27 November, 2010

Challenge: How Many Of These Have You Read?

When I noticed this over on a lot of blogs, I just had to do it. For one thing, it's a book tag! For another thing, it's also a literary tag! 


And I want to show the BBC that there are, in fact, quite a few people--like my fellow bloggers here who did this--who are well-read and have consumed more than 6 of these titles!


Rules for the challenge:


• Copy this list.
 Bold those books you’ve read in their entirety.
 Italicize the ones you started but didn’t finish or read only an excerpt.



And as a bonus, I'm going to underline those I'm thinking about reading next year.


Commentary is in aqua.



Pride and Prejudice – Jane Austen
(Blah. I didn't like Pride and Prejudice)
The Lord of the Rings – JRR Tolkien

(One of my favorite books.)
Jane Eyre – Charlotte Bronte
Harry Potter series – JK Rowling

(Favorite again.)
To Kill a Mockingbird – Harper Lee

(Interesting . . .)
The King James Bible
Wuthering Heights – Emily Bronte
Nineteen Eighty Four (1984) – George Orwell
His Dark Materials – Philip Pullman

(Ideas/opinions made me think. I know this book is controversial.)
Great Expectations – Charles Dickens
Little Women – Louisa M Alcott

(Read it in one day. Liked it then, not particularly interested now . . .)
Tess of the D’Urbervilles – Thomas Hardy
Catch 22 – Joseph Heller
Complete Works of Shakespeare

(I've read a collection--but not every single play.)
Rebecca – Daphne Du Maurier
The Hobbit – JRR Tolkien

(My mom read this to me.)
Birdsong – Sebastian Faulk
Catcher in the Rye – JD Salinger

The Time Traveler’s Wife – Audrey Niffenegger
Middlemarch – George Eliot

(I got around 150 pages in, and then it just flopped for me. It was too boring.)
Gone With The Wind – Margaret Mitchell

(BOO, Scarlett! Rhett Butler--hmph.)
The Great Gatsby – F. Scott Fitzgerald
War and Peace – Leo Tolstoy

(The translation was odd--they put the French parts in footnotes, but put the Russian where it would be if it was being read normally. I should try reading it again, though.)
The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy – Douglas Adams

(Love.)
Brideshead Revisited – Evelyn Waugh

Crime and Punishment – Fyodor Dostoyevsky
(I'm interested in this one.)
Grapes of Wrath – John Steinbeck
Alice in Wonderland – Lewis Carroll

(Hate Alice in Wonderland, most of the time--I like the recent movie, though.)
The Wind in the Willows – Kenneth Grahame

(Started, never finished. We have to copy, so I should read it . . .)
Anna Karenina – Leo Tolstoy

(Interested. It's a pretty famous book, and I can't forget Lemony Snicket's comment from Horseradish. :D)
David Copperfield – Charles Dickens
Chronicles of Narnia – CS Lewis

(Enjoy this series.)
Emma -Jane Austen

Persuasion – Jane Austen
The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe – CS Lewis

(Um, you just listed the Chronicles of Narnia, BBC.)
The Kite Runner – Khaled Hosseini

(I have an upcoming review of this--enjoyed it a lot.)
Captain Corelli’s Mandolin – Louis De Bernieres
Memoirs of a Geisha – Arthur Golden
Winnie the Pooh – A.A. Milne

(We have a collection of stories . . . does that count?)
Animal Farm – George Orwell
The DaVinci Code – Dan Brown

(Apparently I write like this guy . . . )
One Hundred Years of Solitude – Gabriel Garcia Marquez
A Prayer for Owen Meaney – John Irving
The Woman in White – Wilkie Collins
Anne of Green Gables – LM Montgomery

(Never appealed to me.)
Far From The Madding Crowd – Thomas Hardy
The Handmaid’s Tale – Margaret Atwood
Lord of the Flies – William Golding

(Reminds me of Robert Cormier's novels. This sort of book gets me into the mood to write evil, scheming, psychologically twisted characters. I do have some of that sort in my writing.)
Atonement – Ian McEwan

