07 December, 2010

The Answer! (Plus: Award, and Other Miscellany)

The moment has arrived! I shall now reveal who exactly the kind of person it is in the Through the Keyhole Blogfest entry I posted on Monday.

First off, most of you who guessed said that you thought it was a male widow.

Partly right, although not completely. I wasn't aiming for anything so tragic.

He--and yes, it is a he, you were right on the gender!--is a traveling writer, doing research for his book, going to conventions/meetings, and the computer is what he writes on; the CD-RW has his files burned onto it. The green string is indeed a luggage tag, a remnant of his last trip to the airport. The picture of the couple is an image of him and his wife, but they're not divorced/separated, and there's no sorrowful backstory--he's just traveling abroad, while his wife stays home. They're a happy couple. :) The picture is a reminder . . .

*****

Now, L'Aussie awarded me the Fair Dinkum Award.


So, I'd like to give L'Aussie a big THANK YOU! and  *hug* for awarding me. :) It is much appreciated!

Me being American, I'd never heard of a Fair Dinkum before--L'Aussie apparently anticipated that, and told the award-ees to guess what they thought a Fair Dinkum was. (Read my comment HERE.) Hopefully, I got it at least somewhat right. :P

I also get to pass it on, too, and here are the people I'm awarding next with the Fair Dinkum Award (trying to be sure that no one's nabbed 'em before me . . . LOL):

Robyn Campbell
Brian
Sangu Mandanna
Madeleine
Dominic de Mattos

. . . and there are many others out there--Blogger seems to be a Fair Dinkum melting pot!

*****

Have you heard that the US Department of the Interior wants to strip Northern Rocky Mountain wolves of their Endangered Species status?

Now, look: I have absolutely nothing against saying that they're not on the brink of extinction. Hooray for that, actually. But LET'S NOT HUNT THE WOLVES. Please. If they're going to take wolves off the list, DON'T let them be hunted back onto it!

Remember what happened last time the wolves were killed, and there weren't enough of them out there? The ecosystem collapsed. Deer populations, (which are still issues in some parts of the country) went wild, eating, then starving themselves out as they ate everything, killing their food supplies due to lack of control by predators. We NEED the predators!

*****

You know that site that's been circulating for the past few days, every since Jen posted that awesome interview with Miranda Dickinson? Authonomy.com, set up by Harper Collins? It sound like an awesome site, and a good opportunity for getting your work out there. Publishers, agents, and other people like that will be able to read it, and you get exposure. People get to read your books and comment on them. Publishers have actually published works by the authors there.

Well, apparently you can't use it unless you're over 18.

*sigh* I don't happen to be over 18, which means that option's out the window. What's with the rule, anyway? Doesn't make sense to me.

*****

You may have noticed that I took down the Other Blogs page I had up, with all you bloggers' buttons. I don't hate your buttons--in fact, many of them are quite nice, and I make those kind of images myself--but the format was acting up giving me tons of white space, and it's easier to just add people to the blogroll on my sidebar. So, if you were on the Other Blogs page, rest assured that you are on the blogroll. :)

(I might set up one of the moving, repeating sequences of buttons, if I can figure out how . . . or I may just put up the page again in the future.)

*****

It snowed ALL DAY yesterday. Non-stop. There are several inches on the ground right now, and it's supposed to snow more this week--hooray! Not that I get snow days, being homeschooled and all . . . but it's the symbolic aspect. Plus, I love snow.


-----The Golden Eagle

33 comments:

Cherry said...

cool :)

Stephen Tremp said...

I see where New Jersey lets bears be hunted again. They'l probably be killed out of the area. Let's hope the wolves are not hunted back on the list.

Angela Felsted said...

We have a serious deer problem her in Virginia, which means we also have a growing lime disease issue here. Of course, introducing wolves here might be a bit over the top.

Carol Kilgore said...

Congrats on your award! I have another one waiting for you on my blog.

Old Kitty said...

Aha!!! A happily married travelling male writer!! Brilliant!!!!! Wow - that was fun!!!

CONGRATULATIONS with your award!! yay!!!

Awww please please please leave the wolves alone. :-( Let them share this planet with us. thank you!

Oh wow it snowed!!! That's so chrissmassy!!!!

Take care
x

Quinn said...

Congrats on the award! I missed your through the keyhole post. Now I'm intrigued ... I'll have to go back and read it.

The Happy Whisk said...

Hi. Just saw that you are a NaNo winner and wanted to offer a big congrats for all your hard work.

Very cool. Great job.

Tyrean Martinson said...

I agree. We need to leave the wolves to roam without intervention from hunters. There are enough illegal poacher type hunters out there anyway - a special brand of human predator criminal dislike by all who love animals - so we don't need to legalize shooting wolves.
Wolves are amazing, wonderful creatures.

