31 March, 2011

A Final Wrap-Up Post Before The Madness Begins

As for the madness . . . I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. The A-Z April Blogging Challenge begins tomorrow--the day 865 (or so) people post starting with the letter "A".




865. If you divide that by 30, you get 28.8333333. So to keep up with just 865 and comment once on each, you'd have to visit 28+ blogs a day.

My plan is to get to around 30 blogs per day, keep up with as many bloggers that I already know as I can, (I probably won't get around to everyone--if you don't see me, no, I haven't forgotten about you!), and finish scheduling posts. I had wanted to have all 26 done by today, but instead I have something like 17. Now my goal is to finish them by the end of first week. Thankfully, I have Sunday to type like crazy.

And now, wrap-up time!:


. . . from Tyrean Martinson. Thank you so much for this award, Tyrean!

*****


Coolness. It's free (free, everyone!) software from Oracle, with Writer, (MS equivalent: Word) Base, (Access) Calc, (Calculator) Draw, (Publisher) Math, (Equation Editor) and Impress (PowerPoint), and available for Linux, Mac OS, Windows, Solaris, and some others. My mom wanted to download Base for database management, and the whole pack came with it. Basically, OpenOffice has fewer options, looks like an old version of Microsoft--but it works. Hurray!


*****
  • Death by PowerPoint. I couldn't help posting this. It's just too funny (and kind of disturbing).

Apparently, Death by PowerPoint can also be called "PowerPoint Poisoning" and "PowerPoint Hell". Retired Marine Colonel Thomas X Hammes called it "hypnotizing chickens" when the program is used to make presentations that are overly-complicated and tedious, such as during press briefings. (Guess he doesn't enjoy the press.)

The Wikipedia article also says there is even such a thing as a "PowerPoint Ranger"; i.e. "a military member who relies heavily on presentation software to the point of excess". In addition, a Colonel was fired for criticizing the dependence on the "presentation method". One Russian said "If we ever had a war, while you are working on your Power Point, we would be killing you."


Yeah . . . is there something fishy there, or is it just me?


*****

For those participating in the Challenge, I hope you all have fun, and I look forward to reading your posts!

For those not participating in the Challenge, (hey, you can still sign up, if you haven't been terrified by that huge number of blogs) I also look forward to reading your posts, which I will do my best to keep up with while I tackle the aforementioned list!

See you in April, everyone!

-----The Golden Eagle
Enhanced by Zemanta

26 comments:

mist of the blossom rain said...

Ha! Death by Power Point. I am going to check the challenge out, sounds like a...challenge.:)

Colene Murphy said...

Haha! Thanks for the funnies! Good luck on the challenge!!

IanBontems said...

Ha! I've been on those Power Point-led courses where it's just a guy reading the slide back to you *yawn.

I'm not taking part in the A-Z (far too much of a wimp for that!), but I will be checking out as many of the blogs as I can.

Good luck everyone!

M.J. Fifield said...

I tried using the open office software in the past and I just didn't like it, even if it was free. I've never used Power Point though. Never had a need to.

Good luck with the A to Z challenge. I can't believe how many people have signed up for it. I have no idea how I'm going to get to everyone. Fortunately, I don't sleep very much so I think that'll help.

M.J. Fifield
My Pet Blog

Rachel Morgan said...

What's kinda disturbing is that I'm working on a powerpoint presentation RIGHT NOW that I'm giving on Saturday morning!

(I this is a sign... it's telling me not to overload and make things complicated!)

Francine Howarth said...

Hi,

Good luck tomorrow - let the madness begin!

I'm going to try to get around 10 new random selected blogs plus old-timers on alternate days! ;)

best
F

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Keeping up with regulars who aren't participating will be tough!

N. R. Williams said...

Ugh...over 800! I feel a headache coming on. Well, obviously, I can't get to that many and will have to do even fewer than you because I must continue work on my current WIP.

That's for the link...I hope it is super easy for this computer challenged human.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, The Treasures of Carmelidrium.

Carole Anne Carr said...

How very clever of you and how organized, I'm afraid I'll be just about holding my own, day by day.

Simon Kewin said...