Life of Pi – Yann Martel
Dune – Frank Herbert
Cold Comfort Farm – Stella Gibbons
Sense and Sensibility – Jane Austen
A Suitable Boy – Vikram Seth
The Shadow of the Wind – Carlos Ruiz Zafon
A Tale Of Two Cities – Charles Dickens
Brave New World – Aldous Huxley
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time – Mark Haddon
Love In The Time Of Cholera – Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Of Mice and Men – John SteinbeckLolita – Vladimir Nabokov
The Secret History – Donna Tartt
The Lovely Bones – Alice Sebold
Count of Monte Cristo – Alexandre Dumas

On The Road – Jack Kerouac
Jude the Obscure – Thomas Hardy
Bridget Jones’s Diary – Helen Fielding
Midnight’s Children – Salman Rushdie
Moby Dick – Herman Melville

(I reviewed this . . . it's in the archives. Kind of dull, but at least I can say I read it!)
Oliver Twist – Charles Dickens
Dracula – Bram Stoker

(There's an electronic copy somewhere . . . or I could just get it out of the library to read the rest. :P)
The Secret Garden – Frances Hodgson Burnett

(I like the movie better. Ever seen it?)
Notes From A Small Island – Bill Bryson
(I want to read this book! A Short History of Nearly Everything--one of my favorite nonfic books.)
Ulysses – James Joyce
The Inferno – Dante
Swallows and Amazons – Arthur Ransome
Germinal – Emile Zola
Vanity Fair – William Makepeace Thackeray
Possession – AS Byatt
Christmas Carol – Charles Dickens
Cloud Atlas – David Mitchell
The Color Purple – Alice Walker
The Remains of the Day – Kazuo Ishiguro

Madame Bovary – Gustave Flaubert
A Fine Balance – Rohinton Mistry
Charlotte’s Web – E.B. White

(This was one of the first long-ish chapter books I read.)
The Five People You Meet In Heaven – Mitch Albom

(I read Tuesdays With Morrie recently for school. Wrote an essay.)
Adventures of Sherlock Holmes – Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

(Go, Sherlock!)
The Faraway Tree Collection – Enid Blyton
Heart of Darkness – Joseph Conrad
The Little Prince – Antoine De Saint-Exupery

(Interesting story.)
The Wasp Factory – Iain Banks
Watership Down – Richard Adams
A Confederacy of Dunces – John Kennedy Toole
A Town Like Alice – Nevil Shute
The Three Musketeers – Alexandre Dumas

Hamlet – William Shakespeare
(The story, not the play. It's a strange story. I saw the PBS recent version of it, with David Tennant.)
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory – Roald Dahl

(Wacky . . . never watched the movie.)
Les Miserables – Victor Hugo

(Cosette is an airhead. That's what I thought after I read it. Jean Valjean--interesting enough.)


So, to tally:


21 read.
5 started, never finished.
7 to (possibly) read next year.



----The Golden Eagle

38 comments:

Old Kitty said...

Yay!! Good for you!! I am very fond of this list - I have to say! I'm a very slow reader but seeing how many I've read in this list makes me feel a little better about my slowness!!

Take care
x

The Golden Eagle said...

Old Kitty: Cool! :D

I was a little surprised by the list when I first saw it--I expected there to be more titles I'd read, but nope! LOL.

Brian said...

That really is quite a list too, covers lots!

The Words Crafter said...

Okay, I've noticed this before, have you? There are different lists out there. Mine doesn't have Dracula and one or two others. I've read Dracula, loved it. I went to the BBC site, too. Huh....

Anyway, we scored about the same and now that nano is over and, as soon as I actually finish the story, I'm taking a break before diving into the editing mess. I'm going to read as many books as I can in December.

Have a great weekend!

Helen Ginger said...

You've read quite a few from the list. Yay. It's a pretty eclectic collection of books. Unless I really love a book, I tend to forget the details. You, on the other hand, seemed to remember the ones you've read.

Quinn said...