Mason Canyon said...

Congratulations on your award. You did a great job on the Keyhole post. I wish they'd leave the wolves alone too. Just when they are finally starting to make their way back.

BTW, you may not be over 18 but you are wise beyond your years.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Clarissa Draper said...

First of all, don't worry about the blog buttons.

Second, I wasn't even close at guess your blogfest answer. I'm not too bright I guess.

Congrats on the award and participants.

But whoa, you're not over eighteen!? I would have never guessed. Your posts are so mature. Maybe it's because you're homeschooled and much smarter than the rest of us. ;) I'm biased. My son is being homeschooled. I went to public.

I'm glad you're happy it snowed. I'm glad it's not snowing where I am, I'm not a fan of the cold.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Congratulations on the award!
No hunting wolves! That's just wrong.
And I am jealous of your snow.

Jai Joshi said...

Congrats on your award! I got one too and still haven't guessed what fair dinkum means.

I'm with you on the wolves issue.

Jai

Colene Murphy said...

Yeay! congrats on your award!

The Words Crafter said...

You sure covered a lot of ground! I agree about not hunting the wolves and I, too, am jealous of the snow.

Congrats on the award and the recipients!

I love your keyhole answer, how neat! I really love that he takes his wife's picture with him....he's a good guy. We need good guys!

Jules said...

Dang, I did not get it!
Congrats on the award!
NO killing of wolves!
I'm trying to compose a "How-To," post on the scrolling thing. I do that with awards on mine.

Let it SNOW! :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

....Petty Witter said...

What can I say apart from Fair Dinkum. Seriously, well done on your award. It was good to learn so many things about you, I must say I was also rather taken aback that you were not yet 18, you obviously have a wise head on your shoulders and I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Joanna St. James said...

Ugh Your blog is still not coming up on my blogroll *le sigh* and everytime I came here I saw the playlist and thot u had not posted in a while.
I am pretty spazzy aren't i
Congratulations on your Fair Dinkum award that is like the coolest award around now.
I went to Authonomy, I am still not totally convinced its the way for me yet.
You should so get a snow day at least once a year

Summer Ross said...

Congrats on your award! I don't think wolves should be hunted either. I'm checking out the site you listed that Jen also put up.
Snow- um yeah, I'm not a fan even though I live somewhere it snows, I don't like the cold or the ice that comes with driving in it. :)

Holly Ruggiero said...

Congrats on the award.

I reread your story. I think the picture in a drawer sets it up for a widow. A traveler would more likely set it in a frame and prop it up by his computer. I also think of travelers as staying in hotels/motels. The filing cabinet seems more like a home office. I hope this helps a little.

N. R. Williams said...

I have been to this blog everyday this week Golden and for some reason blogger didn't show me your post until today. Now how weird is that.

Congratulations on the award...me too as you know. You're not 18? Wow, you are mature for your age. You have my permission to whoop it up on occasion.

I haven't heard of the site you talked about. I will go have a look.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, fantasy author

Alyssa@Teens Read and Write said...

Congrats on the award. I don't want the wolves hunted. People can so screw up nature. We haven't had much snow this season. In fact it's 80 today. I'm not complaining - I know the freeze will come. Stay warm!

Elena Solodow said...

Congrats on the award! And I agree about the wolves...

Dominic de Mattos said...

Congrats on your award and thank you for thinking of me! :D

As far as I am aware Fair Dinkum means pukka - truly Australian - and therefore worthy of respect and a tip of the hat! (presumable with corks on it!)

:Dom

Theresa Milstein said...

Congratulations on receiving L'Aussie's award. It's a cool one!

My deceased aunt was a huge defender of wolves. Because of her dedication, I try to keep up my support for them. Glad you gave them a shout out.

Arlee Bird said...

The picture scrolls are a pretty cool way to present buttons and awards, but I've been concerned as to whether they slow down loading a site. I don't want to do anything else that would make my site slower to load.

Lee
Tossing It Out

Vicki Rocho said...

I love deer...but I'm scared to death hubbers is going to hit one on his way to work in the wee hours of the morning and be seriously injured. He's had more close calls than I care to think about.

Congrats on the award!

Lisa Potts said...

Congrats on the award! We're looking for snow here this weekend also which makes it feel like Christmas. Keep us posted on the beautiful wolves.

laughingwolf said...

yup, ALL predators are needed, including those that can kill humans, like sharks, snakes and polar bears... no wolf, sick or healthy, has ever been documented as having killed a single human being, in north america, hence the legend of the big bad wolf is hype! GRRRRR

as for age requirements, it's to protect your rights as a minor, and theirs as publishers...

Shelley said...

