29 December, 2010

Some Things People Have Said

Here's a list:


"There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in their home."

{President and founder of Digital Equipment Kenneth Olsen, 1977.}

(Good heavens. You mean that I've been following a dying trend . . . ?)

"Nuclear-powered vacuum cleaners will probably be a reality in 10 years."

{President of vacuum company Lewyt Alexander Lewyt, 1957.}

(I want a nuclear-powered vacuum cleaner, 'cause that sounds like the ultimate dust-attacker. Apparently, they're quite overdue.)

"With over 50 foreign cars already on sale here, the Japanese auto industry isn't likely to carve out a big slice of the U.S. market."

{Business Week magazine, 1968.}

(And Toyota, Subaru, Suzuki, Mazda, Nissan, Mitsubishi are . . . what, Antarctic?)

"Airplanes are interesting toys but of no military value."

{French military strategist, future World War I Commander Marshal Ferdinand Foch, 1911.}

(Too bad the rest of the world didn't think so . . .)

"[Man will never reach the moon] regardless of all future scientific advances."

{Inventor of the audion tube and father of radio Dr. Lee De Forest, 1967.}

(What about women?)

"[Television] won't be able to hold on to any market it captures after the first six months. People will soon get tired of staring at a plywood box every night."

{Head of 20th Century-Fox Darryl F. Zanuck, 1946.}

(Billions of people must be bored out of their minds, then.)

"This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us."

{Western Union Internal Memo, 1876.}

(Email, right?)

"The Earth is the center of the universe."

{Ptolemy, 2nd Century.}

(And the USA is the center of the Earth.

Just kidding about that. Really. It's not. It's important, but not the center.)

"Nothing of importance happened today."

{King George III of England, July 4th 1776.}


(Nothing like, you know, the colonies declaring their independence from under good ol' George's rule?)

"Everything that can be invented has been invented."

{U.S. Commissioner of Patents, Charles H. Duell, 1899.}

(Then where were all the patents for computers and whatnot? Don't tell me the U.S. Patent Office has been holding out on us since 1899 . . .)

"These Google guys, they want to be billionaires and rock stars and go to conferences and all that. Let us see if they still want to run the business in two to three years."

{CEO of Microsoft Bill Gates, 2003.}

(Rock stars? You can become a rock star by starting up an Internet search provider? I'm there.)


Got anything to add? Any stupid/funny quotes you know of?

-----The Golden Eagle

32 comments:

Sofia said...

This is awesome Eagle! I don't have any quotes though.

~Sofie

Summer Ross said...

LOL, I enjoyed reading these! Thanks for posting

The Words Crafter said...

Way cool post! How in the world did you find all that? I'm impressed.

I have goodies for you over on my blog, though I think you've gotten them before :)

Theresa Milstein said...

"Nothing of importance happened today."

{King George III of England, July 4th 1776.}

I think the man was in denial.

"Everything that can be invented has been invented."

I said the same thing to my 5th-grade teacher. I guess I was wrong too.

These made me laugh. Thanks!

Kelley said...

These are great! Im so glad you posted them a lovely thing to brighten my afternoon :)

Kari Marie said...

These are great. I've got nothing to add though :(

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

Here's one:

"Guitar groups are on the way out, Mr. Epstein."

The head of Decca Records to the Beatles' manager after the Beatles auditioned for Decca--and were rejected. Eventually, of course, the Beatles wound up at EMI, where they decidedly proved guitar groups were going anywhere but out.

Rachel Morgan said...

Ha ha! These are so funny, I love them! Especially the one about the TV not lasting...

Liz Pezzuto said...

These are excellent. I especially love the technology related ones.

I was just reflecting the other day how Google was basically non-existent 10 years ago, with Yahoo being the dominant search engine. Now "google" is established in the dictionary as a verb for searching the internet, not to mention it's also the most widely used search engine today.

Nicole MacDonald said...

*lol* our theory is we're totally safe here in NZ cause if aliens invade or a giant meteor is going to hit it's gonna be the USA ;p

(p.s interested in reviewing my book? I've got a PDF with your name on it *grin*)

The Arrival, book one of the BirthRight Trilogy, available on Amazon 1.1.2011
www.damselinadirtydress.com

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I want to be a rock star! And ironic that the most reliable cars are all Japanese...

N. R. Williams said...

Hysterical or maybe historical, anyway, so funny. I think in a few years there will be some quote from a big name publisher to add about e-readers.
King George just didn't get the fax, that's all.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, fantasy author

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Wonderful post! I loved reading them. How on the earth did you find so many different quotes?

