Thank you! :)

Marsha: Thank you--sometimes it's intimidating to write something like this, what with the characters' popularity.

Pk: Glad you enjoyed it! :)

Thanks!

Bess: I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Old Kitty: Thank you! I'm glad you liked my entry. :)

Abby: Thanks!

She is. :D

Susan: They always fascinated me; Thestrals and hippogriffs are some of my favorite creatures after reading HP.

Thanks!

Ali: Thank you!

Marie: Thanks!

You're welcome--I'm glad you liked it!

Carrie: Thank you!

Monica: Hi there! Welcome to The Eagle's Aerial Perspective. :) Thank you so much for following--I followed you back.

I'm excited about the Challenge as well. :D

Margo: Thank you! :)

Tiger: Thanks!

Agreed. They're great characters.

Rachel Morgan said...

Ah, that produces such a feeling of... contentedness :-) What a lovely scene.

Deniz Bevan said...

Love your entry. Gosh, I wish I was a student at Hogwarts too.