21 January, 2011

You Asked--And Here Are My Answers!

Last week--for my 400th post--I sent out a call for questions, and here are what people asked:

Summer Ross asked: Do you believe in love at first sight?

Depends on what you mean by love. If you mean attraction, then sure. How else would humans get on in this world if they weren't attracted to each other? But if you mean a deep, soulful connection in which two people share an instant bond . . . no.

Which do you believe came first the chicken or the egg?

The egg. My theory is that if an animal that looked vaguely like a chicken produced something that looked even more like a chicken, the egg would be the source of the chicken because it was closer down the evolutionary lines.

Brian asked: Your profile says you are also a musician, so what music do you play?

I play the violin and piano, and it's mostly classical. Beethoven. Bach. Accolay. Vivaldi. Clementi. Those people. :)

~Nicole Duclerior~ asked: Are you known to carry around a notebook for jotting down story or character ideas as they come to you?

No. Notebooks, I find, are too hard to get organized. I have to flip through pages and search for things. (I like electronics--CTRL+F is so easy) But I do have a small box where I keep a stack of notes with things that  struck me at some point and that might inspire/help later on in my writing.

What's your favorite way to capture such inspiration if you don't have a notebook handy?

Memory, and if that fails, scribbling it onto the back of my hand.

(So okay, maybe I've never been forced to go to such desperate lengths. But I would be willing to try it.)

Malcolm asked: How do you fit all these posts into the rest of your life?

Thanks to being homeschooled, it's fairly easy to find at least some time to blog every day.

Do you blog and comment on a schedule, randomly or whenever you need a break from everything else?

I try to stick to a schedule (or at least something that passes for one) but sometimes I'll blog just because I feel like it, usually when my writing isn't going so well or I need a break from other things I'm doing.

Robyn asked: Coffee or tea?

Tea, since it smells a lot better to me than coffee (I've never had coffee).

Dark chocolate or white chocolate?

I don't like chocolate.

And the most important question, I know you write science fiction. Have you always written it? Or have you written other stuff as well? Do tell!

I started writing SF because I finished reading a novel where I absolutely LOVED the world the author had built. I didn't really like the characters, and I didn't really like the plot (despite the fact I wrote an essay on the book) but the world really cinched it for me--and then I thought "Hey! Maybe I could try writing something like that!"

As for other genres, I've written Fantasy, Paranormal, Contemporary Fiction, Dystopian Fiction, Mystery, Adventure, YA, MG, and Historical Fiction.

Mist of the blossom rain asked: Do you ever go back and look at your earlier posts?

If I'm in the mood for cringing, laughing, and shaking my head at myself. I can't believe some of my earlier posts. :P

Amanda the Aspiring asked: Why the Eagle's Aerie/what prompted this name?

I wanted something that said ME, and I wanted it to be unique, so no one would confuse it with another name. I considered "The Dragon Scroll" (I love dragons) and "An Eagle's Clifftop View" (close, but not quite) and eventually settled on "The Eagle's Aerial Perspective". (I also considered many possible pseudonyms, like The Golden Dragon, The Sea Eagle, names like that.)

What's your favorite book of all time?

My favorite book of all time? THAT IS AN EVIL QUESTION. But if pressed . . . my favorite book of all time is the dictionary. It's very helpful. And I can find out so much by just opening to a single page.

Edith F. asked:

What is your favorite font for working on stories with?

Right now that would be Eurostile. Here is an example of the oh-so-awesome Eurostile:

After being close to unconscious for over a month, Crew C3 watched him closely to make sure nothing drastic occurred.

   His eyes opened, and he stared at the white ceiling for a long time, getting his bearings. He shifted and flexed his hands, paying attention to every movement. 

(And before you ask . . . yes, that is actually part of my WIP.)

Single-space or double-space when you're drafting?

Single-space. I despise double-space.

Old Kitty asked: Who is/are your favourite author or authors? (top 5!)

