07 November, 2010

Book Review: Sisters Red





Title: Sisters Red
Author: Jackson Pearce
Publisher: Little, Brown And Company
Genre: Paranormal
Page Count: 324
Rating: 3.7 out of 5
Cover Rating: 4 out of 5. I like it, especially the way the red girl's hair/hat sweeps down over her eye. It fits Scarlett well, and the flipped imaged of Rosie against the wolf works all right, although it could, (possibly, but somewhat unlikely) act as a spoiler.

Inside flap:

The wolf opened its long jaws, rows of teeth stretching for her. A thought locked itself in Scarlett's mind: I am the one left to fight, so now must kill you.
Scarlett march lives to hunt the Fenris--the werewolves that took her eye when she was defending her sister, Rosie, from a brutal attack. Armed with a razor-sharp hatchet and a blood-red cloak, Scarlett is an expert at luring and slaying the wolves. She's determined to protect other young girls from a grisly death, and her raging heart will not rest until every single wolf is dead.
Rosie March once felt that her bond with her sister was unbreakable. Owing Scarlett her life, Rose hunts ferociously alongside her. But even as more girls' bodies pile up in the city and the Fenris seem to be gaining power, Rosie dreams of a life beyond the wolves. She finds herself drawn to Scarlett's only friend, Silas, a young woodsman who is deadly with an ax. But does loving him mean betraying her sister and all that they've worked for?

My expectations: Low. I read it because I wanted to see if Pearce followed the usual stereotypical werewolf concept, or made something a tad more original out of it. Also, I liked the idea of Scarlett's personality.


It was better than I expected. A lot better, actually.

About the book: First off, the romance in the book isn't as prominent, nor as stereotypical, as the book presents it to be. I was relieved when I found that out. The action is good, and the overall writing isn't bad at all. I enjoyed much of this book, although werewolves are a bit overused and the violence/gore sometimes outweighed the writing.


  • Plot:

A little predictable, but generally it was fine. The beginning was a tad slow, but it picked up. There weren't any gaping holes, and the end, instead of being some open-ended cliff-hanger ending, tied up what had happened before. I was glad that the author hadn't made it into another one of the ubiquitous romance series that seem to go on forever.


  • Characters:

I felt that Rosie and Scarlett March were believable characters. I loved Scarlett's ferocity, her need to hunt the Fenris. Rosie wasn't my favorite character, but she was a good foil for her sister with her quieter ways and gentler disposition.


Silas was all right. Not my favorite love interest, but he was rather good as male YA characters go.


  • Setting/Elements:

Werewolves are very common in YA literature these days. Nevertheless, in this book, they're downright evil, and ruled by their desires instead of being the controllable, good-hearted creatures you see in some books. It was an interesting change.

Other: Violence when they're hunting/killing the Fenris wolves, language that is sort of sudden (and that occasionally felt unnecessary--I hate it when they do this), some making out.

Do I recommend this book? Not particularly, but it isn't bad. I say, if you see it in the library, take it out. It won't be spectacular, but Sisters Red might be a good read when you're bored.

-----The Golden Eagle

19 comments:

Alison said...

Great review! I love how you talked about how different Sisters Red is from most YA - less romance, different portrayal of werewolves, etc. I really enjoyed this book, but agree with you about its flaws.

Quinn said...

I've wanted to read this book because of it's cover. I actually had no idea what he plot was until today. I like how you did the review.

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Thanks for the review...It sounds like one that would give me bad dreams. :(

Aisle B said...

Nice to hear that it somewhat beat your expectations. I've heard mixed reviews and some either love it or fell "blah".

Honest and gritty review. Thanks for the heads up.

The Golden Eagle said...

Alison: Thank you!

Quinn: The cover is vivid, isn't it?

Glad you liked the review!

Sharon: You're welcome!

It didn't give me bad dreams; but I can see why it might! Werewolves aren't always pleasant.

Aisle B: I've seen mixed reviews as well, part of the reason why my expectations were lower.

Happy to be of service. :)

Old Kitty said...

The cover is lovely!!!

It's an intriguing premise - werewolf sisters - yeah!!! :-) Sounds very dark and bloody - I do hope I see it in my library - I'm tempted to have a sneaky peak!!

Take care
x

Clarissa Draper said...

You sure do write a great review. This genre is not really my cup of tea but I reading the review.

CD

The Golden Eagle said...

Old Kitty: It is a little dark. I hope you find it at your library!

Clarissa: Thank you so much!

N. R. Williams said...

An interesting review Golden. I probably won't read this one. I'm not into werewolves. I remember too well the horror movies that freaked me out as a kid. However, I have to say that good-guy werewolf on 'True Blood,' was hot, hot, hot. Oh dear, I'm too old to think that way. LOL
Nancy
N. R. Williams, fantasy author

Robyn Campbell said...

Well done review. Very honest. I like that. :)

The cover is amazing. Now I have to read it. I thought I wouldn't but after reading your review, I must GET THIS BOOK. :)

Paul Greci said...

I've been wanting to read something by Jackson Pearce. Thanks for the info.

Arlee Bird said...

It's doubtful that I'll ever read this unless I happen to find it laying around somewhere and there's absolutely nothing else to read--like that will ever happen.

Lee
Tossing It Out

Okie said...

I've heard both good and bad on this book. I'm generally still looking forward to it.

Thanks for a thoughtful and thorough review. :)

The Golden Eagle said...

Nancy: Well, I can see why the allure of werewolves would wear off after a while! There are so many of them.

I'm never watched True Blood . . . but is there an age limit on that sort of thing? ;)

Robyn: I'm glad you like the way I write my book reviews. :)

I hope you enjoy Sisters Red!

Paul: You're welcome!

Lee: :D I doubt that will happen, too. There are plenty of books in the world!

Okie: I hope that you enjoy the book, once you read it!

Anytime! :)

Medeia Sharif said...

I have this one. I heard good things about it and the cover intrigued me.

The Golden Eagle said...

I hope you have fun reading it, Medeia! :)

jewelknits said...

Such a shame that the book doesn't live up to that cool cover! I've read many so-so reviews about this; so through a swap or the library is how it's going to get into my house.

I do like that the werewolves are all monstery-like. Isn't that what werewolves are supposed to BE?

Julie @ Knitting and Sundries

DEZMOND said...

what an unusual and lovely book cover!

The Golden Eagle said...

Julie: It is too bad . . .

I agree! They're werewolves that HUNT and fight!

DEZMOND: Indeed!