20 January, 2011

Interview With Galen from The Treasures of Carmelidrium by N. R. Williams

Today I have an interview with Galen, a character from The Treasures of Carmelidrium by N. R. Williams!

Here we go:

Interview with Galen, Scout of Gil-Lael.

Thank you, Golden Eagle, for allowing me to enter the eagles world of your blog with my book tour for “The Treasures of Carmelidrium.” There are golden eagles in my story but that's a different topic altogether.

For those who don't know: yesterday our interviewer was captured and made into Renwyk's slave. He's the villain. It was a scary moment. I quickly got out of the computer so he wouldn't discover me recording the whole thing. If you want to read about it go to Colene Murphy at The Journey: http://cejourney.blogspot.com/


I don't anticipate any problems today.

Q. Galen, can you explain what it is to be a “Scout of Gil-Lael?”
Galen: One must submit to many test to pass from a common soldier and become a scout. You must be able to travel over the land without leaving a trace. You must be able to track the enemy. You must be able to survive on the land and travel without sleep if needed. It is the highest honor a soldier can achieve other than commanding officer.

Q. What is the difference between an officer and a scout?
Galen: An officer doesn't need the same skills as a scout and must be able to read.

Q. Is reading a problem for most people in Gil-Lael?
Galen: Not everyone has the money to learn to read. However, I have heard that Prince Healden intends to change that when he inherits the throne.
(Healden is pronounced with a silent “a” like Hel-don).

Q. Can you read?
Galen: Oui, I was fortunate to have a caring teacher who visited the orphanage where I grew up.

Q. You are an orphan. What happened?
Galen: Both my parents died when I was young.

Q. I've heard rumors about you. Some believe you are half elf. Is that true?
Galen: I know not. But I do have green eyes like the elves. I am not as short as an elf, nor do I have pointed ears. But I seem to have a remarkable talent to be as quiet as a frozen deer watching her pray and preparing to flee.

Q. What are your goals in life?
Galen: I had not thought of it in those terms. I will continue to serve the royal family and do all I can for my home of Gil-Lael.

An older man, who I assume was Galen's commanding officer stepped up, and demanded that Galen to leave with him. Our interview was cut short.

Nancy: I'll be stopping by all day to answer your questions. Thanks for coming by on my tour. Remember, I'm giving away 3 e-books those who leave a comment with their e-mail.
N. R. Williams (Nancy)

*****

Here's the blurb for The Treasures of Carmelidrium:
When a hooded man steps in front of her car, Missie is thrust through a portal into a medieval world where she encounters monsters and mythical creatures. Here her flute has magical powers to heal and destroy and to empower "The Treasures of Carmelidrium." She is romanced by a prince and hunted by the villain. Will she find her way home? Does she want to?

The fantastic cover:


About the Author:


N. R. Williams lives in Colorado, U.S.A. with her husband. She is delighted to have two three year old grandchildren, cousins. She’s a long time member of Rocky Mountain Fiction Writers and has been privileged to attend conferences and workshops. Since her formative years, she’s been inventing fantastical stories and since she could spell she’s been writing them down. While she majored in art in college, she didn’t make a living at it. Now, she uses her skills of observation to create fantastical worlds, interesting characters and stories that touch the heart.

*****

Thank you so much for the chance to learn more about Galen and your book, Nancy!


-----The Golden Eagle

41 comments:

Tony Benson said...

Hi Golden Eagle.

Hi Nancy. Another interesting interview, thank you. I think Galen likes to be a bit mysterious, and likes you to think he's impressive. Not as scary as Renwyk though - maybe Galen would help me out if I met Renwyk in a dark alley.
bcd_tony@yahoo.com

Margo Benson said...

Hello Golden Eagle, hello Nancy!

Another interesting interview with a character. Galen sounds loyal, serious and strong (I think I also feel that from past connotations with Galen from 'Planet of the Apes'!) He's obviously proud of his position and accomplishments and I would feel safe with him on the page....that is, assuming he's one of the good guys!
margo.benson@yahoo.co.uk

Thank you both for dropping by my blog yesterday :-)

mist of the blossom rain said...