Best of luck with the challenge! I can only admire you from the sidelines!

Ricky said...

Bring on the challenge !

Old Kitty said...

Death by powerpoint!! LOL!!! That's for real right!??! LOL!!

GOOD LUCK with the A-Z=ing!!!!! I've already seen two fab bloggers starting - Woon N Nuts and Sharon K Mayhew!!! It's begun, the madness is here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yay!!! Take care
x

Hannah Kincade said...

Let it begin!! Good luck to us all!! :D

Jules said...

LOL, death by power point, for sure. I have exactly 2, count them 2 posts ready. See ya Friday.
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

li said...

I've gotten through 185 initial views of blogs from the list in March. (Yes, I counted. OCD!)I'm now more overwhelmed by the idea of reading/commenting than I am writing my own!

Liz P said...

Good luck tomorrow!

I thought writing up the posts was going to be the challenge. Now it's just getting around to everyone! Should be a lot of fun though. :)

Milo James Fowler said...

I've considered using Open Office, but since I already have Office 2007 installed...

Have fun with A to Z; my theme will be: Short Story Markets (from A to Z, of course).

Lynda R Young said...

Being an Aussie, I'm ahead of my time so I've started the challenge already :)

Edith F. said...

Cheers for OO.o (as the Linux community often calls OpenOffice.org). Since I'm a Linux user it was a lifesaver for me. It's the best free thing going.

I am highly intrigued by all this A-Zing. ; )

~Edith

Alleged Author said...

I'm actually quite scare to participate in that challenge because state testing starts next week. :( I'll be tearing my hair out from fear that I didn't help the kids enough. Have so much fun! I'll be reading everything!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Open Office .. looks interesting - and the Death by Power Point .. couldn't agree more ...

A - Z here we are .. have fun .. I know I am .. cheers Hilary

....Petty Witter said...

Sounds like fun - I wouldn't finding posting every day a challenge but would find it difficult to keep up the A - B- C theme. Anyway good luck to you and everyone else who takes part.

The Golden Eagle said...

Emily: Glad to hear you joined on!

Colene: You're welcome!

Thanks. :)

Ian: I've never been a victim--luckily!

Sure you won't join in?

M.J.: It is a bit harder to navigate than MS, and it doesn't have as many options.

Thank you!

I got through 60 today--double what I expected, to hurray!

Rachel: I hope all goes well with your presentation! :)

Francine: Thank you!

Good plan.

Alex: True--but I don't like cutting out bloggers I already know. A lot of them are participating, luckily. :)

Nancy: And now it's over 1000!

You're welcome! Hope it comes in handy. :)

Carole: It sounds more organized that it actually will be--most of my blogging will be kamikaze-style jumping. :P

Simon: Thank you!

Ricky: Totally. :D

Old Kitty: Yup, it's for real!

And it's hard to believe it will continue on . . . for an entire month!

Hannah: Good luck!

The Golden Eagle said...

Jules: You've been through PowerPoint, I suppose?

Well, on-the-fly posts are great. :D

Li: I went through some in March, too--only I did very little commenting, so I'm not counting them.

Liz: Thank you!

I had a lot of fun today. :)

Milo: Same here. Now the computer has OpenOffice AND Microsoft--perhaps it's a little redundant, but you never know when you might need one . . .

Sounds great!

Lynda: Wow. :D

Edith: I've never used Linux--just Windows, and Mac OS a few times (which I don't particularly remember).

Are you going to sign up? :)

Alleged: Thank you!

I hope the testing goes well. :)

Hilary: It's been fun for me, too! :)

Tracy: Thank you!

True--it's hard to stick to the alphabet! But that's the Challenge, I suppose. :)

Edith F. said...

Linux is awesome. Most of the distributions are free and there's a ton of high-quality free software available. It does require more expertise, though.

Unfortunately I don't have time for a post every day, but I'm looking forward to seeing y'all tackle the A-Z Challenge!

~Edith

Adina West said...

Wow! It's going to be a busy month for all you A-Zers, so thanks for dropping by my blog to say hi before you got totally run off your feet!

Love the way the images for your astrophysics post look against your black background by the way...