Cool to see what you've read ... you've beat me. I enjoyed WAR AND PEACE, so I'd reccomend reading that if you can find a good translation. I'll check and see if I can find which one I read as it's supposed to be one of the best translations. So, I'll get back to you with that.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I saw this on another blog - I've read twenty-eight of those books.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Interesting list and I'm surprised that a few of the titles made it!

I've read 47 of them...but I was an English major and many on the list were required reading. There are just a handful that I read for pleasure. :)

Misha1989 said...

I have read about 40 of them . You didn't like Pride and Prejudice? that's sad...

laughingwolf said...

i've read just over half on this list...

Karen said...

I've read 20 on the list, started and given up on a few and the rest have never appealed!

I've never seen the movie of The Secret Garden, but loved the book so I'll look out for that :o)

KarenG said...

I loved your comments! Are you on Goodreads? I would definitely enjoy your reviews if so.

♥Bleah♥Briann♥ said...

Hey! On my uncles computer I can actually read your blog without it messing up! Lol :)
I'm doing this! Its official... evne though I haven't done barely... any of them, at all... lol. I read a different genre I guess.

Anyhoo, while I'm here at my uncles I'll stop by more often!

Love,
Bleah

Arlee Bird said...

I was surprised that I'd only read 16 in their entirety. They were mostly books you havent' read. There's a lot of really good stuff missing here.

Lee
Tossing It Out

Deni Krueger said...

This is a great list. I think I've only read fifteen of them, but there were many more that I'd started and never finished. I already have about 30 books on my 'to read' shelf, so any others will have to wait 'til next year:)

Su said...

If the Beeb is doing this to encourage people to read... by golly, I hope it works. :)

Jai Joshi said...

Yes, I've read 27 and have read half of about 10 more. I still think that James Joyce's Ulysses deserves to be on the list. Not even the judges who voted it best book of the 20th century bothered to finish reading that.

Jai

Liz said...

I've read 23, read parts of 13 (many of those I read with various English classes that I subbed in).

When I went through this list, I looked it up online and found this blog: http://kriswager.blogspot.com/2009/02/bbc-100-book-meme-or-is-it.html.

(I know, I know, it's a blog URL, but it's not mine, and it directly relates. I swear.)

Apparently, this list isn't the actual BBC list. (That's okay. The game is kinda fun anyway.)

Nicole Zoltack said...

I've read a little over 30, a lot were required reading.

Jules said...

Wow, what a list! Though I have read many, I'd have to say there is one I don't think you can ever finish, The Bible. Always having to go back, with that book :D

Brooke said...

I haven't read a bunch of books on that list at all. I was surprised! I love reading. I'm not saying how many I read though. I'm going to have to read all of those.

(P.S
Gonna make a trip to the library tomorrow and get a bunch of books)

Talli Roland said...

21 is great! I'd say I've read around that number, too - I must take a closer look at the list!

Medeia Sharif said...

I saw this list elsewhere, and I came up with 42 or 43 read.

I have a lot more reading to do.

DEZMOND said...

On a quick count I read 47 of these :) But then again I did study English language and literature at college.
Your count is also great, Eagle, since I'm guessing you're a young person.

Jayne said...

Love your commentary! I've read around the same number you have, although I find their list a little odd - the complete works of Shakespeare is quite broad! Also they repeat a few things - makes you wonder whether a computer made up the original list or a person!

TerryLynnJohnson said...

I have read a surprising number of these. I tend to like main stream books more than literary. I also find I liked some of these when I was younger, and now, not so much.

The Golden Eagle said...

Brian: Yes, it does. :)

The Words Crafter: No, I hadn't noticed that until you mentioned it! Weird. I wonder who changed the original list!

Good luck reading! :D

You too!

Helen: Good for you!

I tend to remember if I liked it or not, and a couple of the defining features; like if I hated/loved the MC or the villain.

Quinn: I'd be interested in knowing which translation you read! The one I saw was a recent one, and people said it was good . . . maybe if I tried it again.

Alex: 28?! Cool!

Elizabeth: Me, too.

I read Moby-Dick for fun. :D

Misha: I dunno about sad . . . just different. I never saw the draw of the story--maybe it'll grow on me.

Laughingwolf: Kudos to you!