I love the way Galen answers the questions--so poised, and humble.

Joanne said...

I like the idea of interviewing the actual character. It really gives us a feel for the "voice" of the book. Is Voice something you consciously consider as you create the characters in your story?

Carol Kilgore said...

I rarely read fantasy, but I loved this interview with a character in the story. Very cool.

gideon 86 said...

Hi, Golden, Hi Nancy,

What a wonderful and sweet character Galen is.

There's an interesting twist of fate in his life.

Nancy you sneaky author you ...

Intrigued?

You should be.

Michael

Summer Ross said...

Galen is a great character, I really enjoyed this interview with him.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Scouts don't read? How is Galen going to read your book?

Misha said...

I haven't read the book but reading the character interview was really interesting. Thanks!

N. R. Williams said...

Greetings fellow bloggers. I'm about to read all your comments but before I do I want to tell Golden how honored I am that she has hosted me. I'm a little late this morning, so I'm sorry about that.

Here we go.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, fantasy author

N. R. Williams said...

I think you might be right about that Tony, Galen is a scout of Gil-Lael. You left your email so I've entered you in the contest.

Hi Margo, you're welcome, I like your blog. Galen doesn't know anything about the "Planet of the Apes," and this author forgot all about the ape character. I just love the name. You also left your email so I've got you entered into the contest.

Thank you Mist. You have an intriguing name too.

That is a good question Joanne. When I write a story I try to stay true to each character. If I am in their POV I give them a unique voice. At least I hope I do. So far I've had no complaints on that end.

On Feb. 1, I will draw the names of the winners and post them on my blog. But I will also answer all the questions that you have asked to be sure everyone has a chance to learn more.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, fantasy author

N. R. Williams said...

Hi Carol, I hope you decide to read my fantasy novel, "The Treasures of Carmelidrium." I deliberately wrote it in a way that all readers could enjoy it.

That is the idea Michael. To give the flavor of the book and the characters who inhabit it.

Thank you Summer. In truth, Galen is one of my favorite characters. Not the only one of course.

Alex, Galen can read. However, my book is in this world and not in his. In Galen's world, he lives the story.

Nice to see you Misha. I hope all your studies are going well. When you have time, I hope you will read the book.

In other news, smashwords has approved "The Treasures of Carmelidrium," for submission to other stores. You will soon see it as an ebook at Barnes & Nobles and at the iBookstore.

I'll be back soon.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, fantasy author

Charles Gramlich said...

Interesting interview. Does sound like an interesting character.

W.B. said...

This character sounds very cool! It looks like N.R. Williams wrote an impressive novel. :)

Great interview! I enjoyed reading it.

N. R. Williams said...

Thank you, Charles.

I'm glad you enjoyed reading about, Galen, W.B.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, fantasy author

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

very cool interview!!

Rachel Morgan said...

I love this idea of interviewing characters :-) They really come alive! Galen is obviously a nicer dude than Renwyk (though Renwyk's interview really made me laugh!).

rachelmorganwrites[at]gmail[dot]com

Hannah Kincade said...

Great interview! I haven't heard of this one so I'll have to add it to my list.

N. R. Williams said...

Thank you Carrie.

I think you might be right about that Rachel. You left your email address so you are in the contest to win a free e-book.

I'm honored to be on your TBR list Hannah.

Thank you all. If you want more chances to win an e-book, I have the complete tour on my blog post and I update the URL's as I go so when you click the link your taken to the post. I check them everyday to be sure I catch all the comments.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, fantasy author

Brian said...

Thanks for telling us about another great cast of characters!!!

N. R. Williams said...

Thank you Brian.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, fantasy author

Helen Ginger said...

You seem to have very interesting characters. Getting introduced to them here is enticing.

And I do love the book cover.

Clarissa Draper said...

Wow, a notable feat indeed. To read is so important! Great interview, Galen.