Only 5?! *sigh*

Frank Beddor
Eoin Colfer
Khaled Hosseini
Catherine Jinks
Trenton Lee Stewart

(I could bring up so many more, but that’s what I could think of at the moment.)

Jules asked: 2 favorites, song and quote?

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow, learn as if you were to live forever"--Mahatma Ghandi.

OR:

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read"--Groucho Marx.

I don't listen to that many songs, really. Most of the music I listen to is instrumental. But how about "Windy"?

Liz Pezzuto asked: What's the one book (that is, already written by another author) that you wished you had written?

Oh, good question! I suppose Harry Potter would be the obvious answer here, but I wouldn't really want to be known for writing that book, much as I love it.

I really wish I had written The Kite Runner. (The writing is amazing, the plot has the ever-shocking twist, and the characters are wonderful. It made me sniffle a bit at the end, too.)

N. R. Williams, Sharon K. Mayhew, and Carol Kilgore all wanted to know what my first name is.

I suppose I neglected to tell you that I'm under surveillance by the FBI and an undercover agent to boot, so I can't divulge that information.

(AKA I'd rather keep my identity private. Not that I think you're all out to get me, but you never know online . . . and even though a first name doesn't tell you much compared to a last name, I'm going to continue to make sure I’m known as just The Golden Eagle.)

Alex J. Cavanaugh asked: I remember reading that you are not over 18. Really?

Really, dude.

Mason Canyon asked: What part of the U.S. do you live in?

I live above the 30-degree latitude and below the 50-degree latitude.

Jai Joshi asked: If you were a tree then what tree would you be?

Mangrove.

Laughingwolf asked: What is your fave recipe [you like preparing]?

I don't do much cooking, actually. But I love making bread, and there are these rolls with rice flour/honey topping that my mom came up with, and they are excellent.

Milo James Fowler asked: From one homeschool-survivor to another: How do you socialize in the real world?

(Another homeschooler! Awesome.)


Dance, basically. I've been doing it for over 8 years now.

The Words Crafter asked: I know you love science shows like Discovery Channel (me, too) and NOVA. Is there a tv show that you watch that has no redeeming value other than you simply enjoy it? Or a movie? Or a book?


The movie of The Princess Diaries has no redeeming value, right? I love watching that move . . .

Brave Chickens asked: Which Harry Potter ability would you love to have?


Besides being magical? :D

Hermione or Luna? Which character do you like more?


I love Luna even more in the movies (at least from what I've seen) than I do in the book, but Hermione's amazing in her own way . . . ack. Neither, I guess!

Shaynie asked: You are a girl ;), and you seem to enjoy a lot of stuff that many girls do not enjoy, such as science and math (stereotypical, I know, but that is just how it seems to be!). So, my question is, do you also like to do girly stuff? Like clothes, shopping, makeup, jewelry, etc.?


I love dancing--and, in particular, ballet. What gets girlier than pink satin shoes and ribbons and skirts and tutus? (Yes, I have worn tutus.)


I also love knitting, weaving, and latch hook, and beading can be fun.

Joanna asked: I was going to ask if you are a girl or a boy but most bloggers seem to have you pegged as a girl, so are you a girl?


Yup!

How do you find time to blog and comment?


I do it in rotation, mostly--I'll post one day, visit a few blogs, then not post the next and try to get through all the backlog on the Dashboard. (I don't use Google Reader, since I always found it difficult.)


*****


Well, there you have it, everyone! *whew* Thanks for asking, everyone! It was fun coming up with answers.


Anything else? :)


-----The Golden Eagle

48 comments:

Maria McKenzie said...

Wow! Loved learning all those cool things about you! But--you really don't like chocolate? Not even white chocolate, that's not really even chocolate? Okay, I'll try to move past that;).

Sun Singer said...

Wow, lots of questions, lots of answers, and that means something fun to read online today.

Malcolm

Heather said...