Congrats on getting the award, even though I have no idea what it means! :) Hope the snow keep on coming where you are! I love snow too! :)

The Golden Eagle said...

Cherry: Thank you! :)

Stephen: I didn't know about NJ. *sigh*

Yes, let's hope they don't hunt wolves back onto the endangered list!

Angela: That's doesn't sound good. I hope the state figures something out!

Carol: You do? Thank you so much, Carol! :)

Old Kitty: Thanks! I read your entry--I love the way you described the garden! It is a fun blogfest. :)

Thank you!

Yes, we need the wolves!

It is. Unfortunately, there's some ice out there . . . but everything's white and pretty. :)

Quinn: Thanks, Quinn!

I hope you enjoy reading it!

The Happy Whisk: Thank you for the support! :)

Tyrean: Very true. Both about there being enough poachers already, and that wolves are wonderful creatures!

Mason: Thank you!

I know. Off the endangered list, back onto the hunting list! :(

I'm not so sure about being wise . . . I just try to be reasonable.

Clarissa: Of course you're bright, and smart! You do so much so well, and you're an amazing blogger. :)

Thanks!

LOL. Homeschooling does have its advantages. Not so sure about myself, but I'm sure that your son is getting the best education with a mom like you!

I don't mind the cold, so winter weather doesn't bother me. :)

The Golden Eagle said...

Alex: Thank you!

I agree.

Sending snow your way! ;D

Jai: Thank goodness' L'Aussie explained it! :)

Just seems wrong, hunting them when they're not even much of a problem. There wasn't anything about a wolf attacking a person in the article I read--just some livestock. And they've got to eat something!

Colene: Thanks, Colene!

The Words Crafter: I love writing posts like this. Hopefully it's not too much information for you bloggers!

*sends more snow*

Thanks!

Yes, we do need good guys! :)

Jules: Don't worry about that--many people could live in a place like that!

Thank you!

Agreed.

Really? Cool! I'd definitely read it!

Let It Snow indeed!

Petty Witter: I love learning more about people too--and I guess I should tell people about myself in return. :)

Nope, I'm not 18 yet.

Thank you for the compliment!

Joanna: Is that a problem for my blog? Because I can always put it at the bottom instead so you can see if I've posted.

I don't mind! Be as random as you want in the comments. :)

Thank you!

It has its possibilities--I'm not sure I'd use it myself, but it's nice to have writing options.

I don't mind. I get to do a lot of other stuff besides play in the snow. :D

Summer: Thanks, Summer!

Hooray for all this wolfish support. :D

Could help you get a publishing deal. You never know!

Part of the reason you call yourself Summer, I'm guessing? :) Probably I don't mind winter as much because I don't have to drive in it yet . . . LOL.

Holly: Thank you!

Hmmm. I hadn't thought of those. Although, it seems as though if he was traveling a framed photograph would be harder to carry around; a picture just slips into a folder, while a frame is bulkier.

Thanks for pointing them out!

Nancy: That is strange--maybe I will move the playlist if people keep mentioning problems. I want people to be able to see that I've posted!

Thanks, Nancy! And congratulations on receiving it yourself. :)

LOL. Maybe I will "whoop it up" sometime--I haven't done that in a while. :D

The Golden Eagle said...

Alyssa: Thank you!

I know. Humans wreak so much damage on the natural systems.

80?! Wow. It's freezing where I am! :D My mom would love that kind of weather.

Elena: Thanks, Elena!

Go, wolves!

Dominic: Had to pass it on to other Far Dinkums in the blogger community! :)

So that's what pukka means--true Australian. I hadn't know its definition before!

Theresa: Thank you! And I agree--it's one of the most individual that I've seen!

I had to spread the word; I can't stand it when animals are stripped of their rights/protections.

Lee: True. I know a lot of moving gadgets, or ones that have a lot of HTML can slow down a blog significantly, and I wouldn't want that to happen . . .

Vicki: There have been several close calls when my mom was driving at night. Deer can be a problem.

Thanks, Vicki!

Lisa: Thank you!

I hope you get that snow. :) Christmas doesn't feel entirely like Christmas if there isn't snow on the ground.

I will!

Laughingwolf: I didn't know that. Even less reason to go after them!

(At least Peter didn't kill the wolf.)

Figures. It seems ironic that I can go to a social networking site and be bullied/threatened/etc. or do the same myself, but I can't use a writing community.

Shelley: Thank you, Shelley!

According to L'Aussie--who's an Australian--it means "True Blue" or something close to it.

I hope it snows where you are, too! :)

Madeleine said...

I have a key award that you can pass on to anyone who guessed your room's occupant correctly over at mine. Thanks for joining the fest it was great fun to read your entry. :O)