Karen: Sounds like my own tally! :)

It's a Hallmark movie, something like that. It's quite good--I've watched it several times.

KarenG: No. I'm on Shelfari instead; I've written a few reviews on that site.

The Golden Eagle said...

Bleah Briann: Hooray, Bleah! :D I'm so happy to see you here again!

I'll definitely check out your post once you do it! :)

Lee: I guess we read different books . . . but it's a weird list, anyway. :P I'm sure if it was structured differently the tallies would be changed!

Deni: That's where libraries come in handy. :)

Su: Yes, me too! If you want to get people reading . . . challenge 'em!

Jai: I haven't read Ulysses, although I've certainly heard of it before.

The judges didn't bother to finish reading it? Wow. I would have expected them to have read it in its entirety . . .

Liz: Nah, as long as the URL isn't advertising, which I don't consider it to be in the least.

Okay, so it was put together by the Guardian instead of the BBC, or something like that? I guess someone put them together by accident, then. But yes, it's still a lot of fun! :)

Nicole: Many of these I've read on my own . . . LOL.

Jules: The Bible does hold a lot, doesn't it? :)

Brooke: A lot are more arcane than the usual . . . and there are few YA/MG books on the list, even though there are some excellent titles that fall within that range.

Talli: Will you post it? I'd be interested in seeing your own list! :)

The Golden Eagle said...

Medeia: Well, those are still a lot of books! Many more than I've read.

DEZMOND: I suppose that would make for a lot of these books being read; several of them could are classics.

Teenager, to be precise. :P

Jayne: The list(s) probably got mixed up some time down the line, with all that copying and pasting.

Terry: I like mainstream more than literary, too; although there are a few literary ones that I really do enjoy.

Too bad you don't like them anymore! But at least you've enjoyed them in the past. :)

Erin Kane Spock said...

I came in at 43, although many of them are required/recommended reading for high school English, so I read them not for enjoyment, but for lesson plans. :( And what's with listing both Hamlet and the Complete Works of Shakespeare? Some of the books I have read multiple times. As to not finish, well I counted it, but never did finish Les Miserables, despite my love affair with the musical.

Cold As Heaven said...

I have read about 10, I think. 5 of the books on my list of favorites; the books by Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky and Hitchhiker's Guide series and Catch22 >:)

Cold As Heaven

Cold As Heaven said...

I have read about 10, I think. 5 of the books on my list of favorites; the books by Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky and Hitchhiker's Guide series and Catch22 >:)

Cold As Heaven

mist of the blossom rain said...

Wow, I love your list!
I just found your blog and i think it's great. keep writing/reading!

Pk Hrezo said...

Mine came out to 21 too. It's a shame I haven't had a chance to read more of them. There's a lot of great books on there. Most of the ones you read, are the same ones I've read. Some of my fave.
So you write like Brown, eh? That's a good thing. His books keep me up[ into the night. I can never put them down... just... one ...more ...chapter. :)

Rachael Harrie said...

I found it intriguing to read everyone's list, and yours was no exception. Loved the comments :)

Rach

Talei said...

Just scrolling through quickly, I've 21 of these titles too. Quite a few on my aspiration to read list? As in - they are so large, I want to but not sure when I'll get to. e.g War and Peace. ;)

The Golden Eagle said...

Erin: I probably won't read many of these unless they're required . . . some, maybe, but not some of the listed classics.

Never seen the Les Miserables musical, although I'm interested to see how they did it.

Cold As Heaven: Cool that you've got favorites on this list! The only one I really like is Harry Potter. :P

Mist of the blossom rain: Hello, there! Welcome to my blog. :) I'm glad you like it!

Pk Hrezo: I guess we read the same things!

I really should read something by Brown. I've read books by the other two authors the site said I write like--Clarke and Vonnegut.

Rachael: I liked reading everyone else's posts, too . . . glad you liked the comments! :)

Talei: That book is a little long . . . LOL.

buddy2blogger said...

Always a pleasure to meet a Sherlockian!

I liked 'The House of Silk' by Anthony Horowitz and would recommend this pastiche.

Check out my review .

Cheers!