The violin, wow, that is awesome. It is one of my all time favorites to listen to, alas I have no talent with it. I love why you chose your name too, originality is what it's all about!These are a blast to read, thanks for posting them!

Hannah Kincade said...

I had no idea that you were under 18. Huh. No one ever guesses my age either. Huzzah!

....Petty Witter said...

You don't like chocolate?

Some great questios and answers - especialy that first one about love at first sight - but you don't like chocolate?

C. N. Nevets said...

Mangrove: AWWWWWW YEAH

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Well, my question had a short answer. Maybe the shortest. Do I win anything?

Margo Benson said...

What a great post - it's lovely finding out a little more about you. You sound way more together than I was at under 18, mind you we'd only just left vinyl for CDs!

I'd say you're in the minority with the chocolate thing!

Elena Solodow said...

I have a question - hope it's not too personal. Being homeschooled, do you feel at a disadvantage to write in a high school setting, or do you feel that pop culture provides enough information?

mist of the blossom rain said...

Your a very interesting person! I loved learning about your favorite quotes and such. very tough questions, but answered very well!

N. R. Williams said...

Loved your answers except that you didn't answer mine. I don't think there is anything to fear, but I do respect your privacy. Classical music, ballet, I can see this thread woven into a magnificent sci fi. Maybe someday right?
Nancy
N. R. Williams, fantasy author

Janet Johnson said...

Wow, impressive list of questions! So fun to learn a little more about you. Learning to play the violin is on my to-do list for sure.

Shelley said...

Nice answers! And interesting, and some random, questions! :) I liked reading the part about how you chose your bloggy name!

Amanda the Aspiring said...

The dictionary? Cop out! Just kidding. I probably would've said the thesaurus. =)

As for coffee...you have not lived! Americanos with cream + Irish Cream syrup is where it's at. Though tea is also awesome. ^_^

Arlee Bird said...

Too bad more young people aren't more like you. And you have excellent musical tastes. "Windy"? How many people below the age of forty even know that song?

Lee
Tossing It Out

Old Kitty said...

Oh wow!!! What a fab Q&A!! Thank you so much for doing this! Wow!! It's great to get to know you a little!! You dance, play music, arts and crafts and write and are not yet 18!! Wow!!! I'm in AWE!!!! LOL!!!

Thank you again for doing this - great questions, fab and surprising answers - like you love to bake bread!!! Me too! LOL!

Take care
x

Angela Felsted said...

How great that you're a musician who plays classical music!

Lazy Girl said...

400th post!!! Well congrats to you!!

Clarissa Draper said...

Wow, you've never had coffee. Are you oriental?

Colene Murphy said...

Coffee is the gross. Definitely stick with tea. So cool that you play classical music. I have a harp I would kill to be able to play. REALLY not over 18!? That's so awesome! I was so thinking late 20s early 30s. You write so well and all.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Fun to learn about you. I don't like chocolate either and I'm kind of a math/science geek.
I'm a public school teacher but I like finding out some home-schooled students are examples of excellence in education.
I guess I'd like to know what your future plans are for college or otherwise? What will you major in?

Kari Marie said...

I'm not a fan of chocolate either. Thank you so much for answering these questions! It was cool to get to know you.

Su said...

That's an awesome font for sci-fi. This was a fun post to read! Congrats on 400!

Powdered Toast Man said...

How can you not like chocolate? It's like not liking sex. I'm not even going to ask.

Rachael Harrie said...

Hey Golden, great to find out more about you. I used to play the violin too when I was younger (the world sighed with relief when I gave up I think, LOL).

Hugs,

Rach

brave chickens said...

This was a great post! You should have this 'ask me a question' thing a few more times. Some of your answers were pretty funny as well :D

Nice to know you a little more Ms. Golden Eagle :)

Robyn Campbell said...

Love these questions and love learning more about you. Especially that you've written so many different genres. Ultra cool! :)

Love the age thang. :)

Carol Kilgore said...

I loved learning more about you! Even though you wouldn't tell me your name :(
Happy Weekend!

gideon 86 said...