Monti said...

Thanks, Nancy and Golden, for this enlightening interview with Galen. It's great that you are doing an intensive blog book tour. Hope it's going just as planned.

Monti

NotesAlongTheWay

N. R. Williams said...

I love the book cover too Helen.

Yes, to read is soooo important even in Gil-Lael, Clarissa.

Hi Monti, hope you will pick up the book, I think you would enjoy it.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, fantasy author

Old Kitty said...

Galen sounds like an honourable decent character!!! I like him a lot!!!! I'm glad he had a kind teacher who taught him how to read!! I hope he uses this power well!! :-)

Thanks for a fun interview, NR Williams and thanks Golden Eagle for hosting!! Take care
x

L'Aussie said...

Hello Golden Eagle. Thank you for hosting Nancy. This was a great interview. I like the sound of Galen.

This is a great blog tour.

Denise :)

N. R. Williams said...

Thank you Little Kitty and Denise. I appreciate you stopping by, reading and leaving a comment.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, fantasy author

Rachael Harrie said...

What an intriguing character interview :)

Rach

Holly Ruggiero said...

I’ve really been enjoying these interviews!

Milo James Fowler said...

Very cool take on interviewing! I wonder how many authors would rather have their characters interviewed than themselves?

Donea Lee said...

Good morning Golden Eagle/Nancy - I've so enjoyed this blog tour. Interviewing the characters is just wonderful! I also enjoyed learning a bit more about Nancy. Thanks for sharing ~ :)

Talei said...

Very cool. What a great way to get to meet your character! ;)

The Golden Eagle said...

Tony: Hi there!

Glad you liked the interview!

Margo: Thanks for coming by!

Emily: He seems like an interesting character, doesn't he?

Joanne: Hi Joanne! :)

Carol: I'm glad you liked it, Carol!

Michael: Hi!

She is, isn't she? ;D

Summer: Glad you liked it!

Alex: I suppose it would be interesting to read your own story!

Misha: I'm glad you enjoyed the interview!

Nancy: I'm honored that you're here. This has been such a great experience!

The Golden Eagle said...

Charles: Thanks for coming by!

W.B.: I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Carrie: Glad you liked it, Carrie! :)

Rachel: Much nicer! I'm glad I wasn't there when Colene was taken by Renwyk. ;)

Hannah: Glad you liked it!

Brian: You're welcome! Thanks for coming by. :)

Helen: I agree--the cover is amazing!

Clarissa: It must be hard to go without being able to read . . .

Monti: You're very welcome. :)

It's been a great blog tour!

Old Kitty: I like him too!

The Golden Eagle said...

Denise: I'm glad you enjoyed the interview!

Rachael: Galen is a great character. :)

Holly: I'm glad to hear that!

Milo: I don't know . . . but it would probably be an interesting number!

Donea: Glad to hear you've been enjoying it! :)

Talei: I agree!

N. R. Williams said...

Thank you Rachel.

Hi Holly, did I ever tell you how much I love that bear?

Hi Milo, I suspect a lot of authors would prefer a character interview. I started the blog book tour with my own interview and thought it would be much more enjoyable for my followers to hear about other things in the book and about the process. I am glad to meet you.

Hello Donna, I am thrilled that you're enjoying the blog book tour.

It is a good way to get more into your characters POV, Taeli.

Thank you Golden for hosting me, it has been a blast and I will continue to stop by during the tour to see if there are any late comments to this interview.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, fantasy author

Dancing Through Life said...

I must disagree with the fact that being homeschooled makes it easier to find to to blog...this theory seems not to work for me!

The Golden Eagle said...

Did you mean my answer from my other post?
It's too bad that you don't have more time to blog--you must have a busier schedule than I do. :P

Jeffrey Beesler said...

This is a great interview with another wonderful character from Nancy's world!

jeffreybeesler (at) gmail (dot)com

N. R. Williams said...

Thanks Jeffrey and thanks for making the rounds and reading all my post. It means a lot to me.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, fantasy author