Have a wonderful new year!

Kirthi said...

Haha, these are cool quotes ^_^ Nuclear powered vacuum cleaners sounds dangerous though ^_^

Old Kitty said...

I think something like "he'll never amount to anything" was said by Albert Einstein's teacher about him - I think! :-)

Take care
x

Carol Kilgore said...

What in the world was the Commissioner of Patents thinking?!? I want a nuclear powered vacuum...and a robot to use it!

Su said...

Hee hee. I think billions of people probably are bored out of their minds, but there's nothing better on.

Jemi Fraser said...

Love these! I have the "Everything that can be invented..." up in my classroom - the kids always get a kick out of it! :)

Mason Canyon said...

Love these quotes. Thanks for sharing.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Sun Singer said...

This list proves that it's much safe to say nothing. :-)

Malcolm

Charles Gramlich said...

Ahh the collected wisdom of this race we call human.

Brian said...

Those are sure funny, glad I did't sY any of those!

Milo James Fowler said...

These are great; so glad they've all been proven wrong.

As a writer, I always get a kick out of rejections like this one:

"It is impossible to sell animal stories in the USA" - received by George Orwell when he subbed Animal Farm.

Caroline said...

LOL love these!!:) Especially the telephone and tv not catching on...cause, wow, those are NOT popular. :P

TerryLynnJohnson said...

Ha ha! Great laughs here!

gideon 86 said...

I just loved your comments afterwards. You are very witty.

I really enjoyed this post.

Have a wonderful and healthy new year.

Michael

Tracey Neithercott said...

I loved these! I don't know of any but I think I remember one about Apple and how iPhones would never catch on. So fun!

Madeleine said...

Great quotes, shows that things are not as impossible as we might think. Very thought provoking :O)

Francine Howarth said...

Hi,

Thanks for dropping by my New Year blog post.

And, many thanks for giving me something to laugh at in a moment of mad-rush blogging pre-New Year revelry. ;)

best
F

The Golden Eagle said...

Sofia: Glad you liked it! :)

Summer: You're welcome!

The Words Crafter: Thanks!

I found some of them on www.fool.com via the Zemanta widget I have, and I also had a book with trivia in it. I love reading about these kinds of things. :D

I saw your post--it was so nice of you to award all of your followers! And no, I haven't gotten all of them before so . . . I think I might snag one in an upcoming post.

Theresa: Yeah.

LOL. It would be an interesting world where nothing new would be invented . . .

You're welcome! :)

Kelley: I'm glad you enjoyed them!

Kari: No problem, I'm glad you liked them--thanks for coming by!

Sandra: Oh, I've heard that one! Pretty ironic. :D

Thanks for sharing!

Rachel: Glad you liked them!

That was definitely wrong--LOL.

Liz: I use Google every day, for blogging, email, word and image searches, almost everything . . . it's amazing how they just sprung up.

Nicole: Ack! Sounds like I'd better go prepare for an attack, then! ;D

I'd love to review your book! It sounds like an amazing Fantasy!

Alex: LOL. Or a really famous author?

Ford made it up the list, didn't it? It's not the most reliable, but I don't think it was reported as the worst, either.

The Golden Eagle said...

Nancy: Hysterically historical, historically hysterical . . . they're so interchangeable. :D

The clerk forgot to forward it after the fax arrived.

Sharon: I'm glad you liked it! :)

Books, links from Zemanta, (I love that widget, despite previous annoyances) and some Google "stupid quotes" searches.

Happy New Year to you, too!

Kirthi: A little. But can you imagine what kind of cleaning job they'd get done?

Old Kitty: He had trouble in school or something, didn't he?

So much for that. :D

Carol: That he wanted to retire?

A robotic part would definitely help!

Su: There are too few good stations; the only one we watch is PBS, which stays rather non-boring. :)

Jemi: LOL. I'll bet the Commissioner wasn't laughing, though! :P

Mason: You're welcome!

Malcolm: Exactly!

Charles: Aliens must be so darned impressed.

The Golden Eagle said...

Brian: Me, too!

Milo: It is a good thing that some of these haven't come true!

Well, that rejection certainly didn't stick!

Thanks for sharing!

Caroline: They are rather, aren't they? Of course people don't carry around phones and stare at boxes . . . how strange to do so!

;D

Terry: Glad you enjoyed them!

Michael: Thanks! I'm glad you liked the post!

Happy New Year to you too!

Tracey: Someone probably did say that--like Decca rejecting the Beatles. :D

Madeleine: Keep up the hope!

Francine: You're very welcome! Glad you liked the post. :)