WOW Golden,

You are quite mature and accomplished for a person so young.

I love that! I always felt teenagers are so underestimated. It always puts a smile on my face when I talk to a bright and vivacious teenager.

I always look forward to your posts and comments. Thanks for all the cheer during my writing quest.

I plan to spend the weekend editing an polishing for ABNA, but I had to stop by and say, Hi.

Michael

W.B. said...

I can't believe that you don't like chocolate. :P

You play classical music? That's amazing. You seem like a very interesting person. :)

Talli Roland said...

What great questions and answers! And yay, you're a girl! :) Cool to hear about the violin!

Medeia Sharif said...

I learned so much about you.

No chocolate??? ;)

It's awesome that you play classical music. It's something I wish I pursued when I was younger.

Have a great weekend.

Misha said...

Hi again. I'm finally back.

This was a really interesting post. I really enjoyed learning a bit more about you.

I really regret missing out on the question asking though.

And congrats on the 400 followers!

:-)

klahanie said...

Hi there,
So many questions from so many esteemed bloggers and writers.
Very informative responses to those questions and it's also nice to get to know a little bit more about your good self:-)
Enjoy your weekend and happy writing.
In kindness, Gary

DEZMOND said...

oh, doesn't like chocolate and coffee :) So, I'm not the only weirdo in that department :)

laughingwolf said...

thx ge... nothing further... but i retain the right to recall you for further cross examination ;) lol

wv: chess

Wendy aka Quillfeather said...

A very enjoyable interview.

I like how you tick, Golden Eagle.

Susan Fields said...

You don't like chocolate? Really? I'm just in shock...

My daughter will be reading Kite Runner for her English class next year. I'm glad to hear how much you liked it.

Jai Joshi said...

Great answers, Golden Eagle! I didn't know that you didn't like chocolate and I love your answer to my question. Mangrove is an interesting choice.

I love classical music but I've had no training in it like you do. I wish I did so I could understand it more. I listen to it all the time.

Jai

Edith F. said...

I count myself to be the third commenter who doesn't like chocolate either. What's with all the shock, people? It's a food like any other! Some of you have weird taste, too, for instance not liking Brussels sprouts. I love Brussels sprouts (and no, this is not a joke).

Eurostile rocks for sci-fi; can't beat a good sans serif font when you're delving into the future. ;) I used to hate double-space too, but lately I've been acclimating myself... I think of it as room to breathe.

Madeleine said...

Great to learn lots more about you. Sounds like somthing we could all do on our blogs. Great idea.
I can appreciate it if you don't like choc or coffee, no-one can understand that I have no taset for alcohol, it's something I inherited from my Ma :O)

The Golden Eagle said...

Maria: Glad you enjoyed. :)

Nope!

Malcolm: There were a lot of great questions from other bloggers!

Heather: Thanks! I love the sound, too.

I'm glad you liked reading this!

Hannah: Huzzah indeed! :D

Tracy: No, I don't like chocolate. It just never appealed to me for long. (It's okay with me sometimes, but not a lot of the time . . .)

Nevets: *grin*

Alex: Shall I create a "The one-liner award"?

Margo: Glad you liked it!

And now it's the book for the e-reader. :P

Yup.

Elena: Nah, it's not too personal.

I don't really feel all that disadvantaged--I've read enough books, seen enough movies, heard enough from people to get an overall idea of what high school is--probably--like. And, while I might be wrong, how different is it really from other social situations?

Emily: Thank you! :)

LOL. I just had to throw in a funny quote.

Nancy: Thanks. (Part of the reason I don't want my name online is--as I mention in this post--because I'm under 18.)

Right! You've just give me an idea, actually . . . another case of Shiny New Idea Syndrome!

Janet: I'm glad you enjoyed it! :)

It's a great instrument to play!

Shelley: Thanks!

It was an interesting little experience, deciding what I would be known by--to a lot of people!

The Golden Eagle said...

Amanda: Ha.

:D

LOL. People have told me that! But I like other drinks, and I'm happy without coffee.

Lee: Thanks!

My mom likes that kind of music, so must have I gotten some of that from her. :)

Old Kitty: You're very welcome! It was so much fun to answer all of your questions.

Awesome--bread IS a lot of fun to make, isn't it?

Angela: It's the majority of what I play--I've done some jazz, but not much comparatively.

Lazy: Thank you!

Clarissa: No particular reason, other than my mom doesn't drink coffee and it's never really appealed to me. :P

Colene: Thank you!

20s or 30s?! Gosh.

LOL. But I'm glad you like my writing!

Susan: I'm glad you enjoyed the post!

I'm still not sure about that, exactly, but at the moment I'm thinking Physics/Engineering, or Biology. Definitely science, whichever it ends up being. :)

Kari: Cool. (Not that you don't like the food--since a lot of other people do like it and I know that I sometimes wished I liked it more--but that there's someone else with my tastes.)

You're welcome! :)

Su: It works in Blogger, too; just substitute the Georgia, Cambria, or whatever with Eurostile and it looks like the example in the post.

Thanks!

The Golden Eagle said...

Powdered Toast Man: Well, it is food--I guess I make up for it by liking vegetables instead. :P

Rachael: I'm glad you enjoyed!

Cool! But it's too bad you stopped.

Brave chickens: Thank you! I'm glad you liked this post.

I might just--this was a huge success! :)

Robyn: Glad you enjoyed the post!

Aw, thank you. Although I have to say, being younger in the Blogger world can sometimes be a bit intimidating--all these people who're older than I am!

Carol: I hope that's okay--I want to keep details about myself (name, location, etc.) private.

Thanks! I hope you had a great weekend.

Michael: Thank you for the compliment!

I hope your weekend of editing went well--you can do it! ABNA is going to be thrilled when you submit your novel. :)

W.B.: It's a problem at Halloween. LOL.

Thank you!

Talli: I never thought there'd be gender confusion! But I guess with a name like The Golden Eagle, it's kinda hard to tell at first glance. :P

Medeia: Nope, no chocolate. ;)

It's my favorite music genre.

I hope you had a great weekend!

Misha: I'm so glad you're back, Misha! The blogosphere hasn't been the same. :)

I'm glad you enjoyed it!

I think I'll do it again sometime (maybe for my Blogoversary) so you'll get a chance to ask, too!

The Golden Eagle said...

Gary: I'm glad you liked it. :)

Dezmond: Yeah, I'm a weirdo too when it comes to coffee and chocolate. :D

Laughingwolf: You're welcome!

No problem. :)

Wendy: Glad you liked it!

Thanks!

Susan: Really.

I reviewed Th Kite Runner here on my blog--I hope your daughter enjoys it!

Jai: Thank you!

I love mangrove trees; they live in an environment that other trees just can't, and they're so different.

It's interesting to listen to Classical music, now that I've been playing it for years--it used to be music, and now it has more significance on different levels.

Edith: I like Brussels sprouts, too. :D

Nope! It really does fit the whole SF genre feel, IMO . . . nothing else will do.

I like it because it keeps me writing more--double-space give me an excuse to write less since it takes up more pages. :P

Madeleine: I'm glad you enjoyed it! :)

Well, I'm definitely not going to act incredulous at that--everyone has their own tastes!

Peaceful Reader said...

The questions are all interesting and your answers even more so...I had no idea you were under 18 or that you were homeschooled or that none of us can ever know your name. Thank you for being so open with your answers.

Patricia Stoltey said...

You don't like chocolate? Like Maria said and others said, it's hard to get past that one. I keep a stash of dark, dark chocolate in my bookcase.

The Golden Eagle said...

Peaceful Reader: You're welcome! I'm glad you found this an interesting read. :)

Patricia: Well, I'm glad you enjoy it! It's a very popular food--obviously. LOL.